cat/convert change update.
  • Register
  • Help

Default cat/convert change update.

i ended up getting a vl commodore v8 high flow catalytic converter for the 205 gti.its a steel direct replacment cat made by cataran in thomastown.i got it thru autobarn and lucked out and got it on a sale day for $250 in stead of $320.its huge in size and its bigger than the pipe so will have to be flanged on.
    when i went to get it fitted though i was booked in for 4.30 with the place closing at 5 on a fri afternoon so i wasnt surprised when they said i have to come back on monday cause its not a cut and weld job and would take too long.
    because the new cat is bigger in size they have to fashion a flange and a new bit of pipe from just below the manifold/exhaust bracket. the problem being the old pipe bends a bit in front and behind the old cat and its not a straight weld in jobbo. the problem is the gear linkage being in the way
    so they have to bend around it.oh well shit happens,looks like im goin back on monday.
    cant wait to see any performance difference but most of all cant wait for the rattle trap underneath my seat to go cause its gettin pretty bad .-BAZZ

Advertisement

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i ended up getting a vl commodore v8 high flow catalytic converter for the 205 gti.its a steel direct replacment cat made by cataran in thomastown.i got it thru autobarn and lucked out and got it on a sale day for $250 in stead of $320.its huge in size and its bigger than the pipe so will have to be flanged on.
    when i went to get it fitted though i was booked in for 4.30 with the place closing at 5 on a fri afternoon so i wasnt surprised when they said i have to come back on monday cause its not a cut and weld job and would take too long.
    because the new cat is bigger in size they have to fashion a flange and a new bit of pipe from just below the manifold/exhaust bracket. the problem being the old pipe bends a bit in front and behind the old cat and its not a straight weld in jobbo. the problem is the gear linkage being in the way
    so they have to bend around it.oh well shit happens,looks like im goin back on monday.
    cant wait to see any performance difference but most of all cant wait for the rattle trap underneath my seat to go cause its gettin pretty bad .-BAZZ

Keep us posted Bazz, it looks like i'll be doing the same soon too.

Cheers
    Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    Hey Bazgti, which exhaust place are you taking it to? can you let me know how reasonable their prices are and the quality of their work? cheers
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

the cat is now on the car.its made the exhaust note a bit lower,it was predominatly peaking at aroun 80-100k.now its more likr 50-80k a deeper sound without being louder.
    its running smoother and has more guts now,[not heaps but noticable]
    i was told that after driving for a week or so to get the fuel mixture checked as putting a bigger cat than usuall opens up the exhaust but can make the car run leaner in mixture.\it was done by daalder exhaust 500 station st box hill.good bunch of guys who know what they are talking about.the job was done very well ,will report any problems.bit of a funny plastic smell at first ,was told its the paint on the welds burning in.
    it cost $100 to put on cause its not just cut n weld,they have to put in a new bit of pipe from exhaust bracket to cat then cat to muffler as the new cats bigger and wont clear gear linkages.
    so there you go-,im happy so far-BAZZ

Thread Information