Fuego - pipes 'n' stuff
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fuego - pipes 'n' stuff

When I recently had my carby overhauled, the mechanic mentioned that a certain amount of the vacuum hoses and stuff from behind the RHS of the engine bay just behind the headlight could be removed (evidently its to do with emission gear) The manual doesn't make any mention of the these parts. My questions are;

What is the purpose of these hoses?
    Are there any solenoids are other electronics associated with them?
    Can they be removed and if so, woould there be any benifits?

Advertisement

Do you have any pictures of the hoses he describes? Just that around that area is the vacuum reservoir for the heater/aircond controls with associated hoses. Those ones you just wouldn't want to remove.

Also is the emission control causing any problems? If not I'd suggest to leave everything as it is, otherwise things could just get worse. There would overall be no real benefits in removing the stuff, especially if it isn't causing any trouble.

Default carbie overhaul

Yo Feral,

I would be very pleased if you could describe where and how much you paid to have your carbie o/hauled. Are you refitting it yourself and would you have any time to help out a fellow frogger with his carbie problems in Adelaide's East?

Cheers edgedweller.

I had it done by Caubureter Sales and Service, 8 Little Rundle St, Kent Town. It was done about 4 months ago and cost me about $300. This included removal and installation and an overhaul kit.

I must admit I'm at the end of my tether with the weber though. This is the second rebuild in 2 years, and it still hasn't run right - icing up, tempermental auto choke among other things. I'm currently looking at a Holley as a replacement and have located one for about $350.

Guys, (feral & edgedweller)
    If you are having trouble with the Fuego weber, why not try a R20TS weber as a direct repacement? They haven't got nearly as much 'un-neccessary' plumbing! IMHO or at least from what I have heard from some Fuego owners, the R20 weber is more reliable. I owned 3 R20's and had no trouble getting them to hold good 'tune' for as long as needed. I never had to do anything between plug/point changes in the way of tuning or resetting the idle speed or mixture.

Chris.

Default fuego carbies

yo feral what holley are you looking at, i have a 350 going cheaper than 350.

And Chris thanks for the tip on the R20TS carb.

Cheers edgedweller

Quote Originally Posted by feral
    and it still hasn't run right - icing up, tempermental auto choke among other things.
    Does the car have the hose running from the manifold ducting to the aircleaner intake? This could be the problem with the carby icing up, as well as the themostatic flap in the air cleaner intake not working properly.

How clean is the cooling system? It could be the base plate of the carby being clagged with crud or corrosion preventing the hot water from circulating properly through the choke and base plate carby heater. Mistereno has also devised a revision to the Fuego choke, so probably do a search using the search facility for it.

Thanks for that - I'll have a poke on the weekend and let you know how I go witht the airbox. The cooling system is good (although I suspect it may have some air in it).

Edgedweller, can you PM me with your details and a price.

Cheers

1000+ Posts

Yikes!

You blokes must have money to burn - a carby kit costs under $70 and a weber manual set me back about $25 - the icing up is a simple plumbing of heat from the manifold to the air cleaner base.

Sometimes we go for the expensive fix rather than look for the underlying simple and inexpensive remedies (I've done that myself ) you always think the worst= overheating cracked head or block! - misfiring/sluggish = new carby or complete overhaul!

Went through this syndrome recently with my wifes Camry, it was overheating and burst an upper hose, then sprung a leak at the Thermostat housing- did hose, then new thermostat and seal. still boiling on the upper hose side some crud in overflow bottle =$$$$$$$ when I don't really want to spend this on a car that will be traded in soon!!

Radiator cap looked o.k. but decided to replace it anyway.

$20 - problem fixed

Ken.

Thread Information