205 Gti Clutch Questions
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 205 Gti Clutch Questions

Looking to get a new clutch for the 88 and have been quoted $330 for a Valeo brand or $230 for a Q&H brand one. Has anybody ever used a Q&H ?

Apparently Q&H [Quintain and Hazel ] are made in the UK

Anybody? cheers jr

Advertisement
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

....there is DAIKIN as well.......Thats what I bought for my pug...I think they r a pretty good clutch but I paid trade price for mine......QH shouldn t be to bad either......but if you don t mind the extra for the Valeo thats what I d be recomending......the reason I chose Daikin is price and I m a real clutch destroyer so no matter which brand I was to get, it wouldn t last long with me....same goes for brake pads.....so I don t have issues using FERADO instead of BENDIX.....

cheers

dino

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    I m a real clutch destroyer so no matter which brand I was to get, it wouldn t last long with me
    How long do you get out of a clutch? Just curious.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow Frogger!

do yourself a favour and buy the valeo,the quality is spot on,205 clutchs are not that easy so i wouldnt want to do one any sooner than needed.

I was quoted 250 at auto france in artarmon for a recond peugeot one. Apparently 205 clutches cause there are so many are now all becoming reconed. I had a look at it and to be honest they are basically brand new. They are sent to france to be done over there. Thats what the guy there said to me his words not mine.

Cam

I reckon go with the valeo
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

With my golf...It lasted just under a year.....
    With the volvo....which was fitted by previous owner(three months before I bought the car) I just got another 7 months before it started sliping again....
    The pug (205gti) was changed about a year before I got the car (according to receipt) and it hasn t lasted more than two years.....and thats with a car that I was driving 20% of the time during the years......
    My 306 s16.....which I ve had for less than a year....is already showing signs of slippage........
    So while I try and look after my cars mechanically (ie regular servicing)...I do enjoy the occasionall "thrash" and "burn".......I managed to go through 2 sets of pierellis in the two years with the pug.......
    MY current merc 280s.....which had its pads changed last year....needed new ones last week (sub$50 bendix advance which I fitted in less than 40 min)....
    Yeah.....for road cars......I m pretty abusive....

cheers

dino

Quote Originally Posted by dino

With my golf...It lasted just under a year.....
    With the volvo....which was fitted by previous owner(three months before I bought the car) I just got another 7 months before it started sliping again....
    The pug (205gti) was changed about a year before I got the car (according to receipt) and it hasn t lasted more than two years.....and thats with a car that I was driving 20% of the time during the years......
    My 306 s16.....which I ve had for less than a year....is already showing signs of slippage........
    So while I try and look after my cars mechanically (ie regular servicing)...I do enjoy the occasionall "thrash" and "burn".......I managed to go through 2 sets of pierellis in the two years with the pug.......
    MY current merc 280s.....which had its pads changed last year....needed new ones last week (sub$50 bendix advance which I fitted in less than 40 min)....
    Yeah.....for road cars......I m pretty abusive....

cheers

dino

Jeez remind me never to let you borrow my car. I don't see how hard driving can degrade a clutch that badly, sounds to me like you may have some fundamental driving issues, no offence intended. Do you do track days?

I changed the fisrt clutch on my 205 at 120k's and it still had life in it. This after 7 years of sprints and hillclimbs on top of stop start city driving. Unless you're in the habit of side-stepping the clutch at every launch sounds like an improved tecnique might save you some money, if that important to you.
    Regards,
    Matt
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio

sounds to me like you may have some fundamental driving issues,

hehehhehe

........like I said.....just very abusive at times.......esp. when driving pugs......I d say there wouldn t be a day that goes past where I wouldn t try and burn some rubber.....a standard clutch can only take so much.....the same goes for brakes...
    My normal parking procedure coming to work (a large and usually empty car park behind mentone autobarn) in the pug......is a fast enough entry followed by a short slide and then simply back up a metre or so aginst the curb (perpendicular to curb).....leaving work usually means at least 4500rpm and side step (for a microsecond or so).......but geeez its fun.....sure we are not talking 1 minute falcon burnouts......nevertheless abusive enough....

I rented a falcon a few years back (had something like 50 km on the clock, ie brand new)...two days later there was literally no tread left on rear tyres (1/2 at least)......but thats what you get doing burnout "signatures" in shopping center carparks......DINO is quite nice and easy to do with a rear wheel driver.....

cheers

dino

PS....either way...anybody who thinks doing burnouts in an orange 244dl and digging up the roads from burwood to st albans is cool should have seen a shrink a long long time ago.....
    Last edited by dino; 7th October 2004 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Information