Tyres, tyres, tyres.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Tyres, tyres, tyres.

I am after opinions on the difference between the MXV8s and the XM1s.
    I cannot find info on the wear rateing for either.
    I am running the 195/60/15 MXV8 on the SII and am quite happy.
    But the cost$$$$$$.

I am doing 45-50,000 a year over the usual NSW cattle tracks, any thoughts.

Advertisement
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Didn't the XM1 replace the horrid Cetris? I haven't heard much about them at this stage.

Plenty of other tyres I'd spend my $$s on though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma
    I am after opinions on the difference between the MXV8s and the XM1s.
    I cannot find info on the wear rateing for either.
    I am running the 195/60/15 MXV8 on the SII and am quite happy.
    But the cost$$$$$$.

I am doing 45-50,000 a year over the usual NSW cattle tracks, any thoughts.
    My dad has a 505 sti and 505 gti(both on 505 15's). He is running Bridgestone potenza RE711 tyres on it and they are comming up to 65,000kms still plenty of tread, heaps of grip and great ride. I don't think they make the RE711's anymore, they've been taken over by potenza g3's which I run on my Mi16, I have been quite impressed with them, I used to run michelin but have been dissapointed with them so went to bridgestone. I know the potenza G3's are $130each in Melbourne (don't know in Sydney)
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

We're gettig good comments on Yokohama A539s on the 505 on AF. These are a middle of the road tyre, they're a bit sporty, but still have a long tread life. If you're really after long tread life, than the Yokohama S306 would be cheaper and last a bit longer again.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    We're gettig good comments on Yokohama A539s on the 505 on AF. These are a middle of the road tyre, they're a bit sporty, but still have a long tread life. If you're really after long tread life, than the Yokohama S306 would be cheaper and last a bit longer again.

Long life is good.
    Having the 505 pointing in the intended direction in all conditions is better.
    The V rated MXV 8s come in at $180. XM1s $150.
    G3s are a bargan @ $130.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

A539 will be a tad around $120, I'd guess, and S306 around $100.

The Potenza G3 is a performance tyre, you're not going to get high milege that you seem to be wanting. The ER50 is probably better for you in the Bridgestone range. If you're looking for something a bit sportier, I'd be looking at the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport.

I'd also have a lok at Sumitomo's range. Good value and a very nice tyre. The HTR 200 in particular: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Icon14

I have just put on a set of BF Goodrich g-force a month ago... which very very good tyres... I pay $510 for 4 X 185/60/14 inc balance, fitting & alignment

For 195/55/15 $550 inc fitting (Can be bargain a bit more)

I get it done by Ensign in Melbourne Brandon Park

Very good tyre and price, save

I think one of the magazine compare all diff tyre BF Goodrich g-force come up the first. Please check it out yourself. I have heard even ppl put it on GTR still perform very good
    Jacky
    1995 Peugeot 306 XT 1.8 MT

Performance:
    JAMEX Lower Springs, Griffiths Eng. Quick Shift, K&N Element Replacement Filter, 2 1/4" Catback Custom Make Exhaust with 2 X 3" DTM Style Twin Pipes Outlet, BF g-force 185/65/14

Sound System:
    Sony CDX-F5700, Hertz 4" Split, JBL 6" 2 Way, Alpine MPR-M200, SoundStream EGW-10 10" Sub

Outlook:
    BOSCH Silver Evolution bulbs, Aero Wipers, Momo SliverJet, RAZO Gear Knob, RAZO Carbon Paddle, Sparco Pro 2000

Have a look at the Yokohama Yokohama AV500's too. I've recently fitted a set to my 406, and the more I drive them the more inpresed I'm getting. Excellent in the wet and very quiet once run in. More grip than the Michelins I had before too. Too early to say what wear is like.

Had a yarn with a recent model Beemer 5 series owner who had recently fitted them the other day who was equally impressed.

Around $160 a corner.

I reckon they could be rather nice on a 505 with the right rims.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i think we have goodyear eagle somethings on the 604 (will check in daylight) but if you go to a goodyear tyre centre during december you get 4 tyres for the price of 3

i know this is on nearly every year but a lot of people do over look it so i'd thought it was a good idea to bring it up and maybe save someone around $100 or so
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hagen
    Have a look at the Yokohama Yokohama AV500's too. I've recently fitted a set to my 406, and the more I drive them the more inpresed I'm getting. Excellent in the wet and very quiet once run in. More grip than the Michelins I had before too. Too early to say what wear is like.

Had a yarn with a recent model Beemer 5 series owner who had recently fitted them the other day who was equally impressed.

Around $160 a corner.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod, yeah, I was going to suggest these, I just couldn't remember how much you paid for them. I reckon they're the pick of the bunch for country driving.

The BFs are good, great even, but I'm not sure how they'd wear and if they'd be quiet enough for lots of country driving.

I reckon even with the 4 for 3 deal that it's wise to call around for the best price on some Goodyears. sometihng like the Goodyear Ventura would work well enough there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hagen

Around $160 a corner.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod, yeah, I was going to suggest these, I just couldn't remember how much you paid for them. I reckon they're the pick of the bunch for country driving.

The BFs are good, great even, but I'm not sure how they'd wear and if they'd be quiet enough for lots of country driving.

I reckon even with the 4 for 3 deal that it's wise to call around for the best price on some Goodyears. sometihng like the Goodyear Ventura or Revspecs (which are sportier, but woudn't make as much noise as the f1 GS-D2) would work well enough there.

Thread Information