505 Turbo - how wide can I go?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 Turbo wheels - how wide can I go?

Alrighty then - found some Racing Dynamic 17x8.5" wheels for a BMW 5-series.

I've heard that redrilling the stock hubs to the 5x120 pattern is possible and very easy to do. The max width I could go is 7" so that proper backspacing (Strut to wheel clearance) is maintained - so I'd have to use spacers (H&R ~25mm) on the front for these to fit.

I'm more than willing to tweak fenders and/or install mild fender flares - but I'm curious if it will destroy the handling of the car.

I know I'm messing up the geometry and the contact patch won't rotate about the center (about 2" offset from center) - but I have no idea what this will translate to in terms of handling. As a bonus - the front track will increase an estimated 7" from stock - the rear will increase by about 2.5".

Advertisement

I'm hoping the rears will fit under the quarter panel with some mild tweaking/fender rolling - and the fronts will likely need some modest flares - hopefully I can just get a way with using exisitng steel.

Does anybody have any experience in running wide wheels on a 505 Peugeot?
    Last edited by bean; 3rd November 2004 at 05:17 PM.

Default 505 17 x 7.5's

Do a search for Peugeot Indonesia in google and try and find the site dedicated to 50 series pugs. Most of the cars featured have (at least) 15in wheels, a few with 17's and 18's. The contacts may be able to offer advice.

Default Great minds think alike....

Hi there,

That's exactly how I found out the BMW 5 series wheels worked. Tried a number of web masters and e-mailed members directly until we had one (Ade) join the NA list. I e-mailed him and found out it was a 5x120 pattern redrilled into the Pug hubs.

He said you can't run wider that 7" before an issue with rubbing the strut. The BMW wheel usually comes with a 20mm offset - and from what he told me - that makes the backspacing almost identical to the Peugeot 15" wheel.

I'm now extrapolating that info to fit an 8.5" wheel...

It's a seriously wide wheel - and will either need flares, or at the very least some modest "bulging" of the sheet metal...

This car would be quite nice with some 245 - 45 17's tucked up under the fenders. I'm thinking some Falken Azenis would be a nice match...

I take it nobody has done this down there though...

Guess I'll have to be the first to confirm it...

Default Wheels

Haven't seen an Aussie 505 with any bigger than 15 x 6's (nearly all Superlites). It's a major modification due to changing stud patterns. As soon as you change this an engineer has to approve it, hence the term 'major' .(don't know about in Canada but they do in Oz) and you can only go 2in over standard or Police tend to frown on you quite readily. I know several people who have been defected because of this (not in Pugs, mind you). I'd love to see my 505 with a set of Oz Racing Supertourismo 17 x 7's though. Let me know how you go, maybe post some pics when it's all done....

id be very interested to know how you go as i to have been trying to get info on fitting larger aftermarket wheels to my 505 gti.

there is a place in great briton called tramont who manufacture wheels for the 505 stud pattern

Default 505 wheels

Check out the 505 at the very bottom of the 'Show room' link! I have a new dream car! What do you think those wheels would cost landed in Oz?

Default Nice wheels!

I like those wheels as well - they're actually similar to the 5 spoke RD wheels I'm getting, but they aren't two piece - just a single casting.

They should look quite nice on my white 505 Turbo - after I have they resprayed white as well. (I may do a nice blue depending on how I get the car painted in the future...)

The reason I'm going the BMW route is that it is so easy to get wheels for the car in basically any design - even stock BBS BMW wheels can be had fairly cheap and they are AWESOME wheels. Initially I wanted to find a nice set of BMW #42 style wheels - they've been on E-bay for about $1000 USD with tires. These RD wheels came up though and I can't pass them up - they are a nice wheel and they should look awesome.

I'll probably need to get different spacers though when I use different widths though... Expensive but re-usable.

Later on - fitting some OZ racing wheels would be a very nice option to have!

You mean Tony Simmoney's creations?

http://www.simmonswheel.com.au

Tadpole

Default redrilling the stud pattern

Hi i also have a plan to change my 307 stud pattern. I'm getting wheels with 5x112 stud pattern. Do you know where the place that able to redrill my stock hubs? Thanks..anyway have you done it? Any problem with that?

You can't... see my post on the thread you started...

Default Stud pattern

Why would you want to change the 307 stud pattern? Buy a copy of Performance GTi or REVS and look at the enormous range of aftermarket wheels you can readily obtain via Mail Order which will fit your car without any modification. Or buy OZ wheels from Tempe tyres. Problem solved.

Thread Information