RSC starting issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon1 RSC starting issues

My Clio Sport had become very reluctant to start, especially from cold. It also stalled quite regularly. A new TDC sensor (crankshaft position sensor) was fitted under warranty, and cured the stalling. The car still will not start first turn of the key from cold, but always starts on the second turn. It also suffers from a hesitant throttle until warm - not what we've come to expect from electronic engine management! Anyone else experieced these issues?

Advertisement

Nole.

I've read on cliosport.net that you need to leave the key in the on position untill the lights in the dash turn off. then it should start first go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nole
    My Clio Sport had become very reluctant to start, especially from cold. It also stalled quite regularly. A new TDC sensor (crankshaft position sensor) was fitted under warranty, and cured the stalling. The car still will not start first turn of the key from cold, but always starts on the second turn. It also suffers from a hesitant throttle until warm - not what we've come to expect from electronic engine management! Anyone else experieced these issues?

Nole.
    Nole is you clio a Mk1 or Mk2?? I had a Mk1 and never had a problem. It seems to plague the Mk2's and can be fixed with your method of starting. Do not jump in and turn the key straight to start. Turn the key and wait until you hear the electric fuel pump engage (accesory position from memory) this takes about two seconds then turn to start. It should start first time. the other thing I recommend is running BP Ultimate 98 octane fuel. This procedure coupled with good fuel should assist you.

Good Luck, Trent (ex Mk1 owner, now 205 GTI owner)

this is a pretty common problem with the clio, mine does it sometimes too.

check out... www.ozrenaultsport.com for all your renault; sport questions and information

Tadpole

Thanks; I'll try that starting procedure. I already run 98 octane fuel, either BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax, which appear to be the only ones available in Qld. I think Mobil has a 98 octane fuel in Victoria, but haven't seen it here.

Nole.

XTC

May have something to do with making sure everything is primed up (so to speak), if I stick the key in my 206 and turn all in one action, sometimes it doesn't like it. If I put the key, wait 1 second (you can hear the pump going) then turn, it never misses a beat.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

JO3
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Nole
    It also suffers from a hesitant throttle until warm - not what we've come to expect from electronic engine management! Anyone else experieced these issues?

Nole.
    i experience the same thing from my car...
    is this normal??
    and how many of u guys with rsc has an exhaust that puffs every now and then??

my exhaust puffs abit...

and the throttle and starting issues i also get.

i find if parked on a hill the starting issues are worse.

1000+ Posts

Its an un-documented feature...
    "starts second time everytime"

even with the priming mine still does it, but never ever fails the 2nd time!
    Bit rough in the morns cause it runs lean, but a slight blip on the noise pedal fixes that straight away

Thread Information