404s with saggy bums
  • Register
  • Help

Default 404s with saggy bums

My 404 is sagging in the bum, quite a lot... comes to most of us with age. It's probably time for a new set of coil springs. I understand Kings Springs can make a set, and beef them up a bit.

Has anyone any experience with improving rear springs for the 404? Do 504 coils go in? (I suspect not. ) Has anyone had Kings Springs make them a set, if so were they good?

Advertisement

I doubt that 'beefing them up a bit' will actually achieve any good...

No decent original springs hanging around?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

have a talk to Graham Wallis about suspension but if it were me i would be putting something a little heavier in there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

403 rear springs are a little heavier or taller and will raise the back of a 404. Of course this all depends on how sagged the 403 springs are, which you find. With a little sag, they may be roughly equivalent to new 404 springs.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    403 rear springs are a little heavier or taller and will raise the back of a 404. Of course this all depends on how sagged the 403 springs are, which you find. With a little sag, they may be roughly equivalent to new 404 springs.

Dave
    Thanks, Dave, that's worth looking at... I have a dead 403 in the paddock which is too rusty to warrant restoration, so I might give this a try.

I recently helped a mate buy a 505GR which had Kings Springs fitted with 20% stiffening - it certainly reduced body roll on the 505 and made it a tighter, better handling car, though reducing the quality of the ride a little...hence my flirtation with the idea of getting Kings to make springs beefed up a little

Chris

There are, of course, two completely different types of 403 spring mounts... I'd imagine the springs would be different as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    There are, of course, two completely different types of 403 spring mounts... I'd imagine the springs would be different as well?
    I don't know anything about 403's. But the springs in my 404 were out of a 403B.

Hope this helps

Jarrod

Icon7 spring in the bum?

G'day, somewhere under the bench are the springs from the 504 diesel. Theyare certainly stiff. If interested I can measure them against the 404 ones and have them at the "Nest" when you next go past.
    Phil

They're way too stiff, Phil...

Not only because they come from a heavier car, but they also have a leverage of nearly 2:1 on them.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

They're way too stiff, Phil...

Not only because they come from a heavier car, but they also have a leverage of nearly 2:1 on them.

at least it would get rid of some of that damn bodyroll
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

VIP Sponsor

Any 403 springs from telescopic shocker models will be around 10mm lower than the 404 springs. They are good to put in 404s fitted with gas rear shockers. It brings the height back to standard.
    If anything I reckon 404 rear springs are too hard (for example they are terrible on speed humps) and I've never had any that have sagged so I guess I'm not much help!
    The early 403 springs are much higher, not suitable unless you are doing a long trip with a fully loaded car.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Any 403 springs from telescopic shocker models will be around 10mm lower than the 404 springs. They are good to put in 404s fitted with gas rear shockers. It brings the height back to standard.
    If anything I reckon 404 rear springs are too hard (for example they are terrible on speed humps) and I've never had any that have sagged so I guess I'm not much help!
    The early 403 springs are much higher, not suitable unless you are doing a long trip with a fully loaded car.
    Graham
    Thanks, guys - this sounds like a good solution, and at nil cost! The rusted out 403 I have is a 403B I think, so I will get under it and started disembowelling it over the weekend .

It's a 403B if it has the springs on top of the axle...

Not if the springs are on box-section radius arms.

If that fails I have 2 sets from 404 sedans available. One still in the car.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by acreid
    Thanks, guys - this sounds like a good solution, and at nil cost! The rusted out 403 I have is a 403B I think, so I will get under it and started disembowelling it over the weekend .
    If it is a 403B it will have shorter springs than for the 404, I thought you wanted to raise the car?
    Graham

My mistake, I want early 403 springs, since I want to raise the car. Colin Handley thinks he has a couple of sets of 403 springs, so I'll look for the longest pair. I do have other 404 springs, but if mine have sagged I assume the others would be much the same...but that may be a wrong assumption. Thanks for all your help...if I discover anything interesting in this process I will share it on this thread!

Chris, I think most of them will be okay...

I don't think I've seen that many 404s with their tails on the ground.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by acreid
    My mistake, I want early 403 springs, since I want to raise the car. Colin Handley thinks he has a couple of sets of 403 springs, so I'll look for the longest pair. I do have other 404 springs, but if mine have sagged I assume the others would be much the same...but that may be a wrong assumption. Thanks for all your help...if I discover anything interesting in this process I will share it on this thread!
    I probably have a set left over from the Redex Spares.
    Graham

Thanks for the offer Graham, but I discovered by torchlight last night that Colin has one set and I have a second set of earlier 403 springs. So will put a set in this weekend and see how I go.

cheers
    Chris

Don't lose any of those early 403 axle tubes, will you?

VIP Sponsor

Don't lose any of those early 403 axle tubes, will you?
    Do you want some Ray?
    Graham

I will if I ever get around to building that world beating Clubman I've designed...

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I have a set of spare 505 wagon rear springs if you really want to beef it up.

I notice that there were actually a couple of different rear spings fitted to RHD 404's too. THe earliest ones, according to my genuine 404 Workshop Manual supplement number 1, had a free height of 391.5 to 402.5mm and a height under load of 251-256mm . The later ones had a free height of 402.5 to 413.5 and a height under load of 256 to 261mm.

Interestingly the height of the heavy duty 505 rears, according to Haynes is also 413mm!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

404 wagon springs would soon have it on the bump stops...

Thread Information