205 gti cat/convert
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default 205 gti cat/convert

    when it rains it pours or so it seems,the catalytic converter is stuffed in my 205 gti,what i thought was the exhaust guard plate rattiling turned out to be the cat,,.
    now ive been told to rip the guts out of it and put it back on but it does not look easy without welding it back together and i dont have a welder .
    i must also mention that seeing as ive spent a small fortune on front end rebuild im a bit low on the ol cashola at present.it would have to happen now! doh!
    another remedy is get a peice of exhaust pipe and just replace the cat with the pipe untill i can afford one .a new after market one is $580 from east euro imports.
    i know this aint exactly legal but as my car is tidy and clean without being loutish i dont usually get pulled over.and the chances of a roadside blitz is remote.
    its not loud and i dont drive it fast.
    there is a second hand cat for $165 off a car thats done 160,000km ,mines done 170,000km and i dont really want a cat that will burn out in 10,000k.
    does anybody have any advice on what to do or better still a low milage second hand cat .
    or a second hand one that works, cheap.
    i understand that when you remove the cat you get better performance.this is not why im removing it ,it is stuffed although i wont say no to more performance.
    does anyone run a street version 205 gti without the cat?,have you been hassled by the police
    thanks guys-BAZZ

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! JAG80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    when it rains it pours or so it seems,the catalytic converter is stuffed in my 205 gti,what i thought was the exhaust guard plate rattiling turned out to be the cat,,.
    now ive been told to rip the guts out of it and put it back on but it does not look easy without welding it back together and i dont have a welder .
    i must also mention that seeing as ive spent a small fortune on front end rebuild im a bit low on the ol cashola at present.it would have to happen now! doh!
    another remedy is get a peice of exhaust pipe and just replace the cat with the pipe untill i can afford one .a new after market one is $580 from east euro imports.
    i know this aint exactly legal but as my car is tidy and clean without being loutish i dont usually get pulled over.and the chances of a roadside blitz is remote.
    its not loud and i dont drive it fast.
    there is a second hand cat for $165 off a car thats done 160,000km ,mines done 170,000km and i dont really want a cat that will burn out in 10,000k.
    does anybody have any advice on what to do or better still a low milage second hand cat .
    or a second hand one that works, cheap.
    i understand that when you remove the cat you get better performance.this is not why im removing it ,it is stuffed although i wont say no to more performance.
    does anyone run a street version 205 gti without the cat?,have you been hassled by the police
    thanks guys-BAZZ
    I wouldn't risk it. Try AutoParis in Box Hill for a quote on an aftermarket high flow cat - may be a cheaper option.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    thanks for your reply ,i did ring auto paris and you wouldnt beleive the price quoted,european auto imports were the cheapeast quote at $580,unfortunatly im strapped for cash and i need the car everyday for the ferrying of children to and from school.
    taking off the cat does no harm to the motor ,in fact in helps the air flow.
    they are put on the car to cut down on engine emission,
    thanks anyway-BAZZ

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! matt205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Any decent exhaust place will be able to weld in a non-genuine replacement, I think the one in mine is the VL commodore turbo replacement, good flow and cheap. Shouldn't be more than $250 - $300 I would have thought.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

    Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    Any decent exhaust place will be able to weld in a non-genuine replacement, I think the one in mine is the VL commodore turbo replacement, good flow and cheap. Shouldn't be more than $250 - $300 I would have thought.

    was that in the car or was that just the price of the cat.?and its a vl commodore turbo catalytic converter you used in your 205 gti?-BAZZ

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,566

    Default

    ...my 205 gti is MINUS cat.....paid the muffler guy something like $40 to remove it....naturally he filled the gap with same size pipe.....yes its illlegal.....and fines are high.....do at your own peril.....make your own judgemnts re. performance gain...I was impressed....Otherwise the right thing to do is obviously replace with (so called) functioning unit.....I d go to a muffler shop and see what advice they can offer....the vl comm. cats are renown for good flow and have been used commonly in many diferent applications....


    cheers


    dino

  7. #7
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I can tell you how not to do it. If it cracked and chunks are rattling around, be sure not to remove the exhaust and smash it out. Don't try shoving a flexible piece of steel through the down pipe. Don't bash the end of your exhaust on the ground to get broken bits out. It deforms the end so it won't seal properly, the exhaust will have a sick, tinny sound and performance will be same or worse.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts tekkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    new high flow cats contribute about <1% to the power loss in your engine.

    I had a 2.25 inch CAT priced at $150+ fitting (no brand name replacement for VN V6). Go to the exhaust shops and ask about the commodore CATS. V6 or V8. Both flow very well according to two exhaust shops I asked.
    .
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

    EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40


  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! JAG80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    thanks for your reply ,i did ring auto paris and you wouldnt beleive the price quoted,european auto imports were the cheapeast quote at $580,unfortunatly im strapped for cash and i need the car everyday for the ferrying of children to and from school.
    taking off the cat does no harm to the motor ,in fact in helps the air flow.
    they are put on the car to cut down on engine emission,
    thanks anyway-BAZZ

    No worries. That's surprising because I got one through AP for my Mi and it was only $350. Must be a different story for the 205.
    I'm sure we would all dump our cats and stick a bit of pipe in if we were allowed to, but we're not and although the chance of being pulled over by the cops is slim, I wouldn't risk that.
    Good luck shutting the thing up I know how annoying they can be.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    i rang auto paris back and your right,its only about $350 for a high flow cat.they get the exhaust centre roung the corner to do the job and they inspect it after.i think the other price was a misquote or something.lucky i rang back hey!-
    thanks -bazz

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! JAG80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i rang auto paris back and your right,its only about $350 for a high flow cat.they get the exhaust centre roung the corner to do the job and they inspect it after.i think the other price was a misquote or something.lucky i rang back hey!-
    thanks -bazz
    Nice one! I think it's money well spent - it's brand new, under warranty, flows well, it's not going to fall to bits and you don't have to worry about a massive fine.

    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! AlsPug504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    310

    Icon7 pussy

    You could try Daadler exhaust in Box Hill. I heard from a mate they did a good stainless 3 inch cat for about 260 bucks. I am sure they may do the same in steel cheaper.

    Al

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlsPug504
    You could try Daadler exhaust in Box Hill. I heard from a mate they did a good stainless 3 i nch cat for about 260 bucks. I am sure they may do the same in steel
    cheaper.

    Al
    thanks mate ,your absoloutly right,i rang a suggested repair place and it turns out thats where they would have taken it and i have saved myself about $60 taking it there myself,
    i get pissed off with that. instead of just telling you a good place to go ,you have to push them to find out that they were going to take it to another place and charge you an hours labour to drive it 5 min there and 5 mins back.
    i dont care for the 'thats how we make money' bul***t'.its dishonest.and i will not put up with it from these shysters[spelling?] .
    its goin to cost me $377 on the car for a high flow cat,the other place was goin to charge $430.
    anyway enough of my grumbling and thanks for the tips guys-BAZZ

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    UPDATE-i enquired at the local autobarn on the weekend how much they could supply a v l commodore turbo high flow cat for ,thet got back today and said that normaly they are $300 but cause i enquired on saturday and they had a %20 sale on they will give it to me for $240.
    seems like you cant help good luck either!-BAZZ

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •