205 Diff Quandry On The Quaife
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default 205 Diff Quandry On The Quaife

    the diff in my 205 has a bit of slop in it and i was wondering what to do about it.
    im thinking of either getting it recoed or putting a quaife diff in,
    i dont race or rally the car and wont in the future but im sure rebuilding my pug diff isnt going to be cheap and getting a quaife probably wouldnt be much more.
    im only guessing as i have not researched it yet and was wondering what the general consensus is.
    i know all the benifits of lsd diff but is it really over the top for a road going car,i plan to keep it for a long time and was thinking the quaife might be the better option,your experienced opinions please-BAZZ

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    the diff in my 205 has a bit of slop in it and i was wondering what to do about it.
    im thinking of either getting it recoed or putting a quaife diff in,
    i dont race or rally the car and wont in the future but im sure rebuilding my pug diff isnt going to be cheap and getting a quaife probably wouldnt be much more.
    im only guessing as i have not researched it yet and was wondering what the general consensus is.
    i know all the benifits of lsd diff but is it really over the top for a road going car,i plan to keep it for a long time and was thinking the quaife might be the better option,your experienced opinions please-BAZZ
    If the diff goes and it probably will, it will take the entire gearbox with it!
    My 205 SI had what I thought was a drive shaft noise, didn't go away when I changed it. It went away when I put the Quaife in!
    On another related matter the knock I had in the front end of this car, and one that I had spent heaps of time trying to find turned out to be a bolt missing out of the bonnet hinge!!
    Graham

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! rogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    139

    Default

    can someone please explain to me what are diffs? in lamens terms preferably!

    thankyou

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts pottsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Northern Suburbs
    Posts
    1,018

    Default What's the Diff?

    Jeez! You don't ask much do you?

    The Diff is short for the Differential. This is the part of the drive train which transfers the output of the gearbox to both of the wheels. It is a gear arrangement which converts the single output shaft of the geartrain into two shafts, one going to each wheel. That's the general description, now for the trickier part. It's called a differential drive because it contains a second gear set internally which allows independent rotation of each of the output shafts. This is needed to compensate for the different speeds that each wheel must travel when the car is going around a corner.

    To understand this you need to visualise a long line of marching girls (or soldiers if you prefer.) marching along side by side. When they need to go around a corner, whilst maintaining the straightness of the line, the marchers on the inside end of the line have to take little short mincy steps, while the ones at the outside end have to take long strides. They are unconsciously imitating the action of a diff.

    The components of the diff are generally called the crownwheel, pinion, and spider (or differential) gears. The pinion is the input shaft. It has a gear on it which meshes with the crown wheel which is a larger gear and changes the axis of drive by 90 degrees. The differential gears are driven by the crown wheel and these output the drive through each side of the diff housing to the wheels.

    The actual gearset inside (The differential gears) you would really have to see, and play with, to understand. I've tried describing it in print before, and have never been truly successful.

    The end result of all this is that when the car is going straight ahead, the drive to each of the wheels is at the same speed. When cornering, a difference in speed between the left and right wheels is needed, and is allowed by the differential drive. Once the car is going straight again, all is back to normal. Simple eh? (Get a mate to do a bit of very slow circle work and watch the inside wheel go slow while the outside one has to spin faster to keep up.)

    "Conventional" cars, with the engine in line with a gearbox behind it and driving the back wheels, have the differential mounted at the back, in it's own housing, with the driveshaft from the gearbox entering at the front and the two output shafts either side extending out to the wheels.

    In front wheel drive cars the diff assembly is generally located in the same casing as the gearbox. In some cases, such as the Mini, the diff and gearbox are located in the sump of the motor and share the same oil!

    Hope this helps!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

    The Fleet:

    2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    If the diff goes and it probably will, it will take the entire gearbox with it!
    My 205 SI had what I thought was a drive shaft noise, didn't go away when I changed it. It went away when I put the Quaife in!
    On another related matter the knock I had in the front end of this car, and one that I had spen
    t heaps of time trying to find turned out to be a bolt missing out of the bonnet hinge!!
    Graham

    ha ha ha ha,thats funny graham.its a good point about the diff takin the rest of the box with it.
    i might look into this early next year when the contract pays out and the money allows.
    do you think its over the top though for everyday driving.[albeit everyday passionate driving]
    or will it cost the same to have it recoed anyway?-bazz

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    ha ha ha ha,thats funny graham.its a good point about the diff takin the rest of the box with it.
    i might look into this early next year when the contract pays out and the money allows.
    do you think its over the top though for everyday driving.[albeit everyday passionate driving]
    or will it cost the same to have it recoed anyway?-bazz
    If your diff has play, it may be on the verge of spitting the parts out through the box. However, it is probably cheaper to buy a relacement box than the Quaife and you could upgrade to a BE3, probably more a useful improvement than the Quaife for normal road driving.
    Graham

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    can someone please explain to me what are diffs? in lamens terms preferably!

    thankyou
    When the car goes around a corner, say a tight left-hander, the inside wheels on your car (in this case, the left wheels) should rotate at a slower rate than your outside wheels (the right wheels) because the radius of the corner where your left wheels travel is smaller than the radius of the corner at your right wheels. The inside wheels need to rotate at a slower rate than the outside wheels so that both cover the same distance at the same time, otherwise the wheels will be 'fighting' each other. A differential is just a mechanical device which lets the inside wheels spin at a slower rate than the outside wheels.
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    If your diff has play, it may be on the verge of spitting the parts out through the box. However, it is probably cheaper to buy a relacement box than the Quaife and you could upgrade to a BE3, probably more a useful improvement than the Quaife for normal road driving.
    Graham
    mines a series 1 and it has a be3 box in it already!
    ,would you hazzard a guess as to the cost of recoeing the diff?i would have thought about 2000 + for parts and labour but im not sure as i have not researched it yet.-BAZZ

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts cam85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bondi
    Posts
    3,352

    Default

    Hey Bazz.
    My mate had a LSD in his 205. He drove it every day and to be honest i wish i had it in my for the simple reason that you can go confidently faster through corners because of the extra traction you have, and also its gives the wheel a little more feel.(not saying that 205s have no feel). But in the meaning of feel also means a little heavier. But the advantages outway the disadvantages by FAR.

    Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    yeah it would be good but ive been offered a low k diff out of a box that a quaife went in for $50 so i think ill whack that in as its too cheap to knock back providing its all good-BAZZ

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts cam85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bondi
    Posts
    3,352

    Default

    Does the Guy still have the Quaffe. Is he selling it.

    Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam85
    Does the Guy still have the Quaffe. Is he selling it.

    Cam

    its not that he is elling one mate but is thinking of importing one and was after people who are interested in getting one also.he is getting a rwd diff and i inquired about the fwd ones.
    give me a buzz when your back in oz-BAZZ

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •