205 wont start help!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 wont start help!!!

my 87 205gti wont go! has happened twice before but on each of those occations the problem has fixed itself overnight but not this time. would not fire last night. and still wont go today. what can i look for that might help me to get it going? i stuck at the gf's house that would be fine but i have rn out of clothes! it cranks over no worries but has not fired once. in the past if it fires once it will start on next, or worst case the try after that, on the key. all help apreciated as i would like to get the thing going. i will try the racv but i tried before and couldn't get through! besides i would rather fix it myself

Advertisement

...where is the car now????what suburb???

cheers

dino

...have you tryed pushstarting it?

dino

the car and me are in abotsford. i ended up geting it going yesterday. i fiddled around with the injector leads and the coil and distributor and then it started the only problem is not knowing if it will start when i next get in the car when i get some parts together i will get i running properly again. needs new afm (or at least recalibrating) and i ain't got the $$ at the moment. had some fun once i got it going yesterday though. went for a spin on studly pk blv. mmmm nice! i will be back on here later today if it is being tempremental again. no i have not tried to roll start it but i don't think it would help as it cranks over no worries.

I had a similar problem, intermittent no start, and it was the wire from the dizzy to the iginition module.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Same thing happens to my 205, you jiggle the wire inbetween the dizzy and the loom going into the ignition module and it kicks over.
    Parry,
    Did you just get the wire replaced?
    cheers
    jamin

the reason I mentioned pushstarting is that when I had troubles with my fuel relay on a few occasions when it wouldn t start in neutral I menaged to get it going by starting in gear...go figure
    R u sure your afm is faulty.....? I reckon its more than likely not....I d check all the connectors, dist cap, clean out the idle screw (on throtle body),...I suspect your fuel relay is playing up......One thing I can recomend to all 205 owners is to go through all the electrical connectors under the bonnet and make sure they are all "clean" and fit firmly(with all clips in place).....

cheers

dino

Yes replaced the wire from another 205 and its solved the problem. I still need to get a new one, but need to order it from Peugeot direct. Since it is a race car and next event is at the end of october there is no rush.

I replaced the ignition module ($200) and also the coil before even thinking about that wire.

The wire is very fragile and it is important the shielding on it is intact as it carries very low voltage and cannot afford any induced noise to interfere with th pulse generated from the dizzy.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jamin
    Same thing happens to my 205, you jiggle the wire inbetween the dizzy and the loom going into the ignition module and it kicks over.
    Parry,
    Did you just get the wire replaced?
    cheers
    jamin
    sorry guys, i know most mechanical stuff but still trying to get me head around the electricals. where exactly do i find this wire

no did not get the wire replaced. but my troubles started the time before the last service. they probaly fiddled with something ovr there heads the car came away a hell of a lot worse than it was when it went in last service was at auto paris in box hill and they said that the afm either needed recalibrating or replacing. and that they would't be able to tell until they got it out. did't get this done however as it would have been silly to fix the afm and leave the rest of the fuel system untouched. so i waiting for the money. can't wait to get my babby purrrring again!

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    sorry guys, i know most mechanical stuff but still trying to get me head around the electricals. where exactly do i find this wire

no did not get the wire replaced. but my troubles started the time before the last service. they probaly fiddled with something ovr there heads the car came away a hell of a lot worse than it was when it went in last service was at auto paris in box hill and they said that the afm either needed recalibrating or replacing. and that they would't be able to tell until they got it out. did't get this done however as it would have been silly to fix the afm and leave the rest of the fuel system untouched. so i waiting for the money. can't wait to get my babby purrrring again!
    With mine it's the wire that connects directly onto the distributor(it should split into 2) It's goes over towards the coil and dissapears into the loom.
    Mine has a plastic connectors about half way along, must be a fuse or something along those lines. Jiggle it from side to side (gently) and then it will kick over (this is what happens to mine anyway).
    Cheers
    Jamin

Whats wrong with the Air flow meter?
    Occasionally these can jam open. Give it a whack, and listen for the flap closing. Probably won't be that though.
    Have you pulled a spark plug lead off, held it just next to a metal thing and had a look if it sparx as you turn it over?
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Occasionally these can jam open. Give it a whack, and listen for the flap closing. Probably won't be that though.
    Have you pulled a spark plug lead off, held it just next to a metal thing and had a look if it sparx as you turn it over?
    Maybe this is a sign Andrew that you should be riding your bike more!
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    Maybe this is a sign Andrew that you should be riding your bike more!
    probably should be riding more. but i flat out at the mo with uni and stuff. car seems to be running ok again. still don't start perfect but is not too bad. once i get a bit more organised with the spares i now have in my posetion after the perchace of my 2nd 205gti i will get the thing up and running on song again. not wrecking one building two i will get back on the bike and come and join you guys again some time soon. but uni has just gone grazy so it might not be until i finish for the year in another month.

it starts! first try every try. thanks to Danny at Auto Parise problem was puel pump and the little rubber seel it sits in inside the tank. apparently it was only holding 2.5 bar while running (not a big problem as it is ment to be 3 bar) but once the car was turned off it was dropping down to 0.5 bar hence very hard, or at times no start. still need the afm to be fixed. but once that is done my little buby will be purrrrin
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Thread Information