Exhaust question
  • Register
  • Help

Default Exhaust question

I think my 306's rear muffler is starting to need replacement. I know a sport type exhaust isnt going to give any real benefit perfomance wise. But could I just replace the rear box with a more open one just to give it a nice sound. I figure an aftermarket muffler compared to a genuine Pug one will be cheaper anyway. Any recommendations? Kind of prices I should expect? The current sound is akin to a BMW 318...kind of a tinny rasp

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    I think my 306's rear muffler is starting to need replacement. I know a sport type exhaust isnt going to give any real benefit perfomance wise. But could I just replace the rear box with a more open one just to give it a nice sound. I figure an aftermarket muffler compared to a genuine Pug one will be cheaper anyway. Any recommendations? Kind of prices I should expect? The current sound is akin to a BMW 318...kind of a tinny rasp
    Those cheap chinese rip-off muflers might do what you want. I would also call around to pug work shops for a gti-6/xsi muffler secondhand....
    A Remus is always nice but are ussually priced more than OEM. - Chris
    ... ptui!

id go with what chris said & get one of them 3A racing mufflers, probs a nice twin tip DTM stylezzz...(mad dawg)
    you can get em for about $250 i think, or check ebay theres always a bargain muffler on there, heck thats the only reason i got my remus.

just dont put one of the rice burnah milo tin zhorst they look ghey on a pug, something nice subtle & not too noisy.

When my original rear muffler developed a small crack (about an inch long) on the front face, I replaced it with some aftermarket straight thru type (because the peugeot replacement muffler cost was daylight robbery). The ensuing noise was ridiculous. I think I lasted a couple of days before I got the exhaust shop to put my cracked one back on and tacked a weld across the crack as a temp fix until I could afford the oem replacement which will probably only be after I sell one of my bodyparts....
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

I hadnt thought of a second hand gti6/xsi muffler...should be the right mix of sound/looks. Does the tip shape have anything to do with sound? I would think something thick walled would be better? Dont worry though, i aint going to put weld a milo tin to the back.....I dont want EVERYONE to know I'm a tool, only my close friends
    How bout something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hadnt thought of a second hand gti6/xsi muffler...should be the right mix of sound/looks. Does the tip shape have anything to do with sound? I would think something thick walled would be better? Dont worry though, i aint going to put weld a milo tin to the back.....I dont want EVERYONE to know I'm a tool, only my close friends
    How bout something like this:
    I just remebered, years back, to save money I had my local Carline Mufflers put a 6-cylinder Lukey muffler on my old Nissan pulsar, and it turned out to be awesome! There was no performance gain, but it lasted a long time (4yrs) and was quiet at idle and low down, but from mid to high it would develop a cracking rasp, similar to a 250 motorbike; so when putting around town and doing long highway drives it was easy on the ears, but when the tough got going it ripped a wicked sound! - Chris

ps the thing was cheap as chips too.
    ... ptui!

hmm, thats a thought...."get the Lukey growl" isnt that their tagline? I'll check em out. Thats the sort of idea, something quiet until the top end

i got an aftermaket setup from midas in balwyn .the guy did an amazing job,it took hin 3 hours longer than expected but my mehanic commented on the nice work.i went for a stainless [walker[ for rear and aluminium middle[walker[ stainless pipes 2.25 for $500 all up.
    i didnt have alot of doe at the time so i went for standard,i just put a high flow cat on it and that has made a big difference to the sound,alot deeper but not louder which i like,-BAZZ

1000+ Posts

The trick is not to go too big in diameter. Those Lancers that sound like a fart, with 4" cans out the back are really crap!

My Mi has a custom cat back exhaust that sounds awesome (too awesome - it attracts nobends) but the tail pipe is unobtrusive, just sticking downwards from under the rear valance, and is only 2". It comes out of a 12" x 4" cylindrical straight through resonator. Sounds like a quiet version of a WRC car.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

hey i have this muffler that sits behind the rear bumper, do i need to get a new bumper if i'm going to do anything to it or can i just cut a hole on the existing one?

Ants

you can get the bumper modified to fit which ever type of exhaust you wish to install.

Can anyone tell me expect Remus what other brand and model i can go for??
    Jacky
    1995 Peugeot 306 XT 1.8 MT

Performance:
    JAMEX Lower Springs, Griffiths Eng. Quick Shift, K&N Element Replacement Filter, 2 1/4" Catback Custom Make Exhaust with 2 X 3" DTM Style Twin Pipes Outlet, BF g-force 185/65/14

Sound System:
    Sony CDX-F5700, Hertz 4" Split, JBL 6" 2 Way, Alpine MPR-M200, SoundStream EGW-10 10" Sub

Outlook:
    BOSCH Silver Evolution bulbs, Aero Wipers, Momo SliverJet, RAZO Gear Knob, RAZO Carbon Paddle, Sparco Pro 2000

Fellow Frogger!

alright... to demonstrate an exhaust that sounds absolutely Phat!! but not something you want to hear every day in your commute to work is...

Peugeot 306 Rallye with a de-cat and GroupN exhaust system [6.5MB]

courtesy of www.306gti6.com

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    alright... to demonstrate an exhaust that sounds absolutely Phat!! but not something you want to hear every day in your commute to work is...

Peugeot 306 Rallye with a de-cat and GroupN exhaust system [6.5MB]

courtesy of www.306gti6.com
    Ok, that sounds freakin AWSOME, if only no cat was legal. you really dont need a stereo with an exhaust like that, mind you, burbiling along in peak hour traffic might be a bit tiring. That car semmed to go pretty hard aswell, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Those cheap chinese rip-off muflers might do what you want. I would also call around to pug work shops for a gti-6/xsi muffler secondhand....
    A Remus is always nice but are ussually priced more than OEM. - Chris
    Sorry but had to have my
    I used to work at Autobarn and personally I think those cheap 3a racing mufflers are so crap. If you want your pug to sound like a toyota corolla then maybe it's what your looking for but if you want it to have a nice note then perhaps look towards a magnaflow universal muffler, not straight through muffler and maybe 2 1/4inch and then just choose your own tip. I only paid $300 fitted for mine and it gave my Mi a really nice note, not just some stupid loud noise that an Autobarn muffler will give you, SICK MATE!!
    I have since parted with my magnaflow and bought a devil exhaust but if your not looking at spending too much I definatly reccomend magnaflow.
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

Quote Originally Posted by jchan
    Can anyone tell me expect Remus what other brand and model i can go for??
    Devil make really good mufflers (up in the same class as remus) About the same price too, real raspy and tuff note when you plant it and not too loud when just putting along.
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

Finally I have got my exhaust done today!!

I have put a cat back system which is 2 1/4" pipe work with 12" hot dog and 14" long straight through twin outlet OEM muffler (Which is very good quality, All joints are hand well)

After all this it goes a bit too loud....... I think I may really need a longer hotdog!!

It sound like a N1 (Really too loud for me!!
    Jacky
    1995 Peugeot 306 XT 1.8 MT

Performance:
    JAMEX Lower Springs, Griffiths Eng. Quick Shift, K&N Element Replacement Filter, 2 1/4" Catback Custom Make Exhaust with 2 X 3" DTM Style Twin Pipes Outlet, BF g-force 185/65/14

Sound System:
    Sony CDX-F5700, Hertz 4" Split, JBL 6" 2 Way, Alpine MPR-M200, SoundStream EGW-10 10" Sub

Outlook:
    BOSCH Silver Evolution bulbs, Aero Wipers, Momo SliverJet, RAZO Gear Knob, RAZO Carbon Paddle, Sparco Pro 2000

Quote Originally Posted by danemi16
    Sorry but had to have my
    I used to work at Autobarn and personally I think those cheap 3a racing mufflers are so crap. If you want your pug to sound like a toyota corolla then maybe it's what your looking for but if you want it to have a nice note then perhaps look towards a magnaflow universal muffler, not straight through muffler and maybe 2 1/4inch and then just choose your own tip. I only paid $300 fitted for mine and it gave my Mi a really nice note, not just some stupid loud noise that an Autobarn muffler will give you, SICK MATE!!
    I have since parted with my magnaflow and bought a devil exhaust but if your not looking at spending too much I definatly reccomend magnaflow.
    ...mmm had you read my second pots I have already noted this. The reason I mentioned those cheap muffler was based on cost. To be fair not everything in autobarn is "sick mate", and then on top of that i hate this stereotype. Its been killed, we don't like the ol' french crap stereotype; perhaps we should stop the sick mate taunts, fact is; that is a very strong and profitable sector of the market. Any way there's my 2c - Chris.
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    ...mmm had you read my second pots I have already noted this. The reason I mentioned those cheap muffler was based on cost. To be fair not everything in autobarn is "sick mate", and then on top of that i hate this stereotype. Its been killed, we don't like the ol' french crap stereotype; perhaps we should stop the sick mate taunts, fact is; that is a very strong and profitable sector of the market. Any way there's my 2c - Chris.
    I agree with you, the only thing that I refered to was the mufflers that Autobarn stock. I was working with them for over three years and have bought many products for my pug through them, the point I was making (in regards to autobarn) was that the only mufflers they stock are 3" inlet straight through muffler with 3 1/2" tip with poor welds and baffles which commonly come loose, that everyone gets sucked into buying because they think they are well priced when in fact you can get a muffler with a lifetime warranty and of good quality for only $50 or so dollars more including installation.
    As for "ol' french crap" I don't remember ever refering to any pug as be crap, as for "Sick mate" that was reffering to something along the line of a stock Hyundai excel with a huge 'Autobarn' muffler which you can hear from a mile away with someone behind the steeringwheel looking down at you like your the loser.
    Not having a go at you mate, just wanted to make sure the point I was trying to get across comes out clearly.
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

No offence taken, just that i did note something similar in my second post... so its like getting half way through a book and then writting a notice on it.
    BTW my local autobarn sells Lukey and Magnaflow's for less than my local Carline... nothing for pugs though, hence i suggested one he try any of these cheap muffs (no pun intended) instead of paying for OEM, which is pretty pricy.
    Bet it helped working in a autostore when the Mi needed parts? Cheers - Chris
    ... ptui!

Bet it helped working in a autostore when the Mi needed parts? Cheers - Chris[/QUOTE]

Sure Did!
    1993 Series 1 405 Mi16

Already have:
    Lots of servicing
    Devil exhaust
    Soon to have:
    206GTI 16's
    Lowered
    Slotted front rotors
    New tires
    and some more servicing!

Thread Information