Mi16 Engine/Coolant Temps
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16 Engine/Coolant Temps

Howdy Guys,
    I am having a bit of trouble with temps. I do a fair bit of inter-city driving in brisbane and as everyone knows, this can get pretty bad. Regulary my oil temp will get to 110 and water to 90. They dont go above this point, but that dosnt make me not scared. It seems that the oil is always about 20C above the water temp. Futher more the oil temp takes about half an hour of highway drving to get down to about 90 again. The radiator fans seem to work, but only kick in about the 90C mark (from reading i think this is right), but one is slower than the other. Any advice would be great cause I want the pug to last in the hot hot sun of queensland. I am considering getting an oil cooler and baffled sump, for future possible track/moutain days, can anyone give me some good advice like price, installation etc.

Advertisement

Thanks heaps again guys
    Owen

1000+ Posts

If you think about it, your oil touches hotter bits than water and then circulates back through - like the backs of the pistons, the valve stems etc. - so it's logical that it runs hotter. Plus it's not cooled as thoroughly. I've only had my Mi a few weeks, but mine runs on about 88-90 degrees (water) and, once warmed fully, the oil is 90+ like yours.

Stuey

During WINTER my BX16V sits at around 90c (water) and 100c (oil) all day. When i sit in traffic the temp can rise above 90 quite easily and if you give it a bit of a thrash the tmp gets hot very quick! Usually some constant steady highway driving and the oil temp drops really low, down to about 80 i guess by looking at the gauge and the water also drops belo 90 as well. Last summer was a nightmare for me, the summer heat and traffic werent a good mix.

No need to stress, seems like you PUG is all good, unless someone can correct me.....
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Cal

Those temps sound fine to me. I also do most of my driving in traffic around Brisbane. Have done for about 4 years. An oil cooler would definately be a good idea for the track. My oil got to 120 pretty quickly at Morgan Park. It seems a baffled sump is a must too.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Hi SmothePeanut,

Im from Malaysia and drive a citroen ZX 16V....my water temp usually stays about 85 degrees C and my oil temp about 85 to 90 as well....when i drive in mid afternoon the water temp indicates about 90 to 93 degreee C.....this is the normal temp range for the engine....maybe you got to check these parts whether it is ok:

1. check radiator fins whether they are clogged with leaves and road debris....this should be done by pulling the side tabs of the radiator bracket...your should be able to see the aircon condensor when done so...if there are a lot leaves and stuff get it cleaned throughly....you can definately notice your temp stays lower once you have done this

2. check with your thermostat is jammed or broken. Replace it with 78.5 degress thermostat...

3. check whether your water hoses a leaking somewhere. Bleed the cooling system via the bleed valves located on thermo housing, on top of the rocker cover and the water return pipe above the exhaust manifold

Hope this helps mate....

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Hi SmothePeanut,

Im from Malaysia and drive a citroen ZX 16V....my water temp usually stays about 85 degrees C and my oil temp about 85 to 90 as well....when i drive in mid afternoon the water temp indicates about 90 to 93 degreee C.....this is the normal temp range for the engine....maybe you got to check these parts whether it is ok:

1. check radiator fins whether they are clogged with leaves and road debris....this should be done by pulling the side tabs of the radiator bracket...your should be able to see the aircon condensor when done so...if there are a lot leaves and stuff get it cleaned throughly....you can definately notice your temp stays lower once you have done this

2. check with your thermostat is jammed or broken. Replace it with 78.5 degress thermostat...

3. check whether your water hoses are leaking somewhere. Bleed the cooling system via the bleed valves located on thermo housing, on top of the rocker cover and the water return pipe above the exhaust manifold

Hope this helps mate....

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Default Thanks for the advice

Cheers to all of you. I am getting a new thermo as we speak, but had trouble sourcing a 78C as suggested, but if it is still trouble they suggested that i can drill a hole in it. But we shall see. I will contact PeterT for a sump someday soon hopefully.

Be warned that using the lower temperature thermostat, the Motronic computer in the Mi16 will compensate for the lower temperature, and will assume that the engine is not up to operating temperature yet, and will therefore run richer, using more fuel.

better run a bit richer rather than getting a blown head gasket anyway the fuel enrichment only happens when the engine is operating from cold and it finally settles at its optimum operating temp...i have been using the 78.5 thermo for 1.5 years now and did not encounter so much fuel enrichment until it broke the bank....its virtually negligible....

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Default why lower the temp?

I question the need to reduce the thermostat temperature as suggested by senthill16V.

Surely peugeot thought far enough ahead when designing the cooling system of the car to accomodate far hotter places than Northern France for their cars. They were, after all the prime colonists of most of north africa! If thier engines were designed to run more efficiently at lower temperatures they would have fitted different thermostats....!

Petrol engines are thermal engines and rely on heat to run correctly. The thermostat on the engine keeps it hot and most engines will have the thermostat not fully open almost all the time. IE not all the cooling capacity ( assuming it is fully servicable ) is used most of the time. Try taking the thermostat out of the engine see how it runs...

To get rid on more heat the engine needs to get a bit hotter. This causes the thermostat to open further allowing more heat to be carried away from the engine in the greater coolant flow and also increases the temperature difference between the coolant and the outside so increasing the heat flow from the coolant to the outside. This is all normal.

One of the main functions ( after keeping the bearings apart ) of oil is to carry heat away from some very hot parts of the engine so when you drive harder you should expect that the oil will get hotter as it carries that heat away to the sump which is the mail oil cooler. Oil, especially synthetic, is capable of getting much hotter than water and I do not think you could even cook chips satisfactorily in oil at 120 degrees.... so it is nowhere near its limits at the temperatures you mention.

My S2 (XU10J4) Mi16 runs just as you say yours does, and others have already confirmed that this is normal. In fact mine only has one fan and has not been a problem in victorian summers. Just realise that if you did not have an oil temperature guage ( as most do not ) you would probably not have worried...

Cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Thread Information