205 dropping idle
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 dropping idle

my gti is starting now and then to drop the idle down to near stalling,it seems to right itself after a while ,it happens when the car has been driven for a while.would i be right in assuming it it a air flow meter sticking.as i said it doesnt happen all the time but i want to get at it before it starts to get too bad.if so how much are they usually to replace or fix.
    i thought it may have been due to the faulty catalytic converter being blocked , i just replaced it and its still doing it.
    thanks for your time-BAZZ

Advertisement

mine does the same and apparently it is the afm. Auto paris in box hill have quoted me $350 for a fresh one and less (forgotten how much less) it mine can be recalibrated.

if you blip the throttle very lightly in your car at idle does the idle drop? it does in mine and i think this was from the afm also.
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

[QUOTE=amcc]mine does the same and apparently it is the afm. Auto paris in box hill have quoted me $350 for a fresh one and less (forgotten how much less) it mine can be recalibrated.

if you blip the throttle very lightly in your car at idle does the idle drop? it does in mine and i think this was from the afm also.[/ QUOTE]

when the car is cold it does not do it.,when i start the car after its warm it does it,no amount of revving or switching on/off helps.although it seems to right itself when driving along,
    probably afm sticking im ringing round,ill quote prices.peugeot want over $1000 for a new one,im ringing the wreckers next i think-BAZZ.-BAZZ
    Last edited by bazgti; 27th October 2004 at 05:43 PM.

Hey guys,

Bazz, I swear every one of your posts reflects exactly what is wrong with my 205 at the moment!

Mine does a similar thing. When you start it, it's fine, bang on 900rpm. If you leave it idling for a bit though, the revs drop and then when you rev a tiny bit, it will die. To keep it alive when you restart, you have to use the throttle. I have to hold it there for a good minute or two and then it might just not stall.

My AFM was replaced by the previous owner, although it was a wreckers job. How do you check for sure? Also, could it not have something to do with the lambda sensor?

Cheers
    Pete
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

[/QUOTE]
    when the car is cold it does not do it.,when i start the car after its warm it does it,no amount of revving or switching on/off helps.although it seems to right itself when driving along,
    probably afm sticking im ringing round,ill quote prices.peugeot want over $1000 for a new one,im ringing the wreckers next i think-BAZZ.-BAZZ[/QUOTE]

let me know how u go with the afm pricing.

might not be a good idea to get one from a wreckers though. because chances are that it will be out of callibration also.
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Quote Originally Posted by plasmapug
    Hey guys,

Bazz, I swear every one of your posts reflects exactly what is wrong with my 205 at the moment!

M ine does a similar thing. When you start it, it's fine, bang on 900rpm. If you
    it idling for a bit though, the revs drop and then when you rev a tiny bit, it will die. To keep it alive when you restart, you have to use the throttle. I have to hold it there for a good minute or two and then it might just not stall.

M y AFM was replaced by the previous owner, although it was a wreckers job. How do you check f or sure? Also, could it not have something to do with the lambda sensor?

C heers
    P ete
    yeah!, thats great,i suppose thats a good thing for you as im answering all your questions and doing your research for you,ill let you know my account no and you can start paying me now for the research-[sarc]ha ha ha ha ,
    seriously though, i think we must have a simlar age car,mines a 1987 205 gti.i suppose that due to the age of these things generally similar problems will arise.
    as you may have gathered im obsessed with getting it running well.
    when i bought it it had a whole lotta stuff to do but i dont care as im about 2/3 of the way through it and by the time im finished ill have a really good little car,im spending a bit ,sure but i really like the car and got it cheap so i dont mind.
    by the way whats a LAMBADA SENSOR ,i thought that was a dance,ha ha ha.
    i think i might try to get my afm recalibrated if possible as they are over $1000 new which is why your p.o. got one from a wrecker ,ill get mine checked to see
    1-if thats the problem
    2-if it can be fixed or recalibrated cause as a previous post said even if you get one from a wrecker youll have to get it recalibrated anyway.
    the only way to know for sure i reckon is to take it to a pug mechanic with the right gear.
    ill posT results ,see ya -BAZZ

Mine did this and turned out to be the vacuum advance valve. I understand a dodgy O2 sensor can cause similar issues.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    Mine did this and turned out to be the vacuum advance valve. I understand a dodgy O2 sensor can cause similar issues.
    my vaccuum advance is not and has not been conected ever since ive had the car,ill get it fixed eventually but there are more serious things that need my money and attention.
    im told that it only makes a slight diff to normal running and that with it not working ill use a bit more fuel at freeway speeds.
    is the oxygen sensor the one just infront of the catalytic converter cause i just replaced the cat and maybe it might need replacing as well.
    ya-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    yeah!, thats great,i suppose thats a good thing for you as im answering all your questions and doing your research for you,ill let you know my account no and you can start paying me now for the research-[sarc]ha ha ha ha
    By the rate of the repairs on your pug, I think your monetary situation is just fine I've had mine for almost three years and I still need: front and rear suspension, exhaust and in about 60k kms, a rebuild!

by the way whats a LAMBADA SENSOR ,i thought that was a dance,ha ha ha.
    You total Anyway, I thought the lambda sensor was another name for the O2 sensor.

By the way, I do appreciate you posting all the info, it's a great help. Hopefully I will post something useful sometime!

Pete
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

I heard that you can use an air flow meter from a nissan which is heaps cheaper and is the same, $1000 seems excessive but it's a Peugeot so no suprises there.
    Elliot from Elliot tune (0412391205, Moorabbin, Vic) told me about the nissan part as mine needs replacing, maybe give him a call and check it out.
    It's not to bad at the moment so I'll get it done once I get all the other stuff that needs doing to it done!
    He's a pretty good mechanic, knows his french cars.
    cheers
    jamin

Quote Originally Posted by plasmapug
    By the rate of the repairs on your pug, I think your monetary situation is just fine I've had mine for almost three years and I still need: front and rear suspension, exhaust and in about 60k kms, a rebuild!

You total Anyway, I thought the lambda sensor was another name for the O2 sensor.

By the way, I do appreciate you posting all the info, it's a great help. Hopefully I will post something useful sometime!

Pete
    yeah i know i spend alot on the car,what can i say im obssesed and mostly after repairs s
    atisfyingly broke.[im single at the moment,so my spare moneys my own]
    im gonna get it as close to new running as i can afford , not hotting it up just as close to original as possible ,that said ive just about done most things about another 2 grand over the next year or 3 and shell be near perfect.
    the problem with 17 year old cars is they wear out,you drive em they wear.
    i only paid 5 grand for it and id saved about 8grand to buy a car with so the rest went on running repairs.plus a bit more along the way.
    also i got new rims and tyres ,i should have held out on the rims and spent that elsewhere.i got it off a guy who hardly drove it cause he was very sick for a longwhile.hes better now.
    also he took more care of the looks than the running gear so i knew i had alot to do but i dont mind as i now know the car inside out[well nearly].
    the motor and gear box are fine so thats a releif,
    all up it will cost me about 11 grand and the car will be near new,even if id spent that 11 on a newer s3 205,chances are that i would have still had to replace something costly.
    probably good arguements for and against what ive done but im happy as ive still had a car
    to drive as ive repaired it and got to know what to look out for in terms of maintenence.
    the motor will eventually need reconditioning but its onlt got 174,000k so ill get another 80-100k[i hope] or so then do it .
    anyway better go ive been rambling again-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by jamin
    I heard that you can use an air flow meter from a nissan which is heaps cheaper and is the same, $1000 seems excessive but it's a Peugeot so no suprises there.
    Elliot from Elliot tune (0412391205, Moorabbin, Vic) told me about the nissan part as mine needs replacing, maybe give him a call and check it out.
    It's not to bad at the moment so I'll get it done once I get all the other stuff that needs doing to it done!
    He's a pretty good mechanic, knows his french cars.

cheers
    jamin
    ta mate,do you know what model nissan has the same airflow meter by any chance,thanks for the tip-bazz

He just said Nissan but mentioned Toyota Camry aswell.
    Cheers
    Jamin

Thread Information