Anoying fuel smell: 505
  • Register
  • Help

Default Anoying fuel smell: 505

fuel smell coming from the back of the cabin in my 505 wagon is beggining to pi** me off.

ive dropped the tank, refitted all hoses, clamped them, ive re-run the breather hose to outside the car (i was shocked to see that peugeot had the breather hose running up into the rear panels, maybe im wrong but long, close inspection has proved this to be the case)..............it still wont go away........

Advertisement

has anyone had this problem, what was the cause??????? im thinking maybe cracked/broken seal on filler tube, but it is enclosed in a rubber shroud on the wagon which isolates it outside, so i cant see it being that.

What are those two big hoses that go into the rear of the tank? they seem pointless to me.......

Quote Originally Posted by 1971504sedan
    fuel smell coming from the back of the cabin in my 505 wagon is beggining to pi** me off.

ive dropped the tank, refitted all hoses, clamped them, ive re-run the breather hose to outside the car (i was shocked to see that peugeot had the breather hose running up into the rear panels, maybe im wrong but long, close inspection has proved this to be the case)..............it still wont go away........

has anyone had this problem, what was the cause??????? im thinking maybe cracked/broken seal on filler tube, but it is enclosed in a rubber shroud on the wagon which isolates it outside, so i cant see it being that.

What are those two big hoses that go into the rear of the tank? they seem pointless to me.......
    If i try to filll my tank up too much i get a strong fuel smell thorughout the car?

Could this be the case? Does it go away about a day after you fill up, and the level drops a bit?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

There's a breather hose that runs the length of the car, through the upper part of the body, to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment.

Is that the one you chopped?

yeah i lopped that one off, i didnt relise it went to the engine bay.....i ran a new bit going up above the level of the fuel cap, and then down through a hole and down the outside of the tank, fully outside the car.

heres something else unussual, that breather line, had a tee piece in it, and a short (100mm) length of hose with a bit of broken plastic pipe in the end of it, and that was just dangleing in the little space there, free to the air, i dunno if that was an after thought by someone or if its broken off somewhere....are there two lines goign to the engine bay???

and yes, it happens when i fill the tank, now, although, before i put the breather outside it happend all the time.

Default Ah Ha

i re-read your post ray, and.........

perhaps the plastic line from the engine bay is pumping fumes into the car from the engine bay.......................................i did chop that line and i just left it hanging there, but it was open to the air before i even got to it because of that 'T' piece........... perhaps that was the problem before.

ill try another hose switch-a-roo

I used to have this smell too... maybe I still have, it was most noticeable in the passenger's seat when I have the car configured the way I do... right rear window down half way, left front the same, driver's window right up, vent to driver's face open.

But I don't have passengers these days, so I wouldn't know.

At least you don't have a split fuel tank like I just found the other week...

Icon7

There's a bit of plastic tubing that runs from the afore mentioned canister up throught the a pillar on the passenger's side, inside the roof, and down through the c pillar to a container in the boot above the fuel filler neck that could be the problem. This could be pinched, blocked or broken somewhere along it's length.

This will cause petrol fumes to enter the cabin. Even if you fix the problem, expect to smell fumes for a good few weeks yet. I can't think of any other way the fumes would enter the car. I had this problem on my '77 504

Leccy tape a good length of new tubing (of the same diameter as the old) to the existing one in the engine bay and gently pull it through to the boot. Pull too hard and you are stuffed as it will break requiring removal of the roof fabric. Massage it gently, like a woman you want to make sweeeet love to.

Chef.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

hmmm, tried conecting it up to the plastic hose, only made the smell worse......................................

the sedans have those little boxes in the boot, i cant find it in the wagon, where is it hiding from me does anyone know??? this could be the problem...

the smell goes away with the windows up, but it sucks coz the a/c is stuffed so windows down is the go........., and besides, the smell means leak which i wanna fix anyways.....

hey does anyone know if there is a return line from the fuel pump or carby on these 505s???????? if there is ment to be then thats my prob coz theres no extra hose at the back of the car......:S

frustrating...lol lol...looking like a buggered tank aye, bad news thats the last thing i havent replaced anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    There's a breather hose that runs the length of the car, through the upper part of the body, to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment.

Is that the one you chopped?
    my 205 gti has the same problem if i fill the tank right up,it doesnt do it so much if i fill it 2/3. .the haines said to renew the charcoalcanister and even has a picture of it in the manual .must be similar to the one in the 504,but for want of trying i cant find it and peugeot mechanics say there isnt one in the car.the pic must be of euro model.does anyone know if there is one or not.
    -BAZZ

hmmmmm it seems to be the same as others have said with their cars...theres no smell once the tank gets down lower then full.............but still it shouldnt be like that grrr......lol.........perhaps the tank has a crack and as fuel sloshes around it lets off a sorta "fart" every now and then as it builds up pressure.

next step is to completely seal off the back compartment thingo with a piece of 1ply and some silicone, so the cabin is sealed off from fuel hoses etc.

Renew the charcoal canister, Baz...

That's something I never did... maybe that's the answer. I never knew they needed renewing!

Thread Information