FYI: 505V6 Wagon driveshaft length
  • Register
  • Help

Default FYI: 505V6 Wagon driveshaft length

Hi all, as the torque tube & rear axle were out AGAIN last week I finally remebered to measure the inner & outer lengths that had been used in putting the 505 factory V6 sedan engine & box in my wagon:
    Torque tube 1820mm, driveshaft 1770mm. They had both been lengthened by 60mm. The other mod required was to lengthen the forward running arms on the two piece gearbox rear mount - specific to the 4sp auto from memory. The engine is sitting in the standard 505 V6 sedan position.
    Also interesting is the Peugeot quoted price for that universal joint, NZ$1243!! Dapco has them on the shelf MUCH cheaper but won't sell one to me! The previous one had destroyed itself in the process of leaving a Subaru way way back at the lights....photos bottom of this page: http://www.peugeotcarclub.org.nz/gal...jcmv6diff.html

The beast is finally mobile again, now with a LS diff that is reasonably quiet.
    Jason

Advertisement

So you're giving the forward movement of the gearbox for the V6 60mm?

This would require a different crossmember, wouldn't it?

The main front crossmember? I wouldn't think so, although the whole front end of the V6 sedan is under there. It has a different steering rack, brakes and hubs (orig fitted with ABS). Looks like some photos on hoist are in order, I'll be able to do them first week in December.
    As the engine sits around the same distance from the front of the engine bay as 4-cyl models, I'm presuming the shorter engine block of the V6 means the rest of the drivetrain did have to move forward. It means there's not the big issues with the passenger's side head hitting the firewall/insulation/aircon etc that some conversions have. It does mean a different battery tray tho - mine has been transplated for the V6 sedan, complete with the power steering speed sensitive servovalve mounted underneath it . Steering is fantastic with it.

Ray (or anyone), can you explain why the rear wagon suspension on these cars works so well? It kind of seems strange to have all the longditudinal locating of the rear axle entirely hinging mid way along the car at the gearbox rear. Completey different from the usual leaf springs (falcon etc) or trailing arms (sierra wagon). That torque tube & rear axle is surely heavy - I can get them out single handed now at night on the drive with a leadlight & trolley jack!! (and, some would say with a blindfold - three times in three months!)

You do get a traction advantage... that's because the torque reaction of the final drive is trying to lift up the centre of the car, so lots of weight is transferred onto the wheels.

The drive is obviously pushing the car along via that gearbox mount... and the mass as a whole is keeping road noise out of the body. Noises are apparently absorbed by the great mass of the axle, torque tube and spring mounts.

Thread Information