fuego injection finally finished
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 fuego injection finally finished

Today I finally finished my fuel injection conversion to my fuego.
    Only took a weekend The best performance upgrade i have done to it yet.
    Still have a few hours of stuffing around to go but from the short not so hard drive I have had in it so far you can really notice the difference.
    Pics coming soon for those interested.

Advertisement

details!!!!! Did you do the R21/25 motor installation, or use something on the original motor? And yes - pics please!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Icon10

The bottom end is still fuego, but the top end is 21 with a 21 factory computer.
    Pics coming soon, been getting home to late this week to take good fotos.
    but they are coming

ah - that must have been you that got the head and computer from that silver R21 out at pickapart in Kilsyth! Did you shave the head to up the compression? a 2.2 head on a 2.0 block would result in a very low compression i would have thought

Yeah I got that head off that one. not the computer though, whoever got that is gonna be disappointeds, I had a look at it and the internals are coocked, the rest I got from reno spares
    The two heads are identical, except ofcourse for the intake ports. The 21 gets its 2.2 litres from a slightly shorter stroke
    So compression is about the same. Mines is probably a bit higher, they took a fair pit off the head whe it was recoed

pics are coming 2morrow hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnaWanna
    Yeah I got that head off that one. not the computer though, whoever got that is gonna be disappointeds, I had a look at it and the internals are coocked, the rest I got from reno spares
    The two heads are identical, except ofcourse for the intake ports. The 21 gets its 2.2 litres from a slightly shorter stroke
    So compression is about the same. Mines is probably a bit higher, they took a fair pit off the head whe it was recoed
    the 2.2 is a longer stroke. same bore. I would have thought that the combustion chamber volume on the 2.2 head would be larger to compensate for the larger volume of gas being forced into it? hence an even lower compression with the 2.0 block. But if it runs well, alls good! But then again, they may well be the same, as the EFI motor can run a higher compression due to the knock sensor than the low comp Fuego, so you may just have the Fuego compression ratio. You could then up that a bit if you want for more poke, as the knock sensor/computer will allow for it.

Would love to have a look at your handy work - doing that conversion (I already have all the bits for it - just need to get another Fuego - or sell them to Mistareno if he ever answers me - yes you Richard ) has been on my wish list for years!!

I am pretty sure there is minimal difference between combustion chambers, although I did eyeball it Although the 2 mm lip around them is almost flat with the head now I think they had to shave it a bit to get it flat. So I wouldnt be surprised if it was slightly higher than fuego comp. Ill do a comp test and get back to you anyway

In a way it is unfortuate because I would like to Turbo it next when I have some spare cash (yeah right spare cash)
    Ohwell, decomp plate it is.

It all fit in fairly nicely, had to get rid of the stock fuego airfilter, and cut a bit out of the box section that the headlight is mounted into to get the intake mainfold to fit but other than that it sat in nicely.

I ripped aout the A/C system too which makes the drivers side of the engine bay empty.

where in Melb are you? Love to come and have a look - give me a bell on 0417511433

Administrator

I am pretty sure there is minimal difference between combustion chambers, although I did eyeball it Although the 2 mm lip around them is almost flat with the head now I think they had to shave it a bit to get it flat. So I wouldnt be surprised if it was slightly higher than fuego comp. Ill do a comp test and get back to you anyway

In a way it is unfortuate because I would like to Turbo it next when I have some spare cash (yeah right spare cash)
    Ohwell, decomp plate it is.

It all fit in fairly nicely, had to get rid of the stock fuego airfilter, and cut a bit out of the box section that the headlight is mounted into to get the intake mainfold to fit but other than that it sat in nicely.

I ripped aout the A/C system too which makes the drivers side of the engine bay empty.
    Yeehaaa...

I would love to see it also, as I have been wanting to dod a similar thing, but I keep saying I'll wait till the engine dies, but it keeps going strong so I live with it...

BTW- Haakon, hows my engine going, I'm getting jealous

The main reason I want to EFI mine is to allow for a bit of external pressure down the track..

I hope you got the camshaft bores machined when you got the head done. I have heard that it requires some machining if you get the head resurfaced or else the cam will be installed slightly warped and chew out the housing...

Nah I didnt get the camshaft bores redone, the head wasnt warped, it had some bad pitting in it which is why the reco place had to skim it a bit, that is what I meant by flat

I live in the eastern burbs. What are you doing this weekend? I may have some time on sunday

Hey GunnaWanna,

What exhaust are your running with this new set up, word on the street (or crt ) is it isn't standard feugo, something to do with 666???. How bout a pic??

Jensen

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Nah I didnt get the camshaft bores redone, the head wasnt warped, it had some bad pitting in it which is why the reco place had to skim it a bit, that is what I meant by flat

sounds pretty normal for old euro alloy

it has always amazed me how jap/aussie alloy is so different from euro alloy

euro alloy always comes up dull when clean and even has a different sound when you tap it

i was amazed though when i got my block machined out that it didn't have any signs of porosity in the casting which was good to see and my heads came up like new and not a single sign of corrosion anywhere to be seen
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Yeah Jensen, I have a devil rear box courtesy of autoparis and I cut out the middle muffler and replaced it with a clio sport hotdog
    Sounds pretty cool now with that exhaust and the new induction noise not previously available on the shitty carb.

Tadpole

Have been reading this thread with interest.
    What does Vicroads say about the conversion?
    What does your insurance co. say about the conversion?
    I have been told this EFI system is a DELCO (GM) derivative and that it doesn't take much to re-program the chip.
    Do you use PULP?
    I look foreward to seeing the Fuego at the next All French Car Day!

Icon10

Diamond

My Insurance company tick boxes for mods are very general, I just marked it down as an EFI upgrade. It runs anything other than diesel and lpg.
    I have yet to try it on pulp, wil be interested to see the difference if any.
    I finaly had it completey ready to go last nite so I got to take it for a thrash. Keeps pulling up to 7 grand. Very nice indeed

I think it is a Renix system, it does however use a GM map sensor. I didnt have to reprogram anything, I think powerchip has a chip for the ECU i am using but from all reports I have had from other people they reckon the performance gain isnt worth they money they charge.

My plan is to run an aftermarket ECU eventually but that will be happening with the turbocharger when I have cubic money to spend :p

Renix is the Reno badged edition of Seimem's EFI systems. Can get power chips, but easier to get a R21 Turbo ECU from pommyland when the hairdryer gets bolted on - the mapping on the Turbo ECU is pretty extreme in "standard" form apparently.

Gunnawarra - looking for excuses (not that I really need them at this point ) to drive the 406, and I'm in Hawthorn - what time you get home from work and where are you?

I i finish at 5:00pm most nites . Live in Blackburn, so it isnt too far from you!
    Shall I ring you later to arange further details.

As requested
    Here are the pics, it was a bit dark so they didnt turn out that well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    para un auto de rapido fuego

Hakkon

I did finally did a comp test the other day, Im getting 175psi per cylinder so about 9-9.2 to 1 comp so it has only dropped slightly
    para un auto de rapido fuego

Thread Information