subframe bolts drama 205 gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default subframe bolts drama 205 gti

well here goes,sheeeesh what a drama,
    as you may have read in some recent posts by me that im having dramas with bolts coming loose in the sway bar brackets,ive ordered new brackets and bolts from peugeot france and have used longer bolts protruding through the brackets with lock nuts on the ends to fix the proble m untill the new brackets arrive.

Advertisement

the problem now is that im trying to order new SUBFRAME BOLTS as half of them have been stretched due to overtightening by the prev owners mechanic i suppose.or maybe just wear n tear from hard driving.im not sure ,i dont drive it hard but it was bought second hand,
    there are six in all.
    two directly behind the sway bar brackets on both sidesat the rear of the subframe and one either side above each wheel all bolting the subframe to the bottom of the car.not sure if the side ones are the same size as the ones at the back of swaybar brackets.

what a drama,after twice been sent wrong parts from peugeot sydney we [that is peugeot]have to order new ones from france.
    no problem you say,well first you have to get the parts guys and two mechanics at the parts place to try to figure out what size they actually are.
    the parts cd rom at peugeot lists a 10*1.5-60 bolt.this is not the right bolt size.[too small]mine is an 1987 gti 205 and it doesnot state if the part was upgraded on the next series.
    i am trying to get a clear time at the peugeot workshop in hawthorn so they can physically take out one of the bolts to measure it .
    would any body by chance know if these type of automotive bolts can be purchased anywhere in melbourne ,just in case of not being able to get new ones,im not holding my breath over peugeot getting it right or being able to get it at all for that matter.[yeah i know im gettin cynical]
    or last of all does anyone have a set of subframe bolts from a 1987 205 gti that are not sretched i could purchase or at least one spare one so i can tout it around to get similar
    one .thanks for your time-BAZZ [email protected] 0418126691

Any self respecting fastener supplier will have these in stock, just wip one out and take it along for comparison. Out of interest what do Peugeot want for these? I replaced mine when the 16v went in, I think they cost about $3 each.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not sure yet,do you have the correct sizes for them as thet still cant figure it out-bazz

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    Any self respecting fastener supplier will have these in stock, just wip one out and take it along for comparison. Out of interest what do Peugeot want for these? I replaced mine when the 16v went in, I think they cost about $3 each.

yeah youre right i just got some at a bolt place,the difference being that the bolts head on the car is a different size and thats why it threw me as i thought bigger head =bigger bolt,not always the case.
    peugeot wanted $3.80 each for them[6] and i got two sets[12] with washers and some nylocks for another thing for $11.00 all up thats 2 sets of six bolts and 12 washers and 4 nylocks so thats preety fair.
    if ya need a new set the sizes are
    back subframe bolts quantity [4]- 2 sets of 2--- sizes 10 by 1.5 by 60
    side subframe bolts quan [2] 1 each side---sizes 10 by 1.5 by 50
    i got them at coventry fasteners victoria cres abbotsford. they quote alot higher prices in small quantities so youre actually better off buying a spare set.-BAZZ

Good news! During my rebuild my mechanic gave me this tip so you can thank him. I remember he sent me down to the bolt place with a list of bit's and pieces to get, High Tensile this, nyloc that, split wahsers blah blah. I remember going and thinking "crap what is this gonna cost me" as I only $50 on me, left with a fairly large collection of stuff and it cost like $18 or something, I actually asked the guy to repeat it cause I thought I'd misheard him . It's nice to get surprises like this now and again. I always buy double, if nothing else you end up with a nice collection of spare fasteners that can be used for other things.
    Regards,
    Matt
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio

if possible i always buy two sets of everything spare ,its the old rodie in me,spares of everythig just in case,as you said if you dont use them then you always have spares that can be used for other things.and its always a pain buying just the right amount to find one brakes or you loose a nut or something,thanks see yas-BAZZ

Thread Information