16 inch Superlites
  • Register
  • Help
    pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Default 16 inch Superlites

I saw an ad in Unique Cars for the new 16 inch Superlite. I think it was Performance Wheels. So now we might be able to put 16 inch wheels onto our old Pugs!

It's not on the Performance website yet.

Advertisement

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    I saw an ad in Unique Cars for the new 16 inch Superlite. I think it was Performance Wheels. So now we might be able to put 16 inch wheels onto our old Pugs!

John
    My brother has a set of these on his Jag XJ-S with slicks for racing. They look awesome! (Especially when I sat them onto the 205's hub. ). Thay are made by Performance Wheels & have been on the market for about a year.
    Bonus is that they can put any stud patten you want in them.

Will

John
    I am trying to obtain these wheels in a 16" size at the moment for my 505 racecar. The offset required interferes ever so slightly with the rear calipers requiring the outer edge of the caliper to be slightly ground. Because of this the manufacturer won't drill them to the 505 pattern. A spacer would also solve the problem but they don't like this either. I'm sure we will come to an agreement soon and when I get them I will post a Pic.

Jarrod

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    I am trying to obtain these wheels in a 16" size at the moment for my 505 racecar. The offset required interferes ever so slightly with the rear calipers requiring the outer edge of the caliper to be slightly ground. Because of this the manufacturer won't drill them to the 505 pattern. A spacer would also solve the problem but they don't like this either. I'm sure we will come to an agreement soon and when I get them I will post a Pic.

Jarrod
    I've seen 15 inch Superlites on at least two 505s and one 504. Hank V. has 15s on his 404 wagon. Also, I read an article on an Australian Pug club website about someone who bought 15s for his 505 STI. When the tyrefitters tried to fit the rears they had trouble as you described, so they sent back the wheels and got two more with a different offset. The way the story was told, it sounded like a mistake had been made and once the right wheels were tried all was OK. However, as far as I know, the "correct" wheels will rub.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

I've seen 15 inch Superlites on at least two 505s and one 504. Hank V. has 15s on his 404 wagon. Also, I read an article on an Australian Pug club website about someone who bought 15s for his 505 STI. When the tyrefitters tried to fit the rears they had trouble as you described, so they sent back the wheels and got two more with a different offset. The way the story was told, it sounded like a mistake had been made and once the right wheels were tried all was OK. However, as far as I know, the "correct" wheels will rub.

John
    I also saw this article. I think it is on the canberra site. I have seen one 505 in melb with these wheels in 15" and the calipers were modified. I don't know if my particular problem is because I am after 16". Maybe they don't have so many offsets available for this size. From what I have been told these wheels are a copy of the minilite and are predominately designed to fit 70's cars that had 13 and 14" wheels originally. Hopefully I will have it sorted soon.

Jarrod

Default 16" tires on our Pugs.

I've been doing some research and have found that guys in Malaysia are re-drilling the hubs to 5x120 and fitting BMW 5 series wheels. Apparently 7" wide with 20 mm offset is perfect.

I personally want considerably wider wheels and have looked at 17x8.5" and just some quick guessing says they'll fit with 25mm H&R spacers on the front. Back wheels *should* clear but that's just a hunch.

Do any of you have any experience with this modification? I've only got rumour and conjecture so if anyone knows why this wouldn't work I'd love to hear it.

The other more $$$ option is to have some custom wheels made - I have a quote for $450 CDN per wheel built to my spec - not a bad price - but BMW wheels would be so much cheaper and offer a much better assortment of tires to have for the car.

Rabin

Default Superlites

I fitted 15 x 6 Superlites to my 505 about 18 months ago, and when I tried to drive my car off the hoist in the tyre shop it was like having the handbrake left on. As mentioned, the rear calipers were slightly too wide for the wheels to clear them. Less then 10 minutes with an angle grinder and I was on my way. It only needed about 2mm taken off from memory. After all this discussion on bigger wheels being fitted to 505/504 Pugs I think I'm going to have to investigate further! I found this pic on the 'Tramont' website, has to be the meanest looking 505 on the planet (except the rally/supertourer cars).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16 inch Superlites-pug-505-auptic.jpg  

Default That's a GORGEOUS car!

Yep - I'd have to agree with that being a damn fine 505!

The look at the rear is totally what I'm after. A wheel that fills the well completely and comes flush or virtually flush with the body work.

That car also looks a bit lowered as well - again what I'm looking at doing...

I've decided to purchase a used set of Racing Dyamics 17x8.5" wheels and will attempt to make them fit my car. Once I have the wheels in place I'll do whatever is necessary to the suspension and body to make them fit. I'm hoping just some subtle bulging of the fenders is all that will be needed - I'd like to keep the car nice and clean looking save for the monster rubber. Falken Azenis come in 245/45/17 and that should work quite nicely for a summer only car that compete's in the odd autocross/solo II. We may even have a Solo I venue if all goes well next year (Solo road racing cuircuit).

If all goes well I'll definitely post the info and pics for others to do the same.

Thread Information