fuel smell 205 gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default fuel smell 205 gti

i posted this ? a while ago and got no answer so here goes again.
    my 205 stinks of fuel when i fill it right up,ive checked fuel lines and they are all ok.ive read in the haines of a charcoal canister that is supposed to take fumes away from fuel system.
    i cant find said canister and its not where they say in manual.
    can anyone shed light on .
    1-is there a charcoal canister at all
    2 -where it is
    3-how much to replace!
    haines probably shows uk euro model.
    there is something which looks similar behind fog lamp passenger side,it has a hose going in and one coming out just like the one in the foto but im not sure if this is it.
    peugeot perts say they have never heard of one in a 205 gti.whats goin on here?-BAZZ

Advertisement

Have you tried checking the seal around the fuel level sender under the rear seats?

-- DJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Studd
    Have you tried checking the seal around the fuel level sender under the rear seats?

-- DJ
    someone else said to try that but i cant seem to find it under the back seats!!!????
    where exactly is it under the back seat.i have 1987 205 ,is it different on later models?-BAZZ

Fellow Frogger!

Under the drivers side rear seat lift up the bottom of the seat and underneath will be a big round black thing, carefully pry out trying not to damage the edges and have a look...
    05' Megane 225 Cup

I'll take a photo tonight if you want.

-- DJ

Quote Originally Posted by pugsy
    Under the drivers side rear seat lift up the bottom of the seat and underneath will be a big round black thing, carefully pry out trying not to damage the edges and have a look...

aahhhh!!!,thank you ,thank you, thank you,i wasnt looking hard enough,i just went out and lifted the seat and also most importantly PULLED THE CARPET OUT THE WAY.and whalla the round rubber seal on top of the sender unit was just sitting there not pushed down properly.
    its now on properly so ill go and fill up and see what happens.
    once again guys thank you,i hate fuel smells and not only that i couldnt fill the tank right up and im trying to do a personal fuel brand trial at the moment,so filling right up will help,
    not only that i hate running the tank on the lowest part,ta-BAZZ

1000+ Posts

BAZ, my 205 did the same when filled right up too, it is something to do with the fuel lines/filling line and the tank, I will ask the mechainc who fixed it, when I see him Monday evening.

Matt

thanks matt,no need mate,problem solved by pushing rubber seal on top of sender unit down properly and the smell has gone,thanks anyway-BAZZ

baz, might still be worth checking out why there was a smell, not only why you were smelling it. Does the sender seal leak, or are any other points in the system worth inspection?

edgedweller

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    baz, might still be worth checking out why there was a smell, not only why you were smelling it. Does the sender seal leak, or are any other points in the system worth inspection?

edgedweller
    yes you have a good point ,next time its up on the hoist ill see whats up.-BAZZ

I used to have the same problem (fuel smells) on my 205.
    The filler pipe runs inside the RH rear wheel arch down to the tank. It has a "filling breather line" connected near the top as a moulding, with a connection to a rubber hose lower down - this may leak (but mine didn't).
    There is also a hose that comes from the top of the fuel tank, through the sill for 150mm, up next to the filler pipe to a small "separator", peaking at the same height as the filler cap and then folds back down again, following the filler pipe down and heading off to the charcoal canister (front left of car). This hose has 2 push-on joiners part way up where it runs next to the filler pipe. These were weeping on my car. I dug these out from under the dirt, cleaned the whole wheel arch THOROUGHLY (don't want dirt falling in the lines), cut some cable ties to get some slack and pulled the joints apart. I cleaned them with solvent and re-assembled them with some sealant (Loctite flexible Master Gasket I think). New cable ties. Fixed.

Rick Dathan,
    1993 205GTI,
    Victoria

Thanks For The Info,ill Check It Out-bazz

Thread Information