tappit rattle gone-please explain
  • Register
  • Help

Default tappit rattle gone-please explain

i own a 205 gti 1987,i had some tappit work and valve clearance work done about a month or so ago,this didnt seem to quiet the tappit rattle down much in fact it seemed louder especially when exiting the freeway and stopping at the next set of lights,turning car off and on seemed to work a bit.
    now im really confused,i had a new catalytic converter put on yesterday,it not only has improved the note of the car,its running far more smoothly and has restored the lost power i have been noticing.
    now here is the doozy of a question,WHY HAS THE TAPPIT NOISE GONE AWAY,im not complainig at all just curious .cant seem to figure out why and when i asked a mechanic mate he stared at me in disbeleif but could not argue when i started the car up and he heard it for himself,he could not beleive i had not done anymore than change the cat.he heard my motor when i first got it back and was constantly hassling me to take it back to the mechanic who did the work to get them to do it over again.
    im really happy as i dont have to hassle someone to do their work over and probably spend more money.
    the cat i put on is a high flow cat from a commodore vl turbo,it has opened up the breathing a bit ,could less backpressure from the new cat have anything to do with this?
    CONFUSED-BAZZ

Advertisement

...that is interesting.....I can only assume that the exhaust side of the head might now be running slightly cooler, hence oil is cooler at the cam end and perhaps offering better lubrication......but take it with a pinch of salt...I m so close to a tone now that my reply might not make much sense beside affecting numbers...

cheers

dino

of course there is also the possibitly that it wasn't a tappet rattle but a minor exhaust leak which can sound very similar

Quote Originally Posted by Pug403
    of course there is also the possibitly that it wasn't a tappet rattle but a minor exhaust leak which can sound very similar

is that right?,that might explain it then,i was a nearly gonna take it back to the mechanic,interesting that he didnt pick up on it.
    thanks -BAZZ

Administrator

I must admit that I don't know where the cat-con sits on the 205GTi, but it could've been something as simple as something (perhaps an internal baffle) rattling around in the cat.

Was it a constant tap tap tap or was it a bit more inconsistent?

A noisy solid lifter will remain very constant (usually quieter when warm)...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I must admit that I don't know where the cat-con sits on the 205GTi, but it could've been something as simple as something (perhaps an internal baffle) rattling around in the cat.

Was it a constant tap tap tap or was it a bit more inconsistent?

A noisy solid lifter will remain very constant (usually quieter when warm)...
    the cat/con is the first thing in the exhaust setup,it goes out the manifold past flange gasket into cat,out cat into 1st muffler out 1st muffler into pipe into second muffler out tail pipe.
    it deff was tappit noise ,looked at by a couple of mechanics ,the cat was rattling about 2 weeks before i got it changed and was coming from a completly different place than the noise coming from under the bonnet. im hoping the exhaust leak theory is right as its the most logical explanation so far,thanx for your reply tho-BAZZ

Thread Information