Mi16 spark plug cables
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Mi16 spark plug cables

Whats a good quality set of HT cables that won't break the bank? (BX16V/Mi16)

Advertisement

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dunham
    Whats a good quality set of HT cables that won't break the bank? (BX16V/Mi16)

Chris.
    im about to change my cables on my 1987 205 gti,they are the original cables that came with the car.
    thats means they are 17 odd years old.not bad,
    im going to get the same ones again because they are copper cored as apossed to silicone cored.also have the spark plug moulded cap stopping dirt from getting in plughole.
    copper leads are more expensive to buy but as in my and most cases last a long time which is more economical in the long run. they are $98 from peugeot spares.
    this is 4 leads and 1 ht lead to coil.
    you can get aftermarket leads from about $29 upwards of the silicone variety.these leads are usually ok but tend to wear quickly.most auto shops have them.
    your mi 16 leads are similar to the 205 ones.-BAZZ

Chris,

You can get the original ones, Bougicord (sp?) which come with the special ends on to fit the recesses of the valley between the cam housings. They are square on the ends.
    I have heard of guys using Magnicore but whilst they may be good, they are dear as poison. One of the members of the BX16V club in the UK was getting them on a "mates rates" deal for around A$150 a set (plus freight and taxes in our case) but I got the Bougicords over for around $50 a set (plus usual taxes, freight and charges) from memory a year or two ago. I have seen the off the shelf silicone and graphite leads used, but in a 16V they tend o be both a bugger to fit as well as having the habit of shorting off all things conductive and make the car run like shit.
    I think you'll find that the motor Bazz is talking about is like the TZi which has seperate holes for each plug lead and with these you can get away with the off the shelf variety.
    When you replace them, also check and mark cylinders 2 & 3 as the leads are identical length and it's easy to mix them up when refitting..............and please don't ask me how I know!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I just picked up a new set of leads for my Mi16 today. Cost was $110. They are made by Top Gun.

The idle now seems slighty less rough....but who really knows.... My old leads were the originals which lasted 140000 kms...

Hope you find some cheap and decent ones.

Maca

Find your local Magnecore dealer. They have the special spark plug boots. If you can't find a dealer in WA, contact Thundercords in Sydney. I had a set made up for $100.

Thundercords
    U 2/ 20 Crescent St Granville 2142
    (02) 9897 3777

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks one and all for the generous replies.

Chris.

another reason I love the 406 - no leads

Off the shelf Top Gun leads and other cheapies have always served me well - just ensure they dont touch each other, keep them clean (the engine bay should always be spotless anyway ) and routed appropriatly.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Top Gun seem to be (oh, the pun of all time...) a bit hit and miss...

My brother runs a workshop on the Gold Coast and reckons that every time a car comes in with an untraceable tuning issue and it's got NEW Top Gun leads, changing the leads will fix it.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Top Gun seem to be (oh, the pun of all time...) a bit hit and miss...

My brother runs a workshop on the Gold Coast and reckons that every time a car comes in with an untraceable tuning issue and it's got NEW Top Gun leads, changing the leads will fix it.

I have been running Top-Gun leads for years without too much trouble

They can't be that bad seeing as i had them on a 604 that used to return very good mileage and all the TI's over the years as well that ran well

Didi they have a bad batch at some time ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

No idea... I'm just passing on the observation of someone who works on a lot of cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Chris,

You can get the original ones, Bougicord (sp?) which come with the special ends on to fit the recesses of the valley between the cam housings. They are square on the ends.
    I have heard of guys using Magnicore but whilst they may be good, they are dear as poison. One of the members of the BX16V club in the UK was getting them on a "mates rates" deal for around A$150 a set (plus freight and taxes in our case) but I got the Bougicords over for around $50 a set (plus usual taxes, freight and charges) from memory a year or two ago. I have seen the off the shelf silicone and graphite leads used, but in a 16V they tend o be both a bugger to fit as well as having the habit of shorting off all things conductive and make the car run like shit.
    I think you'll find that the motor Bazz is talking about is like the TZi which has seperate holes for each plug lead and with these you can get away with the off the shelf variety.
    When you replace them, also check and mark cylinders 2 & 3 as the leads are identical length and it's easy to mix them up when refitting..............and please don't ask me how I know!!

Alan S
    mine are bougicord but i was referncing my 205 gti which i thought would be the same type of leads.rhese leads have a round plug on the ends-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Chris,

Alan S
    mine are bougicord but i was referncing my 205 gti which i thought would be the same type of leads.rhese leads have a round plug on the ends,
    do you have an addy on where you imported your leads from,ta-BAZZ

No sweat mate; the 205 and TZi have round holes at the front edge of the head whilst the 16Vs run in a valley between the cams and have these ginormous square heads on them that are as tight as a fish's to push down.
    I got mine from GSF in the UK.

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

You can get current prices via the online shop without actually buying.

Alan S

Bazz,

FYI. From GSF online shop.

T92610 IGNITION LEAD SET 205 1.9GTi >92; 14.50 U.K Pounds

That gives you a guide as to price. This will of course be plus freight & taxes.

Alan S

Thread Information