Rattling at 3200rpm in GTi 180
  • Register
  • Help

Icon8 Rattling at 3200rpm in GTi 180

I'm getting a rattling noise at around 3200rpm and have no idea what it could be. I've taken the Cylinder head's plastic cover off and tested it and the noise is still there. I've taken it to the dealer twice and both times they said that what they'd done fixed it but I heard it both times soon after driving away. Does anyone else have any suggestions to what it could be or are having the problem ? Any help would be most appreciated.

Advertisement
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180

U sure you're not driving a RSC dude?? Sorry just had to say that... Have no idea myself what it could be though
    JoJo

Oh man, I took my RSC back to get a rattle fixed, and drove it away with the same rattle happening and a new one even worse!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Rattles are always a pain to find, and the dealers don't actually have to fix them under warranty... so it's more of a service than a right. Read your warranty if you don't believe me.
    Don't know where you got that idea from, cause they are a warrenty issue, they just don't like to admit it (some need to be taken to task more then others).

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

It's an engine rattling noise I think and it's been happening since the first day I bought the car. It was 8k on clock and now it's around 500k so It can't be put down as wear and tear. You can only really hear it when the windows are up and the aircon and radio are off. It's not a huge issue but it is very annoying since it's been happening from the day I bought the car
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180

1000+ Posts

Sounds like the 4k rattle most RSC's have!
    in the RSC its the Catalytic converter crapping itself & falling to pieces inside...

Dunno how you can check though? :|

The EW engines wouldn't happen to be chain driven would they?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

from just about day one i have had a rattle in the 306 and it was taken back so many times to get it rectified as it was under warranty and it was to be fixed under warranty

in the end the car ran out of warranty and the rattle was still there

it is the centre muffler in mine that is rattling and after the warranty had run out they siad they have found the rattle but it will now cost me to get it fixed but at a reduced cost due to the rattle bieng there through the warranty period

so yet rattles are to be fixed under warranty so keep on them about it as you never know what it really is untill they find it

it could be something very minor but on the other hand it may not be

now with the muffler they were going to charge me $180 for a new one fitted but i will get around to getting an aftermarket one fitted for less than 1/2 that price that will be as good as the original

the rattle is ony there at certain rpm's so i'm not too worried about it but it just got up my goat that the dealer fobbed me off time after time telling me stories as to what it was untill the warranty period ran out and that it was then going to cost me to get it fixed

i also knew a bloke once that bought a new samara that had a rattle in it and it was the rear muffler hitting the car at certain revs that was fixed ASAP by the dealer and it was never a problem again after that
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by Griff180
    I'm getting a rattling noise at around 3200rpm and have no idea what it could be. I've taken the Cylinder head's plastic cover off and tested it and the noise is still there. I've taken it to the dealer twice and both times they said that what they'd done fixed it but I heard it both times soon after driving away. Does anyone else have any suggestions to what it could be or are having the problem ? Any help would be most appreciated. : mallet:

just be glad you dont own a 205 if you dont like rattles,
    that said after getting new front shocks and mounts its takin alot of rattles out.but they still tich you off especially the dash.i know some people that actually sold their 2002 206 cause of the rattles when getting up speed and sitting on 100k on the freeway.
    -bazz

I hope this is not going to sound really obviouse or dumb, but a useful technique to diagnose rattles is to actually imagine what it is that is making the noise. as every substence has its own peculiar overtones.
    (eg .Drop a ten cent coin on bathroom tiles , then drop a dollar coin.)
    imagine how big, how thick, how heavy ,how free.
    Imagine what it is made from, plastic ,steel, alloy,high/low tensile, rubber ,ceramic etc.
    Is it rattling through sympathetic resination or is it being hit or vibrated by a third party? Is it cracked or damaged(like a cracked tea cup)
    Armed with a hunch , and a listening device made of a piece of clean tube with a funnel on one end (dont stick the tube in you ear unless you want trouble,put you ear to the CLEAN funnel), I've been able to pin point most every rattle i've come across, even when I dont know what is inside a component. Logic will tell you that the BIG flappy sound aint coming from that little component.
    I run a small recording facility and have spend days with a sweepable sine wave generator conected to a kick arse sound system , just to try and introduce rattles in the architecture so I can interupt them(with liquid nails and tech screws).That way when I'm recording and I do detect rattles, I can be more sure that they are coming from the music stands, microphone stands,the microphones caseing, drum kit, even peoples jewlery and clothing!!!
    when my car rattles, its annoying. When anything in my studio rattles, its fatal.You can just about throw out that recording.
    There is also the high possibility that the tech working on you car is actually a rather deaf in the high freq'. and that he cant actually hear the rattle ,let alone find it. obviosly it annoys the hell out of you so that makes You the best person to find it ,or at least narrow down a few possibilities.
    happy listening/driving, Jo

Can you describe the rattle some more? Under partial throttle at 3200? Holding revs/No throttle? Sounds exhaust related to me.

Mostly just hear it when cruising. If it's revving hard you can still hear it but only for a second while it's whizzing past the 3000-3300rpm mark.
    The noise is like a crackling/rattling sound.
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180

sounds like a loose exhaust mount to me...

Fellow Frogger!

this may not help but i read somehwere that the exhaust manifold has a divider inside to branchs that works loose and rattles,sound like a loose cat or resonator which is common as well.only way to tell is remove the manifold,yuk.not sure if this fit but check it out.

Thread Information