Whats your poison[FUEL]
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Whats your poison[FUEL]

ive had alot of conversations latly about the type of fuel you use in your car ,i mean do you have a fuel company that you prefer to use ie shell over bp for instance ,not premium over standard.some people say that bp is the best while others swear you get more mileage from shell[both premium].
    i supose it comes down to personal preferance but i thought id like to see what other people use and more importantly why they use it,ie more milage ,better performance,smoother running.
    it would be good to state the vehicle you are running and wheather its city or country driving that you mostly do.i know that price is important too so put that down also as it does make a difference.
    will be interesting to see what the general opinion is ,and if you disagree with something put down, why.
    i heard that safeway petrol is crappy but ive never used it to be honest im just interested to see whats going on with your petrol choices-BAZZ

Advertisement

........a poll would be interesting...

cheers

dino

ultimate voter here....for my leaded car 2 + addetive when i remeber 2 add it

I usually run my warm Bx on optimax. I am going to try BP on my car and the gf's 306 (which is pinging a bit on optimax) this week. I'll let you know if there is any difference.

Dave

Having travelled to the snowfields from Adelaide several times this year, a comment on fuel. In my C180 Merc - 2002 model,(10/1 compression) filled up with Caltex PULP also known as Vortex and got 6.8 Litres/100. Filled up in Victoria with Shell Optimax - not available in Adelaide and was my favorite fuel and returned 7.3 Litres/100. Filled again with Vortex on return run and got 6.9 Litres/100. These figures I have repeated several times. So, what it comes back to is the burn characteristics of a particular fuel. Vortex is only 96 RON but offers better economy than a 98 RON fuel (optimax) In my 172 I have used Mobil 98, BP 98 and Vortex and to tell you the truth, can't tell the difference. I don't take the 172 interstate, so can't give a worthy opinion of the various fuels in a 172, but with 11/1 compression I feel the outcome would be similar. I had not used Vortex until a couple of boys in the WRX club said they 'swear' by it. If the RON was the be all and end all then you would think that putting in say methanol would turn your bus into a rocket ship,but the reality is that 150 odd RON requires 16/1 or more compression to go bang.

1000+ Posts

So guys, what's wrong with the three page thread on fuel in Froggy Chat that's still going?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    So guys, what's wrong with the three page thread on fuel in Froggy Chat that's still going?

aaauuummm,probably cause im too lazy too look on the froggy chat and didnt know there was a thread on fuel there.-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by 911s
    Having travelled to the snowfields from Adelaide several times this year, a comment on fuel. In my C180 Merc - 2002 model,(10/1 compression) filled up with Caltex PULP also known as Vortex and got 6.8 Litres/100. Filled up in Victoria with Shell Optimax - not available in Adelaide and was my favorite fuel and returned 7.3 Litres/100. Filled again with Vortex on return run and got 6.9 Litres/100. These figures I have repeated several times. ..
    Ah, but its a downhill run to Adelaide, and you always have to accelerate when leaving SA to escape from the tailgaters, wheras when you are approaching that particular town you have to slow down to leave enough space to stop in so the tailgaters don't plough into the back of you! Maybe you should buy some Vortex in Victoria and see how the mileage compares going back.

Seriously though, did you try buying the fuel at different service stations. Some places actually seem to sell bigger "litres" than others. As I understand it, the older the pump, usually, the more fuel you actually get for your dollar because of increased tolerances etc. I remember one of the motor organisations doing a test on such things some years back and finding discrepancies of up to five percent despite official constraints that meant it was meant to be much less than this!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Hagen
    ...Some places actually seem to sell bigger "litres" than others. As I understand it, the older the pump, usually, the more fuel you actually get for your dollar because of increased tolerances etc. I remember one of the motor organisations doing a test on such things some years back and finding discrepancies of up to five percent despite official constraints that meant it was meant to be much less than this!
    Wow, that's pretty nifty!

The fuel of choice on MINI2 and VWvortex seems to be BP Ultimate. Apparently there are tests "proving" it has a consistently higher RON than Optimax. Can't say many people I have come across have commented on Vortex. Mobil Synergy 8000 seems okay too, although AFAIK it is not available in Canberra.

I generally run Ultimate, but to be honest I can't tell the difference between that and Optimax. Others reckon they can, but I can't. Same applied in my old Mk4 Golf GTI, ran both and couldn't really notice any change.

I've been on Optimax since it's been available in Sydney, recently I find myself using BP as I'm sick and tired of having to line up at Shell stations so all the wally's can save their 4c a litre. I used to swear by BP's Premium fuel prior to 98 octane stuff being available and the Ultimate seems to be a match for Optimax accross the board.

However my thoughts on BP are now a little clouded as one of our team members in the East Coast Targa filled his Ferrari 360 with Ultimate at the BP in Bathurst, problem was it was about 75% water, no I'm not exaggerating, I saw what came out of the tank. Needless to say the said station is going to get a serious bill for repairs and I understand that Ferrari parts are a little more pricey than Holden or Ford stuff. To be fair this is probably an issue with either the tanker or the station itself but still left me in 2 minds about BP's quality control.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by minigolf
    I generally run Ultimate, but to be honest I can't tell the difference between that and Optimax. Others reckon they can, but I can't.
    Yes. Dead right in my book. There is a good reason why wine tasters and scientists use blind, and even double blind, tests, minigolf. My bet is that if you gave people an unmarked jerrycan of optimax to use in their car (without telling them what it was) and then asked whether it was ultimate or optimax after they had used it the answers would be 50% for each of them. If you repeated the experiment with a can of ultimate (or synergy) you would get the same split, with the answers depending completely on chance.

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 2nd November 2004 at 11:38 PM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Personally, I find that with the Shell Optimax, my engine seems to feel smoother. Whereas with the BP Ultimate, the engine feels stronger and more powerful. I've stopped using Mobil Synergy 8000 and have not tried Caltex Vortex in the Mi16.
    1993 Series 2 405 Mi16 [MII-16V]

Oh, I did read somewhere recently that Optimax tends to go "off" a bit quicker than other fuels, this is, I think, part of the reason that Optimax sometimes records lower RON figures as when the fuel goes off the RON drops... but I dunno!

i was talking to elliot at the french garage today and he said that all 205 gti should run on shell optimax as it has cleaning properties that help keep you injectors clean and your engine will ultimitly run smoother.this is what he says and he is french and did his aprentiship at citereon france,so maybe he may have a educated opinion.im going to run the car on shell for 4 tanks worth and see if there is any noticible difference in running or mileage.-BAZZ

i use premium dont matter what type in my 505 gti you now the chemical engineers at bp etc. change the mix of the fuel every day, so there fore if all fuel places are like bp the fuel will probally change all the time. I soppese different place engineer their fuel differently

1000+ Posts

I noticed new signage in Caltex as of today (it wasn't there on Friday)

"Vortex 98" it says.

Their website hasn't been updated to reflect this though: http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?id=15

Derek.

I use premium when I can get it, any brand. I usually use my local shop which I think buys fuel from Shell but I am not sure. Otherwise I use the Shell in the nest town or the first petrol station I get to when the guage is low. I almost never use Woolworths petrol though, only when I have to. At my last place it was Caltex or drive 30 odd kilometres so I used Caltex.
    I can't get any 98RON at all here.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    I noticed new signage in Caltex as of today (it wasn't there on Friday)
    "Vortex 98" it says.
    Yeah, I can confirm that. The Caltex in St Ives on Mona Vale road was also displaying Vortex 98 flags everywhere but my car is on a stict diet of BP Ultimate at the moment to compare it with Optimax which I've been using for the last 6 months. I hear all this talk about how BP is so much better but I've had mixed results with my experiment. Sometimes BP seems better and other times it doesnt. I guess it depends if they've just had a fuel delivery or if it's been sitting at the bottom of the tank for a few weeks...
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

for testing purposes, latelly i've been runing my car on Ampol Gold. Now supossedly Ampol Gold is castrol vortex rebadged and Ampol Gold latelly has been well under to slightly under the $1.00/L mark.

so far i haven't noticed any side effects from runing my car on Gold, and have noticed relatively similar fuel consumption / performance figures as runing on Vortex, which was fairly similiar to when i used to run my 205 on a strict diet of Optimax.

so far, at least as far as i live, the fact that i have been getting Ampol Gold for as low as 92c/L as compared to over $1.00/L for ultimate/optimax the gold has been wining out.

it seems, at least as far as where i live, that Ampol stations are a cheap way of getting Vortex into your car
    Last edited by orestes; 16th November 2004 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i was talking to elliot at the french garage today and he said that all 205 gti should run on shell optimax as it has cleaning properties that help keep you injectors clean and your engine will ultimitly run smoother.this is what he says and he is french and did his aprentiship at citereon france,so maybe he may have a educated opinion.im going to run the car on shell for 4 tanks worth and see if there is any noticible difference in running or mileage.-BAZZ
    b4 i bought my 180 it was recomended that i only use optixax as well, and that is the only fuel it ever drinks, i cant compare and dont wish to swap and change fuel to find out, partly due to a shell account. but i have not noticed any problems. good point about the fuel going off, interested as to the life of the fuel tho.

XTC

BP RON98, no choice as they don't do RON95 here anymore (and must be BP as that's the fuel card).

- gc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    BP RON98, no choice as they don't do RON95 here anymore (and must be BP as that's the fuel card).

- gc -
    The BP station at the corner of Walter Road and Grand Prom has RON98 and RON95 at the bowser. It's the only BP station I have seen with both.

Troy.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    The BP station at the corner of Walter Road and Grand Prom has RON98 and RON95 at the bowser. It's the only BP station I have seen with both. Troy.
    That is rare .. all the ones I go to are RON98 only.

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

That is rare .. all the ones I go to are RON98 only.

- XTC -
    Indeed. I only went there once, they charge nearly 12c/L more for RON98 over normal unleaded! I only went there because their sign was showing unleaded cheaper that the BP near the Galleria. In the end it cost me more. The one near the Galleria is on 7c/L more than normal unleaded.

Not sure what they were charging for RON95.

Troy.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Indeed. I only went there once, they charge nearly 12c/L more for RON98 over normal unleaded! I only went there because their sign was showing unleaded cheaper that the BP near the Galleria. In the end it cost me more. The one near the Galleria is on 7c/L more than normal unleaded. Not sure what they were charging for RON95.Troy.
    The ones around me are 10-11c more for RON98 of standard

- XTC -

Now this is a .sig

The ones around me are 10-11c more for RON98 of standard

- XTC -
    I wonder why different BP stations have such a variation in the price differential?

Troy.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information