504 Extra Filter / Oil Storage ???
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 Extra Filter / Oil Storage ???

Hi all,

I have this stainless steel cylinder bolted to left hand wheel arch in my 504. Has one rubber hose from sump and second hose tapped into oil filter support/body. The lid screws off but I can't see any additional filter device inside or if there is how you would remove it to clean it. Is it just to have extra oil circulating in the system. Any body seen one before and could help with what it is supposed to be doing?

Advertisement

Peter J.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 Extra Filter / Oil Storage ???-test-005.jpg  
    PJ

It looks to me to be the type of external filter that takes a loo roll as the filter element. The whole stainless top comes off to remove the roll. These things are very efficient when fitted with the right sort of roll.

my 1st reaction was that its a PCV catch tank. But I am a bit confused why it connects to the oil filter housing.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

These filters were a bypass type filter meaning they pick up oil from the main oil gallery (filter housing in this case), filter it and return it direct to the sump. It's normaly only a low flow rate so the oil pressure is not affected. Fram filters was one particular brand I have seen,
    LynCliff

Icon12 extra filter

Might be that a prior owner bolted a turbo on and at the time it came to sell they removed the turbo leaving two holes one in the sump and one from the filter outlet. So they pluged it by placing what was the filter for the turbo and line between the two!???? Dont know why else that would be there??

Als

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlsPug504
    Might be that a prior owner bolted a turbo on and at the time it came to sell they removed the turbo leaving two holes one in the sump and one from the filter outlet. So they pluged it by placing what was the filter for the turbo and line between the two!???? Dont know why else that would be there??

Als

the toilet roll type filters were fairly common back in the 70's and a lot of taxi's and trucks used to run them

i doubt that it was for a turbo
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quite a few people used them including the miltary (RAAF), they kept the oil cleaner a lot longer and would actualy remove moisture from the oil which normal filters dont do,
    LynCliff

My memory must be a bit clogged up for it was actualy Franz filters that made them, try this link,
    http://home.earthlink.net/~goodspeeds/NITYGRIT.HTM
    LynCliff

Thanks all,

I think you're on the money Lyncliff. The website you attached sounds exactly like it. Think I might remove it ... if I can find a way to plug the holes in the sump and oil filter mounting.

Peter J.
    PJ

Thread Information