Prv Ecu Computer
  • Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Should i look at a batch import of prv gear from o/s?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yes! What are you waiting for!

1 50.00%
  • Whats a PRV

1 50.00%
  • Dont be Daft!

0 0%

Default Prv Ecu Computer

have started the fun on my humble pug...

wiring is about 30% done, gong very well... however, the computer is giving me an issue... the guys at the wreckers gave me a 740 computer, saying its the wrong tag... WRONG the plug wouldnt even fit. the only ones that fit were the ones marked 940... so, i pose this question: the 4 cylinder computer IS not the same as the 6 cyl, is it?

if not, looks like mr megasquirt will be installed sooner than expected..

#2 question to all the prv heads out there... the input shaft for the v6 is different to that of the 4 pot on the gearbox, that much i know. BUT what about the output shaft, ie. to the driveshaft? wild guess here is its going to be the same for production simplicity, but i dont want to be wrong if i source a v6 box (not looking too bright now, but you never know)

finally, a follow up on the bellhousing situation... any luck on the auto bell conversion?

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Janek
    have started the fun on my humble pug...

wiring is about 30% done, gong very well... however, the computer is giving me an issue... the guys at the wreckers gave me a 740 computer, saying its the wrong tag... WRONG the plug wouldnt even fit. the only ones that fit were the ones marked 940... so, i pose this question: the 4 cylinder computer IS not the same as the 6 cyl, is it?

if not, looks like mr megasquirt will be installed sooner than expected..

#2 question to all the prv heads out there... the input shaft for the v6 is different to that of the 4 pot on the gearbox, that much i know. BUT what about the output shaft, ie. to the driveshaft? wild guess here is its going to be the same for production simplicity, but i dont want to be wrong if i source a v6 box (not looking too bright now, but you never know)

finally, a follow up on the bellhousing situation... any luck on the auto bell conversion?

The rear shaft is the same.
    The 4 cylinder computer won't be the same, it will only have 4 wires to the injectors for a start.
    If going megasquirt you will need the extra megasquirt ignition system as well, this will add a fair bit of complexity.
    Graham

hmm... it will be interesting... seeing that i only have available 4 cyl units (apparrently it may have been wrongly labelled), it looks like ill have to just take the complexity under the chin, and deal with it... on the up side, i do have oodles of time. about 3 months before i start thinking about engine into car, and another 3 till i want it on the road, so i believe 6 months should be enough time to get the megasquirt/spark unit constructed, and then deal with wring it to the engine... which will be much teh same as using the stock computer, as the wiring harness has been cut in 4 places, and in the very least i'd need to re-splice it all together again...

i guess my megasquirt days will be much closer than i though theyd be... graham, any quick notes on the first start? what sort of info will i need to plug in before i think about turning the key? (bear in mind this is jst very preliminary curiosity)

BTW, anyone know where i can get, say 10 m of about 30-50 different colored wires? or will it be red n black all the way :S

thanks!
    Janek

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Janek
    hmm... it will be interesting... seeing that i only have available 4 cyl units (apparrently it may have been wrongly labelled), it looks like ill have to just take the complexity under the chin, and deal with it... on the up side, i do have oodles of time. about 3 months before i start thinking about engine into car, and another 3 till i want it on the road, so i believe 6 months should be enough time to get the megasquirt/spark unit constructed, and then deal with wring it to the engine... which will be much teh same as using the stock computer, as the wiring harness has been cut in 4 places, and in the very least i'd need to re-splice it all together again...

i guess my megasquirt days will be much closer than i though theyd be... graham, any quick notes on the first start? what sort of info will i need to plug in before i think about turning the key? (bear in mind this is jst very preliminary curiosity)

BTW, anyone know where i can get, say 10 m of about 30-50 different colored wires? or will it be red n black all the way :S

thanks!
    Janek
    The tuning software has a calculator to work out a rough starting point. The hardest bit will be working out the positioning of the timing sensors on the flywheel.
    It is best to test the ECU first. I have built the Stimulator, you're welcome to send down the completed ECU for testing.
    Graham

Thread Information