BX 16V Mufflers?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default BX 16V Mufflers?

Any advice on wether to replace the stock rear muffler with the standard item or something aftermarket?

Chris.

Advertisement

Find a muffler shop that sells "Walker" mufflers and you'll buy a genuine part at an aftermarket price.
    I have a straight through om mine in the centre with a baffled at the rear that works well, but I have reservations that any advantages are worth the drama of fitting.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dunham
    Any advice on wether to replace the stock rear muffler with the standard item or something aftermarket?

Chris.

Hey Chris, hows things? Try these guys, they do a lot of European stuff & have mentioned Citroen in their advertising in the past. Good luck!

PERTH EXHAUST CENTRES PTY LTD

107 Albany Hwy Victoria Park 6100
    (08) 9361 3363
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dunham

Chris.
    Hi Chris

I've been happy with the work that Perth Exhaust have done and their prices aren't too bad either. They know about French cars.

Personally, I'd fit the standard rear muffler (my 16 valve has a walker rear muffler which lets enough noise out for me) and use the $$$ save by NOT buying an aftermarket muffler on a replacement catalytic converter for $450 fitted - Perth Exhaust cut out the old one and weld in a good quality aftermarket unit.
    This is well worth doing, especially if the cat has never been replaced. The aftermarket OEM style replacement part - $1300 odd.

Sadly, they seem reluctant to get involved in fitting high flow/performance cats.

I've just replaced the holey centre muffler ($200 fitted) and the resulting back pressure caused the exhaust to blow at the manifold ( it has a knackered flexible fitting with a couple of bolts, springs and nuts holding it together.

To check this, if you grab the front down pipe underneath the car, (when cold would be best...:-) and if it moves when you push it up then you might have this problem. The other clue is the racket of course.

I've used a couple of washers to retension the springs and take out the slack in the joint but I'm not convinced it will last. I'll get the parts later...

Thread Information