Fuego gearbox extension
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fuego gearbox extension

Anybody out there with Fuego gearbox experience ? I need to replace the speedo drive. Is it possible to remove the gearbox 'extension' from the box while it's still in the car. If so, anything to look out for. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Scrumhead

Yes you can remove the end of the gearbox, only thing that I would caution is (apart from draining of oil before ) is that you need to get the gear gate in proper alignment with the lever or the gears will jam on reasssembly. On the one time I had to remove one of mine, Mistarenno was kind enough to talk me through this exercise.

I take it that your speedo worm drive has stripped? I you have a spare gearbox, practice taking that ones back off outside the car and putting it back on and operating the gearshift levers - Also its probably easier to replace the housing and the worm drive in a straight swap if you have a spare.

I take it that you have a Haynes Manual for your car, this can help.

More information on why etc.

Ken

1000+ Posts

This post would probably be better off in the Renault section - more likely to get a response there.

I take it that you have a stripped worm gear on the speedo take off ? and that is why you want to take the back off the gearbox?

Apart from the obvious, that you need to drain the oil before removing the b ack portion of the gearbox, yes it can be done in the car. Just be aware that this section houses the gear change rods and gate. It is possible to get these out of sync and after you put it back together the gate and lever jam - no gear change!!

Fortunately when this happenned to me the first time I took this off, Mistarenno came to my rescue and talked me through the location of the selector rods and how to guide the lever in so the damn thing would work

If you have access to a spare gearbox out of a car you could practice on that one and even swap the ends over rather than try to remove the wrecked speedo worm drive.

Do you have a Haynes manual? that would help. Also when you change over the end make sure that you put a set of new nylon washers and parts in the gear change linkage as it is remarkable how this helps improve your gear change - Ken at Caravelle has sets of these nylon bushes and the large rubber bush as the rear of the gear change lever.

Watch the taper oil drain plug as these are easy to round off and this makes them a real bitch to remove - often mechanics weld a nut to the wrecked square as a better alternative.

More information as to why you need to remove the speedo drive may be helpful.

Ken

Thread Information