604 front calipers (for 504...)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 604 front calipers (for 504...)

Hi, I've just dismantled a pair of 604 front struts and stripped the two calipers for inspection. Unfortunately both pistons have one area each of localised pitting which is a shame as they are otherwise free from scoring. There is a brand stamped on the back of the cylinder housing - looks something like "Ate" or "Atc" - didn't seem to be DBA or Teves as I expected. Does anyone know if 505 or 504 pistons will fit these calipers? The pads are different from my '71 504. What model of 505 first had ventilated rotors - the S1 GTi or did early STi's have them too ?
    Thanks,
    Jason

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Morris
    Hi, I've just dismantled a pair of 604 front struts and stripped the two calipers for inspection. Unfortunately both pistons have one area each of localised pitting which is a shame as they are otherwise free from scoring. There is a brand stamped on the back of the cylinder housing - looks something like "Ate" or "Atc" - didn't seem to be DBA or Teves as I expected. Does anyone know if 505 or 504 pistons will fit these calipers? The pads are different from my '71 504. What model of 505 first had ventilated rotors - the S1 GTi or did early STi's have them too ?
    Thanks,
    Jason

ATE is Teves (Albert Teves)
    Only the V6 and the Turbo had vented rotors.
    Graham

If they are bad, rechroming the pistons might be your next step...

But it's also possible you might find a similar size piston somewhere.

I have not tried this but I have been told that commodore vl turbo, vr ,vs, front calipers will work on a 504 ,505 with 604 ventilated disces if it works it may be a cheaper option
    regards jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    ATE is Teves (Albert Teves)
    Only the V6 and the Turbo had vented rotors.
    Graham
    Isn't it Alfred? Just to be a pedantic git.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Originally posted by 1pugnut
    I have not tried this but I have been told that commodore vl turbo, vr ,vs, front calipers will work on a 504 ,505 with 604 ventilated disces if it works it may be a cheaper option
    Volvo calipers will definitely do the job, bolt straight on...

But you have to either drill between the cylinders (they're a 4-pot) or adapt to suit the dual lines they have.

Holden - Volvo - What?!? But we'd all have to take those nasty things we say back !!! Thanks for the info, I will have a look at some 505Sti pistons first, I never would have guessed Ate was Teves. I'm wondering if I should have done a sweepstake on how many weeks the 505V6 diff would have taken to rebuild. After talking to the national parts guy at Peugeot NZ I'm told shims are no longer available, back to the lathe it is for me! With the 504 just failed its roadworthy inspection, we're down to a pushbike for family of 5 officially...tonight I'm looking at a road legal $0 505 Sti as an interim - just what the boss wants, an extra car!! (but honey, think of all the free parts ?!!)

Thread Information