205 suspension setup
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 suspension setup

Just wondering:
    1)What the best suspension setup is for my 205 and
    2) the best ($) place to buy it.

Advertisement

I've heard people mention Koni yellows with eibach springs but I was just wondering what everyone else was running, especially performance-wise. I want to drop the car a bit too if that makes a difference (not too much, still want to be able to play with it on a track etc in the future).
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    Just wondering:

I've heard people mention Koni yellows with eibach springs but I was just wondering what everyone else was running, especially performance-wise. I want to drop the car a bit too if that
    makes a difference (not too much, still want to be able to play with it on a track etc in the future).

it sounds like you want the yellow or orange koni adjustables[about $780 for yellow for the front]if you want to adjust the shocks for track day.
    the eibach springs will lower the car about 35mm and are about $360.
    with that said i will quote something somebody once said regarding the 205 gti suspension ,that peugeot went to alot of effort to get the set up right in the first place why would you want to play with it .but hey i know these things are personal.
    i have just put new standard shocks and mounts in my car,i will let you drive it if you want to see what it would be like with the standard setup in near new condition[still need new ball joints for complete job.]
    it cost about $370 odd for each side for suspension[shocks, mounts,bump stops,shock boot]
    for standard set up , plus control arm bushes and ball joints if they need replacment.
    ring me on 0418126691 or text me -BAZZ

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'll just move this from parts for sale into the performance section as it is more suited there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

when you say "best"..... what for what application?

track, drag, road, offroad, rally, other?

Each setup is a compromise. If you are after a quick race setup for club events drop Parry a PM. His pug is seriously quick, and most of it is due to suspension.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Just wondering:

I've heard people mention Koni yellows with eibach springs but I was just wondering what everyone else was running, especially performance-wise. I want to drop the car a bit too if that makes a difference (not too much, still want to be able to play with it on a track etc in the future).

get in touch with Ray Bell if you want to get koni's at the right price as many people have gone through him for these shocks and found that the prices he can deliver them for are a lot better than you can find elsewhere
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Sorry I should have specified what I meant by 'best'. At the moment the car will be used as an almost daily driver, but once I get some experience up I'm planning on doing some hillclimbs and maybe tarmac rallies. So I guess 'sporty street' is the correct lingo?

re: Ray Bell
    Is it going to be a problem that I'm in Melbourne to get the shocks through Ray?
    Series 1 205 Gti

re: Ray Bell
    Is it going to be a problem that I'm in Melbourne to get the shocks through Ray?

i doubt it

give him a yell and see what he can offer you
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Rob,

Our 205 race car is setup purely for track thus is almost impossible to drive on the street, the suspension is rock hard.

But for your information I am running Koni yellow adjustables(from Ray), 23mm rear torsion bar, lowered all round by 60mm ( cant go any lower ), solid bushes in the rear end and am running 250lb front springs. oh and I have recently added 309 wishbones on thefront which game some neg camber.

My plans are to add front coilovers and a ARB at the rear (money and availabilty permitted).

For a good comprimise street/track my suggestion will be to get koni yellow adjustables, make sure they are externally adjustable, I made the mistake of not getting them. Lower the car by a max of 45mm. If you can find an ARB then grap that for the rear, I have yet been able to find one in the UK or AUS.

This will firm up your ride but it is livable, also get some sticky tires on a spare set of rims for the track days/ hillclimbs.

Cheers
    Parry
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

$550 a pair is still my price for the externally adjustable fronts... it's all on this thread:

Koni Yellow Shocs

what Parry ommitted to mention that his kit also forgoes the rear torsion bar bushes for alloy spacers what makes his car transfer ALL road bumps etc.

If you plan to club compete invest some money in aftermarket bushes for all suspension control points, possibly camber bolts (although according to some they will cause premature wear out of the shocks due to non-linear compression). And get a second set of wheels and fit some R-spec rubber like A032R yokies or Toyo RA1 or similar.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

sent you a pm ray
    Series 1 205 Gti

Thread Information