Too much crankcase pressure?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Too much crankcase pressure?

My 505GTi builds up what seems like too much pressure inside it, so that when I unscrew the oil filler cap, it expels pressure. It's not enough to blow the dipstick out or anything, but I do think it's the cause of at least some of my oil leaks.

I know this subject has been covered before, and a very interesting thread it is too... but that was for the XN motor. My question is - is there a difference in the PCV department between these engines? I can't spot anything in the Haines.

BTW, the engine seems to be running fine.

Advertisement
    White 505Gti just about fitted with XN & 5 Speed.

"We have enslaved the rest of animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form."
    William Ralph Inge

Sounds more like a blocked breather... well, maybe that means blocked PC Valve doesn't it?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

sought of on the subject

a mate of mine had a pants tearer TRX and if you took the oil filler cap off the engine while it was running it would idle eratically and even drop a cylinder

i mention this as newer pollution controls on newer cars make the engines rely on them to run properly
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Default c/c pressure

If the pressure has got to the stage of forcing oil out the crank seals, check the rubber pipe that comes up side of the block near the dissy for blockage.

The rocker cover has several thicknesses of metal, these block up in the bulge at back of rockercover, where the crank breather pipes come to,
    take off the rocker cover, with a 12mm drill(big anyway) carefully drill thru these layers of metal in the bulge from the inside but be carefull not to drill thru the outside layer of metal. (dont forget to wash out the swarf after)

By doing this you will facilitate the breathing better

Has fixed our GTI and a few others
    Good luck
    Alpine

Ray, yes, when I worked in the spare parts game years ago many cars had a "PCV valve" somewhere in the system. I'm not sure how widespread that device is/was, but I figured that a blockage of one of these beasts was possibly the cause of the increased internal pressure? I can't tell if the GTi has one of these or some other form of breathing apparatus? It's all a bewildering maze of hoses and pipes to me at present. One day soon I'll be familiar with it all hopefully

Not being a total mechanical dunderhead, but sure as hell no expert, especially on my treasured new pug, I'm probably apt to ask a few daft questions...

"We have enslaved the rest of animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form."
    William Ralph Inge

Love that "pants tearer" description PugRambo

William Ralph Inge

Alpine,
    I havent yet managed to clean away sufficient oil and gunk buildup from around the bottom of the engine to tell if the seals are leaaking, I can tell at present that the rocker cover is definately leaking out onto the exhaust manifold... faster than I would expect it to.
    I've started cleaning the engine down from the top first, as the guy I bought it from told me not to "Gurney" it, as it wouldn't start for ages after being subjected to such abuse
    So, until I get it completely cleaned down, and take it for a drive - which is a bit difficult now as it's awaiting roadworthy and rego. it's going to be a bit hard to tell what's coming out of where...

But thanks for your advice, sounds like you've been through this before...

William Ralph Inge

PugRambo, are you impling that a 1985 GTi is a "newer" car??

William Ralph Inge

PugRambo, are you implying that a 1985 GTi is a "newer" car??

William Ralph Inge

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4WDrift
    PugRambo, are you implying that a 1985 GTi is a "newer" car??

well with them running EFI it makes it newer then the older XN engines
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information