what say you...manifold swap...
  • Register
  • Help

Default what say you...manifold swap...

...OK guys and gals......I d really like to dump the variable inlet manifold on the s16 for the earlier alloy mi16 or bx16v unit......I m sure there is nothing wrong with the variable unit.....but think of it as an experiment.....(i m thinking of mating a bigger throtle to it and don t want to go hacking into the plastic s16 manifold which I can always put back on)......

Now what issues should i be aware of??? are the bx and mi heads identical through series and are there any differences in port spacings (I m not aware of any but better be sure).....Is one manifold better than the other....ie citroen versus pug (i tend to "like" citroen engeneering more so...but if exhaust manifold are to go by I m sure pug inlets must be well designed as well....

Shoot away......any advice welcome.....

One of the reasons I m experimenting here is to tidy up engine bay (aesthetically and reliability wise possibly) and possibly chase up better inlet supply in preperation for the upspec cam......

Also......if anybodys got any 16v inlet manifolds lying around.....I d be very interested.....

cheers

Advertisement

dino

Ahhh...before I forget.... what are the positives/negatives in regards to my inlet manifold swap idea....I m chasing a little bit more bottom/mid range torque.....

Fellow Frogger!

Dino,
    I know didly squat about these engines but most variable length inlet systems are designed to provide maximum torque as well as top end breathing and it may counter productive to go to a fixed length system.

I'm looking at inlet manifolds myself for a BX16v and it looks as though the Gti6 manifold would be a worthwhile improvement over my existing one - don't know if it would bolt up though?

Chris.

Fellow Frogger!

Id be going the gti6 manifold, depending on price and availability.

Im sure Peter T has some expereince in this area and will be able to tell you the pros and cons

Dino
    I know of 2 S16's with GTi-6 inlet manifolds. They take a little work to get on but are a small improvement (mainly mid-top) over the S16 one. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Icon14

Guys,

How about using Peugeot 406 16V (XU10J4R) manifold? Are they identical to the Gti-6 inlet manifold? What kind of modification are to be done to when fitting these manifolds? Any difference in vaccum connections?

Appreciate some feedback regarding this matter

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Icon14

Guys,

How about using Peugeot 406 16V (XU10J4R) manifold? Are they identical to the Gti-6 inlet manifold? What kind of modifications are to be done when fitting these manifolds? Any difference in vaccum connections?

Appreciate some feedback regarding this matter

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

The XU9J4 manifold is not a straight swap on to the XU10J4 S16 head. The dowell locating pin holes are slightly different, but it definitely can be done.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Dear PeterT,

How about the XU10J4R inlet manifold? Can it be fitted the XU10J4 S16 head?
    The problem here in Malaysia we never had the 306 Gti-6 or S16 ...and even the old XU9J4 were rare to come by ....for the XU10J4R we have plenty running around...

so just wondering whether i can swap the manifold but reuse my ZX 16V throttle body...

any experience with these manifolds peter?

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by senthil16V
    Dear PeterT,

The problem here in Malaysia we never had the 306 Gti-6 or S16 ...and even the old XU9J4 were rare to come by ....for the XU10J4R we have plenty running around...

so just wondering whether i can swap the manifold but reuse my ZX 16V throttle body...

isnt the xu10j4r the engine in the gti6
    Last edited by immy s16; 5th November 2004 at 05:11 PM.

GTi6 has XU10J4RS which has a different manifold to the XU10J4R.

Troy.

Dear PeterT,

Any ideas on this matter guys? Maybe PeterT can point us in the right direction...

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Any ideas on this matter guys? Maybe PeterT can point us in the right direction...

I'm really not sure bewteen those models. If you were a betting man though, you'd have to say the inlet manifolds would be interchangeable.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I'm really not sure bewteen those models. If you were a betting man though, you'd have to say the inlet manifolds would be interchangeable.
    Thanks for the info Pete...will experiment with the manifold and let you guys know whether its compatiable...from the picture between the XU10J4R and XU10J4RS they seem like identical...maybe the only difference will be a different throttle body...

anyhow, all this confusion can be sorted out once i've experimented...will keep you guys posted...
    With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Thread Information