upside down konis or not?
  • Register
  • Help

Default upside down konis or not?

got some yellow konis put on the rear of my 205 today,when i got it to my brothers we had a
    look and i was wondering if they have indeed been put on upside down,
    the chrome leg is
    attatched to the top bolt and i thought the instructions said the other way round.i could be
    wrong and was after some assistence.
    please look at fotos ,they are not prize winning fotos but
    you can see the chrome arm end attatched to the top ,it might be right but it just dont look
    right.
    you are looking at the drivers side .please help-BAZZ

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails upside down konis or not?-koni-shot-1.jpg   upside down konis or not?-koni-shot-2.jpg  

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'd say it would be right as they physically can't go the other way around

it is strange though looking under the back of a pug and seeing a shock near horizontal
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i'd say it would be right as they physically can't go the other way around

it is strange though looking under the back of a pug and seeing a shock near horizontal

oh i see ,so its probably safe to assume they are in correctly.you mean the yellow end wont fit up there.?
    its funny how the camera angle does make it look like they are horizontal,they do go up at a fuuny angle and the camers angle makes it look more radical,it amazed me when i first got the car as i had never seen a torsion bar/shocker setup.i used to own 504's and as you would know are nothing like the 205 gti little beasty,radical-BAZZ

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

yeah the bottom end of the shock is like a clevis with a bush in it to allow a bolt to go through to hold it where as the top has a threaded end on it from the looks to be held in place with 2 nuts and some rubber bushes so to put them in upside down would need to modify the rear end so i'd say you are pretty safe

the first time i ever looked underneath the 405 i had i nearly had a heart attack thinking there is something wrong here

i had just gone from a 604 with the shocks nice and upright as per normal

then when i got the 306 i was still shocked but i was getting used to the idea that they were nearly laying on their side

ah the joys of having the best of both worlds here

a RWD 604 and a FWD 306 sports car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I was wondering why the top had a built in rubber bush but the bottom part didnt,that explains it,i would have put them in topsy turvy if i had of installed them which i was going[well would have tried] to but i put my back out yesterday and wimped out and let the fitter do his thing.
    it cost me money but not pain ,money i can handle,pain id rather do without.it looked to me when you see it close up that the shocks would have fit the other way around,maybe i would have worked it out anyway if they wont fit the other way round.-BAZZ

I take it you found some and don't want to wait for the next shipment then?

These would have to be gas-hydraulics to work at that angle... which they are. Normal hydraulic dampers won't work at such shallow angles because air gets into the working chamber.

assumption correct mate,i had to get them as mine were totalled ,couldnt wait anylonger unfortunatly.but i didnt want to risk studffing up the torsion bar setup so i got them.i paid $335 which is not as cheap as the quote you gave buy still a bit cheaper than retail-BAZZ

i am actually hoping to get someone with these shockers fitted to have a quick squizz under there car and tell me if mine are around the right way,thanks to all for their comments-BAZZ

1000+ Posts

Bazz, the Mi16 is the same, so I assume that it's right.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Bazz, the Mi16 is the same, so I assume that it's right.

thanks mate,i think your right but thet just dont look right!!??.i would assume they would go around the other way .but we all know about assumption .-BAZZ

Thread Information