Converting Std 2ltr to 180 engine
  • Register
  • Help

Default Converting Std 2ltr to 180 engine

Hi all,

Heard that the gti180 engine is kinda similar to the std gti 206.
    With that in mind, how easy would it be to convert the std 138 engine to a gti 180 engine? new head etc? and has it been done before?

Thanks all!
    Tim

Advertisement

just buy a 180, how much easier would that be. its the same car... and then there is all the little upgrades it has like the suspension and gearbox, blah blah.
    by the time u change bits and pieces (u would need the ECU, i think), it would be easier.

but then u may not like any of those things, and if your like me u have an attachment to urs. engine transplant might be easiest. depends if u r a mechanic, im not!

most (if not all, age dependant) Peugeot - Citroen are modular, just remeber its a massive company, having to manufacture lots of little different pieces is too . this engine has been around for donkeys, the engine codes tell u that. Mi16 to S16, S16 to GTi6, GTi6 to 180. in peugeot talk. it can be done if you have the cash and time. u can transfer heaps of stuff if u can be arsed...
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Another valid option instead of getting the 180 head, electronics etc etc (which I would think to be prohibitive in cost) would be to get the longman quad throttle body kit fitted instead.

It's claimed to give 190bhp to a standard GTI for about $8k I think. Autoparis I know can do the conversion if your interested.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by nggy
    Hi all,
    Heard that the gti180 engine is kinda similar to the std gti 206.
    With that in mind, how easy would it be to convert the std 138 engine to a gti 180 engine? new head etc? and has it been done before?
    Thanks all! Tim
    Unless you got a front cut, with engine, wiring, ECU, BSI etc etc it's not worth it. Plus 180 has ESP, not sure how the 138 would handle that (i.e. is the rest of the system there ??)

As mentioned .. the Longman Kit is the way to go IF you have that kinda money ... and has bags more torque then a 180 anyway.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Another valid option instead of getting the 180 head, electronics etc etc (which I would think to be prohibitive in cost) would be to get the longman quad throttle body kit fitted instead.

It's claimed to give 190bhp to a standard GTI for about $8k I think. Autoparis I know can do the conversion if your interested.
    They certainly can do it and would be a bloody site cheaper than the 180 upgrade. They also have them for Mi's now too. Apparebtly the emissions are less with them too.
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Unless you got a front cut, with engine, wiring, ECU, BSI etc etc it's not worth it. Plus 180 has ESP, not sure how the 138 would handle that (i.e. is the rest of the system there ??)

As mentioned .. the Longman Kit is the way to go IF you have that kinda money ... and has bags more torque then a 180 anyway.

- XTC -
    erm actually i drive a 307 xsi.
    but i heard that the engine is the same as the 206.

not looking to change to a 206 180 nor a 306 (ive previously owned a 306)
    I just want a little more go but still have the luxury of a bigger car.

btw sorry for being niave, but whats the quad throttle body conversion and how does it acheive such power gains.

Thanks again,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    When doin this kit which does up the power of a STD GTi137, what else would need to be done ie. would the gearbox handle it or would there be some strengthening of the gearbox required?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by choiboi
    When doin this kit which does up the power of a STD GTi137, what else would need to be done ie. would the gearbox handle it or would there be some strengthening of the gearbox required?
    Not required .... people also do exhaust at the same time, but that's about it.

Search for longman on AF and you'll find other threads on it too.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thread Information