505 auto s/w reverse lights
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 505 auto s/w reverse lights

Does anyone have a solution to the problem of reverse lights not working on 505 autos. Mine is an 85 SR wagon, and I don't know whether it applies to sedans as well.
    So far, expert advice is that the switch or housing wears and even a new switch does not fix it. Adjusting the seating of the switch with bushes can get starting or reverse lights, but not both.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rustyfrog
    Does anyone have a solution to the problem of reverse lights not working on 505 autos. Mine is an 85 SR wagon, and I don't know whether it applies to sedans as well.
    So far, expert advice is that the switch or housing wears and even a new switch does not fix it. Adjusting the seating of the switch with bushes can get starting or reverse lights, but not both.

Any ideas?
    Hey Rusty,
    Had the same problem in an '84 505 wagon. I am fairly sure it was the switch, never did get round to fixing it b4 I sold it though. It was an intermitent hasle, and some days when it was in an indifferent mood, you would get a rev/light flash as you put the car in reverse, but as you let go of the T-bar, the lights would go out. A slight adjustment to the T-bar positioning may help.
    Good luck, Cheers

That failing, how about running some extra wires into the cabin to a disrcetely located click switch that you can use manually? I've got one linked to a halogen driving light that doubles to discourages tail-gaters on high beam.

cheers edgedweller

Originally posted by edgedweller
    That failing, how about running some extra wires into the cabin to a disrcetely located click switch that you can use manually? I've got one linked to a halogen driving light that doubles to discourages tail-gaters on high beam.
    You're kidding of course?

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller

cheers edgedweller
    This ranks up with the moron who hitched up a grease gun to the exhaust flange, so as to "make smoke" in the event he was perused.

The traffic Sergent spent days trying to find extra charges to book him with.
    End result:
    -Car impounded
    -Car defected
    -Neg driving
    -loss of licence for 18 mths, (Magistrate in an especially bad mood that day).
    -$3000 fine
    -inability to operate even a skateboard, without being closely monitored by the lads in blue.

Is there an offence of stupidity in NSW traffic law!!!
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Default Not kidding

So fellows, please to tell me why this is such a silly idea?

Cheers edgedweller

You've also had such a trick pulled on you?

It happened to me once, on the Hume Highway near the Wagga turnoff... a truck suddenly had a million candlepower blasting out the back... I couldn't see a thing!

Just the thing that's needed to enhance road safety...

I've said it plenty of times before... let tailgaters worry about themselves! They probably know what they are doing, and the most likely thing they are doing is just waiting a chance to cruise on by you.

Any step you take to shake them off your tail will only make matters worse...

So fellows, please to tell me why this is such a silly idea?

Cheers edgedweller
    As much as it sounds tempting, (tail-gaters are a pain,) I thought that this one was one of those, yes it would be good but the negatives out-way the positives. Never thought anyone would actually do it....that truckie should know better. Ray you are lucky to come out un-harmed. Natural reaction would be to close ones eyes....

Well, because you are blinded the natural reaction is more to hit the brakes... and hard!

This can be a real problem... fortunately it was only on for a couple of seconds, but it was still a very real problem. Then he did it again!

The truck was actually going quite slowly up the big hill, and I have no idea why he did it, I had come up behind him, but so must a thousand other cars that night...

So is that the only problem?
    I have mistated its use, as expected it's a killer reversing light.

And the rest of it has much a longer gestation than that; travelled for years and years, long distances at night and had on many occassions been distracted by someone following at a k or 2 steadfastley on highbeam because they though it was at sufficient distance, up hill, down dale, round corners...flash, slow down speed up...flash, can't get rid of it, their pacing off me, tap, tap brakes, alternate indicators, no effect...flash. And in those dreaming days I thought to develop a fix. Fifteen years later I fitted it, haven't used it in six years but it's there and like the Cibies up front always looking for the opportunity.

Most of those miles done either side of the dividing range from Sydney to Townsville and back through to Adelaide. But it seems I only drive cabs at night these days.

And just to freak you out, on these trips I would on occassion comeup behind someone at perfect pace for me, dim my headlights and pace off them 20 -30 metres behind, sometimes for many miles, an ethereal and exhilarating experience.

cheers edgedweller

Is there anything wrong with having an internal switch, one of those lit rocker ones, next to elec. fan switch on dash?

edgedweller

Tadpole

Well thanks for the helpfull replies folks!

Apart from adjusting the selector, I'm no further.

I actually had thought of connectin the reverse wire up to the emergency flashers, which must have an always-on contact somewhere. (Never ask an Irishman to check whether your trailer lights are working - they say "Now they're working, now they're not, now they're working etc)

Any thoughts on selectors, or flashers? Keep it nice!

rustyfrog... I'm sure your answer lies in the switch on the gearbox... and I'd say you should change that.

edgedweller... I'm quite sure it's illegal to have a white light facing rearward (of any intensity...) that's not switched on by putting the car into reverse gear.

403's don't have switches for such a thing, lining one up to linkage would be a nightmare, am I to be ever compelled to reverse in the dark (only in darkness of course)?

edgedweller

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i can only speak for NSW but if a car is fitted with reverse lights they must come on when the gear selector is in the reverse position

you are not allowed to have a switch to turn them on otherwise the car will not pass a roadworthy

it will be all down to wear
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

403's don't have switches for such a thing, lining one up to linkage would be a nightmare, am I to be ever compelled to reverse in the dark (only in darkness of course)?

edgedweller

a 403 didn't come fitted with reversing lights so you are safe there

yes i did once have a spot light for a reversing light and it was hooked up to the reverse light switch on the box so it only came on when reversing

i was pinged for having a rearward facing driving light even though it was hooked up as per a normal reversing light

of course there are a few cars out there where the switch is located on them can be accidently used if you push or pull the lever a certain way whilest driving in a forward direction and i would dare say this was the problem ray faced that night behind the truck

TE ond TF cortinas are one that come to mind

you can pull the lever slightly just by resting your hand on it while in 4th gear and the reverse lights will come on
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

You know, you could be right about that! It could have been that his 'reversing light' (1 million candlepower, put a Cibie to shame!) came on with each of his gearchanges as he clawed his way up that hill!

Icon7

Rusty,

I think somehow you've posted this thread twice, it also appears in the Peugeot Forum. There's a couple of replies in there relating to your original question:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18526

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Thread Information