comments on flashlube additive
  • Register
  • Help

Default comments on flashlube additive

hello just pushing the envelope of debate again and was wondering what was rhe general consensus on the flashlube product.
    there is a system where you put a bottle in the engine bay and its fed into the engine.its suposed to help with valve seat and valve wear.ive heard of a few people using it in their pugs and was opening the floor on a general discusion on the product.there is also a petrol tank additive.-BAZZ

Advertisement

Default Flashlube additive

bazgti
    I've been using Flashlube now for 18 months or more in my '79 504 GL auto, initially dosing direct into the tank and later via the dispensing bottle feeding into the manifold with the fittings supplied.
    I decided to take the dispenser route because of the hit-and-miss dosing method and also because of the supply problems with LRP. I'm now using unleaded.
    I'm not claiming any performance gain I was merely after the supposed helpfull properties of this and similar products.One thing I have noticed and that is the condition of the spark plugs. Before any additive the plugs had a blistered appearance. With Flashlube the plug centres are a light brown with a grey coating on the body of the plug. There is also no thinning or burning away appearance of the centre electrode.
    These last few points might suggest that the product is working.
    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    hello just pushing the envelope of debate again and was wondering what was rhe general consensus on the flashlube
    product.
    there is a system where you put a bottle in the engine bay and its fed into the engine.its suposed to help with valve seat and valve wear.ive heard of a few people using it in their pugs and was opening the floor on a general discusion on the product.there is also a petrol tank additive.-BAZZ

thanx mr wildebeast,ive got a 205 gti 1987 and told it will help with vavle wear ect because the premium or optimax does not have the lubricating properties that leaded had,i might give it a go-BAZZ

Your 205 was made for unleaded and is unlikely to have any dramas with valve seat recession, but if it makes you feel good, use the Valvemaster. I use it in my 4CV and old BMW bike. I won't know if it does any good for some years, but it is not very costly given the miles these machines do. (less than 6000 KLM annually each) Even without the additive, I would have expected a few years' troublefree use.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hello,
    We have been using Flashlube for many years on our cars. I have used the "add to tank" method rather than the metered dripper arrangement for a number of reasons.

Firstly, the ability to equally dispense the liquid to each cylinder is not guaranteed, even given a carefully designed induction system. The dispenser of course is vacuum sensitive, as well as being temperature sensitive (liquid viscosity change effects the drip rate).

Secondly, any claimed cleansing benefits to the injectors can really only occur if the Flashlube accompanys the fuel spray into each cylinder. This is not possible by a "dripper" method, although the "dripped" additive does mix with the fuel on the induction stroke to provide the necessary valve protection during combustion.

Thirdly, adding to the tank appears to have solved the problem of 'lift pump' failure on the '86 model (last of the leaded engines) 505 S2 GTI. I had two 'lift pump' stoppages in as many years prior to this, which, of course greatly adds to the work-load of the main pressure pump, especially at low tank quantities. It would seem that the added lubricity of the fuel due to the Flashlube content has extended the pump life.

As a final note, our other 505 ('84 Executive) has covered 404,000 km. I am currently replacing the head gasket due to an oil leak between the cylinder head and block interface (lower back corner). The valves and combustion chambers were a light to medium ash grey colour, whilst the piston crowns had a small accumulation of carbon. The evidence of spark plug appearance has now been borne out with the internal evidence.

Incidentally, in each cylinder, the original bore honemarks are still clearly visible. The engine was burning no oil, and a compression check prior to head removal gave a top of 210 and a bottom of 195. These engines should easily (& in fact do) give 600,000 km ++ without any abnormal wear. I use Penrite HPR 30, which is changed at 10,000 intervals, with the filter.

The Flashlube is kept in both cars in small dispenser bottles, holding enough for a full tank of fuel (70ml).

I am reliably informed that the 505's with the 829 ZD range of engines have sufficient valve seat hardening not to need an additive. However, I prefer to increase the protection levels, just in case.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Thread Information