Smokey 205
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Smokey 205

Tadpole

Default Smokey 205

My 86 205GTI is smokin.... really bad...

I bought i 205 about 3 months ago and it smokes. As soon as I changed the oil it started to smoke. The dealership I bought it off must have been running honey, moreys or just stop smoke, instead of oil.

The little car has only 168000km on the clock... a very clean car.

The 205 still goes really hard but smokes at the lights, after sitting idling for a while it will leave in a cloud of smoke. It doesn't really bother me, but the people sitting behind me are getting the shits.

I am wondering if I can just replace the valve guides, has any been successful with that? I am running castrol gtx magnetic oil. It might be a bit thin. What is the thickest i could go to with a overhead cam engine? to delay the inevitable rebuild!

Are there any breathing issues with 205? it is only smoking below 2grand. Could the car be sucking up oil vapour from the sump, into the intake via the weird lookin oil cap?

I believe the only way to fix the smoking is to rebuild the whole engine. I have been quoted between $4500 to $5500 by regal motor in Newcastle. I believe this quote was to get me to go away, they don't want the work. What have other people payed for a rebuild of a 205??

I love driving the nuts off the little car... it's like a mini on steroids.

any info would be appreciate

Mike

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mike205

I bought i 205 about 3 months ago and it smokes. As soon as I changed the oil it started to smoke. The dealership I bought it off must have been running honey, moreys or just stop smoke, instead of oil.

The 205 still goes really hard but smokes at the lights, after sitting idling for a while it will leave in a cloud of smoke. It doesn't really bother me, but the people sitting behind me are getting the shits.

I am wondering if I can just replace the valve guides, has any been successful with that? I am running castrol gtx magnetic oil. It might be a bit thin. What is the thickest i could go to with a overhead cam engine? to delay the inevitable rebuild!

Are there any breathing issues with 205? it is only smoking below 2grand. Could the car be sucking up oil vapour from the sump, into the intake via the weird lookin oil cap?

I believe the only way to fix the smoking is to rebuild the whole engine. I have been quoted between $4500 to $5500 by regal motor in Newcastle. I believe this quote was to get me to go away, they don't want the work. What have other people payed for a rebuild of a 205??

Mike
    I could sell you a motor in good condition and going well, ex Citroen BX 19TRI (same as 205 GTI). Not sure what they are worth, $1000 is probably about right. I am in Melbourne.
    Graham

hi mike,

welcome to af .

yeah, the valve stem seals/guides will probably need replacing.

maybe you need to also check the condition of your air filter replacement, and the condition of your sparkies.

you might want to use an aftermarket injector cleaner for a temporary measure. see if this makes a difference.

cheers.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

oh yeah, just another thang, ive been on several melbourne cruises and have had some fruitcakes errr, 206gti drivers complain about the smoke coming out the back of my gti.

my gti's now pushing 300,000 kays and still pulls harder than a 2 buck whore.

since using an injector cleaner, the smoke has now dissipated to being now non-existent on mild acceleration, however, still smokes upon start up and extremely hard acceleration - which is pretty much how i drive it in every gear !
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by mike205

Mike

Sound definately like valve stem seals, this is a common problem with 205s especially if they have been sitting for a while.

Should not cost more than $600 to fix, it cost me $12 but I did the work myself.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Default 205

Why would you give your car to Regal Motors? Try McNaughton Engine Reconditioners at Wallsend (49 501 640). I had a chat with these guys about my 505 a while back about porting/polishing and they said that they had recently worked and rebuilt a 205GTi motor, and they didn't mention anywhere near that much (they also stated that "it went like a scalded cat when we gave it back to him"), and as an added bonus they will actually know what they're doing. If it was me I'd talk turkey with Graeme.

1000+ Posts

There's an even chance that you could get another 100,000km out of the bottom end if it's been serviced. I'd look at only the head (guides) at this stage if I were you (unless you particularly want to recon the rest).

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Get someone who knows what they're doing and the valve stem seals can be replaced without even removing the head, they do it overseas aoll the time.
    They use either compressed air or rope down the plug holes and a valve lifter that works without having to be on the valve face.
    Apparently it's not all that big a job as Parry has suggested.
    Here's how the job is done in pics.
    If you can read Japanese; that's a bonus.

http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/moribayashi/bxvstem.html

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

That is pretty cool being able to replace stem seals without removing head... Now we just need a simpler way to change the cambelt
    Daniel Djuracic

Ex UK spec 89 309
    206 XT 1.6 16V (Diablo Red)with Peugeot Lion in back windows

Thread Information