Wheel alignment for a 505GTI
  • Register
  • Help

Default Wheel alignment for a 505GTI

I am about to replace the 195/65/R15 MXV 8s on the GTI after 70,000km, (a good run).
    However, I have had to do four tyre on rim rotations to even out the wear, (thats, all four rims four times + additional front to rear rotations).
    I have been advised that there is little I can do to stop the tyres scrubbung out on the inside run, especially the fronts.
    The GTI is very well mannered on the road at all speeds and as such I will need to be convinced to change the settings.
    Will compromise handling for tyre wear or is there a happy medium.
    Your thoughts on settings, welcome.

Advertisement
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

If the cars front suspension has been lowered, or has sagged a bit, then it will have more negative camber than standard, so you will need more toe in than standard, I would think 3mm would be a minimum, up to 4 or 5mm. If you are getting front end alignments done at a garage or tyre service they will only be setting it to book specifications. Easy enough to do at home.

Regards Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Stock GTI front end with fresh shocks.
    The ride is firm and not harsh, no bottoming out, no bangs/clunks, all new bushes, slight wear on the lower ball joints, (still within spec), which are to be replaced before new tyres.
    No body roll.
    It is like you are on rails.
    In short it is very well behaved, in very good condition and looked after.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Sounds to me like the front springs have sagged a bit, which is to be expected after nearly 20 years, also the tower that the strut mounts in may have sagged in a bit, (quite common in commodores, not so much in Pugs) so you will have an increase in negative camber. I would definitely try a bit more toe in.
    Regards Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Fellow Frogger!

Hi there,

Just checking your tyre sizes. I understood that the correct tyre size for the 505 GTI is 195/60/R15.

Certainly this is the correct size specified for my S2 505 GTI. On the other hand, my wife's 84 model 505 Executive has 195/65/R15, which, of course, is the same as the STI models.

Maybe you meant 195/60/R15?? This profile blends in with the lower ride height and firmer suspension of the GTI compared with the STI versions.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Mine has 205/65/15 on it, still looks like about 10-15mm strut clearance. Mine is also very worn on the inside fronts, would be good to find a fix for this. Maybe just the nature of the beast?
    White 505Gti just about fitted with XN & 5 Speed.

"We have enslaved the rest of animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form."
    William Ralph Inge

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

I guess I should have mentioned that STI versions of course were specified / fitted with 190/65 TR390 tyres (metric).

When I acquired imperial size rims (GTI) for the STI Executive some years ago, the profile height remained the same at 65mm, but the most common tyre width on conversion was 195. I have seen some GTI's with 205 tyres fitted, but in each case they were very close to rubbing on the strut casing.

Recommended tyre pressures for the imperial tyres are too low for long life and good handling (26F & 30R). The more supple ride is the only benefit. I have run 32F & 34R (with 34F on long trips - common in the country) with the benefit of very crisp handling, excellent tyre life (65000+km) and minor excess wear on the inner tread on the front tyres. The ride is a little firmer, but not in any way a discomfort. The (GTI) has only done 162,000, whereas the Executive has over 400,000.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you should find that a taller profile will actually wear the inside of the tyres less but you need to maintain a good pressure in them

i used to run 215/65/14 on a 504 running 36psi all round

never once did the tyres wear the inside edge nor did the car behave in a bad way

i used to run around 2mm toe in from memory and 3deg neg camber
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I stand corrected, it is a 60 profile and not 65.

There does not seem to be any sag in the front end???

Does any one out there have specs for camber and castor.

It is not difficult to tell the difference between a ray of sunshine and a Scottsman with a grievence
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Thread Information