Not Firing on all 4 when cold!?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon8 Not Firing on all 4 when cold!?

anyone had this before?:

when the car is cold, say below the 1/3 on the temp gauge, not all cylinders are firing. it isn't to rough so i think i may only loose 1, not sure. but by the time it gets to 1/3 or 1/2 (where it stays) on the temp gauge they all fire up and its sweet.

i tried cleaning the spark plugs but that hasn't done much, well anything. originally i thought it might be the distributor with water in it or something, but the sparks are an easy first try.

could it be the distributor, or maybe the injectors, or something else?

cheers

Advertisement
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

plug leads, moisture tracking in hair cracks in distributor or on the outside of the coil, plug leads not firmly fitted to tops of the plugs, as 3 suggestions.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I had a similar problem with the 504.

I gave the inside of the dizzy cap contacts a really good clean then gave them a bit of vaseline. Solved my intermittant 3cycl starting.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by renn_205
    anyone had this before?:

when the car is cold, say below the 1/3 on the temp gauge, not all cylinders are firing. it isn't to rough so i think i may only loose 1, not sure. but by the time it gets to 1/3 or 1/2 (where it stays) on the temp gauge they all fire up and its sweet.

i tried cleaning the spark plugs but that hasn't done much, well anything. originally i thought it might be the distributor with water in it or something, but the sparks are an easy first try.

could it be the distributor, or maybe the injectors, or something else?

cheers
    i just put a new distributor cap and rotor on my 205 yesterday and it has made a noticable difference to the running.its now alot smoother in idle.before it was coughing and missing slightly on backpressure and acceleration,this has solved the problem.
    price-peugeot want $98 for cap and rotor set.
    european auto imports melb.-cap-$31,rotor button-$18.
    cap-valeao rotor button-ci.
    check inside cap for black lines or cracks,its not expensive to replace if it is stuffed.
    -BAZZ

thanx boys and g... thats it really isn't it.

there aren't enough chicks on this website, well i don't think we want to bring in a french fashion forum do we?

i'll have a look at the cap and stuff and see how we go. thanx Baz for the prices, much appreciated.

out of interest, can this no firing cause many problems?
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

how long is a bit of string?.
    what i mean is first figure out what the problem is before you try to figure out what damage is occuring.
    what do you mean when you say you think the car is running on three cylinders?.
    when my car runs on three cylinders it sounds like a tractor.
    it may not be loosing a cylinder as much as maybe a dodgy lead or cap.someone please correct me if im wrong but as i said when mine ran on 3 it sounded like a tractor.is this correct?
    a cap,rotor and new leads is a good place to start-BAZZ

thanks again

i just cleaned the cap and rotor (best i could bit hard to see, the rotor that is, bad torch). i cleaned the contacts then sealed it up with Vaseline as Shobz suggested.

my girlfriend has has been out and about in the car today so it had a pretty good run. so might have to see if it how it goes when the engine is cold again.

i think its three, and yes it does sound like a tractor, but a good one! cause i've heard it ages ago, on what i thought was one cylinder, NOW that was a tractor! but then it really went down to 1 Cylinder! that sounded like a poor little fishing boat 'put-puting' around!

if this doesn't do much, and i'm not holding my breath, then a new rotor, cap as you suggested might be the go.

we shall see
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

A good trick to find a short if it's external (ie) leads or external short on ignition coil, is to start the engine at night in total darkness with the bonnet raised.
    I had a CX years ago that carried on occasionally until one night it threw a funny out on a dark country road.
    Lifting the bonnet & revving the engine and the fault lit up like a fireworks display.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renn_205
    out of interest, can this no firing cause many problems?
    Not really, unless your car has a catalytic convertor, which can overheat from unburned fuel going into it. Otherwise, it shouldn't cause any damage (unless you leave it for a fair while ).

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    A good trick to find a short if it's external (ie) leads or external short on ignition coil, is to start the engine at night in total darkness with the bonnet raised.
    I had a CX years ago that carried on occasionally until one night it threw a funny out on a dark country road.
    Lifting the bonnet & revving the engine and the fault lit up like a fireworks display.

Alan S
    thanx

i'll give it ago... standing back... a fair way back! need to give it good clean i think, but a boot up the backside will probably do better!
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Thread Information