BX 16V Gearbox advise
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default BX 16V Gearbox advise

The box on my BX 16V was pretty notchy and slow to move through each gate. After dumping the g/box oil which looked to be about 20 weight (very thin, perhaps a synthetic) and putting in a 70/80 with nulon G70 the box is now nice to use when warmed up but a real pain to get into second in particular when cold. Any sugestions and or ideas greatfully received.

Advertisement

Chris.

Chris,

I use Castrol VMX80 as these gearboxes seem to be extremely critical about what goes in them.
    According to Castrol, this rating covers wide temperature ranges and cold changing is specifically mentioned.
    It could be of course that the second gear synchro is slow although I would suggest you take a look at the linkages as we've found that with a bit of age, the linkages tend to get a bit notchy. I adjust mine so they are sitting flush on the top of the ball when I put into their respective gears otherwise they can bind and on occasions even pop off.
    I have also found, as have others, that if the gearbox is used with the 80 grade oil and the G70 in it, that after a few miles, if it is again dropped out and changed complete with another dose of G70 that this too can give a massive improvement in gearchanges as it seems to flush a lot of garbage out of the box.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Alan, Will dump the gearbox oil and refill with VMX80 and another shot of G70 and see how that goes.

Cheers,

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dunham
    Thanks Alan, Will dump the gearbox oil and refill with VMX80 and another shot of G70 and see how that goes.

Cheers,

Chris.
    selector rod(s) lengths might need adjusting

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Peter & Alan,

The g/box oil came out clean as a whistle, replaced it but still notchy when cold.

Took a close look at the linkages which looked and felt in good order. Is there a formula for setting up the lengths of the gearchange linkages?

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

Before you get into the nitty gritty of this, are you sure that the clutch adjustment is right and allowing the clutch to fully disengage?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Alan,

Thanks, yes - first thing I did. Wish that had been it.

Regards,

Chris.

Default Mi16 thte same

Chris,
    the symptoms you descibe are simmilar to my S2 Mi16 ( XU10J4/BE3) - hard to get into 2nd without cruching when cold - the other gears when hot and cold and 2nd once warmed up are good with no sign of baulking or crunching...
    Mine had had a bodgie clutch job done when I got it so I assumed that the oil was not right - changed it to Valvoline Duragear 76-90 which did not seem to make a lot difference.. After having the gearbox out to fix a rather large hole betweeen the diff and the clutch ( another story ) I am now using Shell SyntheticGear 75-90 with G70 and it has improved but the first shift into 2nd in the morning is still often almost impossible to do without crunching....

Fortunately I have a 150 Metre downhill driveway so I can start in 2nd and do not need to get into first for at least 8Km. by then its OK for the rest of the day....

I recently purchased some Penrite Transaxle oil which specificaly mentions Puegeot Transaxles so I plan to try that next although it is listed as 80-90 rather than the speicfied 75-80 which I have had trouble finding here in Gippsland.

So any solutions you find I will be very happy to hear about and try..

Cheers
    Last edited by trevh; 26th September 2004 at 01:21 AM.
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Fellow Frogger!

Trevh,

You have pretty much described my gearbox - notchy in second when cold and fine all around when hot.

I'm tempted to try ATF (automatic transmission fluid) with a shot of G70. This is a combination I've used in Citroen GS transaxels with good results.

Will let you know, have to check all those linkage lengths first but don't really think the linkages have much to do with it.

Regards,

Chris.

Thread Information