205 brake ?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 brake ?

Default 205 brake ?

are there any brake calipers from any other cars that will bolt straight on to a series 1 205 gti.im thinking maybe citereon bx16 calipeers,i know they run the same motor but not sure of brake set-up.
    what about 405 calipers or 306 calipers.would you have to change your rotors.?
    the reason im asking is you cant buy new 205 calipers anymore and im sure a second hand set would have wear n tear and need replacing again anyway,im about to rekit mine but im thinking maybe put up with it a bit longer and save for a new set if poss!!!
    mine have slop in them ,they klunk when braking in reverse when the pads slip,im told this is a very common problem with these cars.
    whats the soloution then guys!??!!?!??
    once again ta-BAZZ

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 brakes

Why do I keep discovering people asking how to save the same problems I have!!!! My brakes do the clunk, drops the idle, and I was about to ask about top strut bearing replacement!!
    HELP

http://www.205gti.com/techbrakeconvUK.htm

this might give you ideas. I think PeterT might have done something very similar to his racecar.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Unfortunately the brakes/driveshafts/hubs fitted to 75kW 1.9L GTi's were the same as fitted to the UK 1.6L GTi. So none of the bigger stuff fits. The UK 1.9L GTi's always had the bigger brakes/driveshafts etc.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by kiwia110
    Why do I keep discovering people asking how to save the same problems I have!!!! My brakes do the clunk, drops the idle, and I was about to ask about top strut bearing replacement!!
    HELP
    its no coincedence,these cars are all heading for the 15-18 year mark and these are the general wear n tear signs associated with this model.
    top strut bearing replacement is about $140 a side for parts plus labour.
    pedders charged me $80 to put them in but they are mates so i got it cheap.
    you will also find that alot of the problems with the cars of this age have either to do with parts that contact or have bearings will wear with age and also anything with rubber as this perishes with age also .good luck ,
    -BAZZ

Thread Information