205 2nd fan thermostat job
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 2nd fan thermostat job

in my 205 the second fan dosnt get used cause im not running the air con,i was thinking because summers coming on i may put in a variable thermostat hooked up to 2nd fan to come on when it gets too hot.
    they have a kit at the local autobarn for about $85 with everything included,you just put the temp sensor in a radiator hose and play around till it turns on at the desired temp.
    anyone done this to there 205?oh buy the way my radiator is nearly stuffed and this will be done about the same time.
    the car usually dosnt get too hot but does in hot weather stop/start traffic.also as the oil is helped to be cooled with the coolant in the oil cooler ,im sure it would help this also as the oil seems to get hotter [or so the gauge which i havnt had tested says]than the engine water temp.the radiator has a small leak at the bottom and when tested was told it was about a third full of shirt.this is the reason for replacment.
    its running about normal 205 temp now so might be better after new radiator.
    by the way,european auto imports quoted me $350 for a valeo 205 gti radiator,great price especially if you take into account what peugeot want[$980].
    for all who are interested i was quoted about $100 to install it-BAZZ

Advertisement

I am not sure how they are wired, but I thought both fans came in on temp. Why not just loop a wire across to the other fan relay and have them both operate on temp and with the A/C. You may have to put a diode in the circuit back to the compressor clutch, as the clutch may come in when the temp rose and operated the relays.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    I am not sure how they are wired, but I thought both fans came in on temp. Why not just loop a wire across to the other fan relay and have them both operate on temp and with the A/C. You may have to put a diode in the circuit back to the compressor clutch, as the clutch may come in when the temp rose and operated the relays.
    in my s1 205 i fan is for the air con and only gets used when its on,not sure about later models,i think the variable thermostat will be an easier job im not sure about wiring the fans together though=BAZZ

One wire and a diode. I would say it does not get much easier. If you are capable of fitting the new temp pickup and wiring for the mod you propose, you could do it my way, and for $2,(a 150mm loop of wire and a possible diode) instead of $50 and ending up with a dodgy looking sensor bulb being pushed under the top hose and wiring running all over the place.

I expect that the two relays for the fans will be together. This is what makes it easy. Check your wiring diagram in your manual to see how it is run.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

your might be right mate but i usually get my mechanic to install these sort of things anyway
    .i dont really like doing electrics on my car.and if there i s not 2 fan relays together my mechanic will know what to do.i apreciate your input and advice but i really do want a variable thermostat on the second fan,lets just say ive made up my mind and im stubborn.
    youre idea would probably be easier for someone who knows what to do if the expectant is not fullfilled and probably save me money, but with the variable therm i have the ability to adjust it according to the weather.-BAZZ

Thread Information