504 Ti fuel pump setup
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 504 Ti fuel pump setup

Hi all,

I've just pulled the fuel pump out for a reconditioning, and noticed that the pump's pulley and drive pulley seemed not to match up to the timing marks on the belt. The pump is definitely sucking air so that'll have to be fixed anyway, but I'm wondering if the pulleys should be realigned with the timing marks or left as they are and what the best advice on this subject is?

Advertisement

What's the next step from here?

Chris.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel
    Hi all,

I've just pulled the fuel pump out for a reconditioning, and noticed that the pump's pulley and drive pulley seemed not to match up to the timing marks on the belt. The pump is definitely sucking air so that'll have to be fixed anyway, but I'm wondering if the pulleys should be realigned with the timing marks or left as they are and what the best advice on this subject is?

What's the next step from here?

Chris.
    Best to align with the marks but it doesn't make a lot of difference, there are plenty of untimed injection systems around, L Jetronic for example.
    Graham

Do you mean that the timing is out, or that the lumps on the belt simply don't at the moment line up with the notches in the pulleys?

You can have them not line up for many revolutions, then the next time they come around they're in the right place... I'm sure you understand.

Fellow Frogger!

So Ray, seeing as the time you turn the cogs before they match up could be as long as a piece of string (I'm sure you know what I mean...) the method to check for alignment is...? And why isn't Mr/Mrs. Haynes clearer about any sort of method?

VIP Sponsor

So Ray, seeing as the time you turn the cogs before they match up could be as long as a piece of string (I'm sure you know what I mean...) the method to check for alignment is...? And why isn't Mr/Mrs. Haynes clearer about any sort of method?
    The method is detailed in the Haynes manual.
    It involves lining up the bumps in the toothed belt with the notches in the timing gears.
    Take a look on Page 90.
    Graham

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you should have an email arriving very shortly if it isn't already there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Counting teeth should do the job...

By the way, where is the air getting in?

Thread Information