loose sway bar bolts 205
  • Register
  • Help

Default loose sway bar bolts 205

the bolts that hold the sway bar at the back under the car near the rubber bushes keep coming loose,ive taken it to numerous mechanix to find a the strange problems in the steering after renewing all of the front suspension and steering .
    nobody looked at these bolts ,but when i had it up on the hoist decided to check the whole steering set up and found that these bolts were loose.[amazing isnt it that i found the problem after trained mechanics couldnt]after tightening twice they keep coming loose.the third time with loctite and they still come loose .i feel like welding them up but wont due to maybe needing access to the sway bar in the future.
    could it be that i need to renew the nuts and bolts ,these bolts play a very important role as they are the only rear support to the steering and suspension.when the bolts become loose it throws the whole steering geometery out and makes for a generaly awful driving experience.
    thank you for your time-BAZZ 1987 205 GTI

Advertisement

UPDATE
    ok ,i ended up fixing the problem temporerly.
    i took out the mounting brackets that sit on top of the rubber bearings on the sway bar and noticed that they had been heli-coiled before and that they were coming loose and generally looked knackered also the bolts that go into the brackets have stretched so that the thread at one end is almost twice the size of the thread at the other.
    i have locktited the helis back in and have used longer bolts that protrued through the bracket and have put nuts on the ends on top of the brackets .
    this is just temporary as i have ordered new brackets and bolts from peugeot that have to come from france. they are $47 a side including bolts .the problem with the temp set up is the brackets are aluminium and i can see the nuts i have put on the top of the bracket eventually chewing into the aluminium.even though they have washers the aluminium is pretty soft.
    when the bolts come loose you can feel play in the steering as they help hold the steering in place properly.when they are tight its such a difference you wouldnt beleive its the same car.
    -BAZZ

Thread Information