Clio Sport brake upgrade
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Clio Sport brake upgrade

Since my Clio Sport is almost due for new front brake rotors, I'm looking to upgrade these. I'm after something suitable for a combination of road and track use. I'll probably do rears later if I find something suitable.

Any info on pad, fluid and brake line upgrades would also be helpful.

Advertisement

UK sites seem to have plenty of options (Tarox, etc), but I haven't found anything local.

Any suggestions?

Nole.

I actually find the standard brakes to be good enough, even for track use. I have found from experience that alot of "upgraded" brakes have inherent problems such as squealing and not working well when cold. That said it's a personal choice and I know alot of people have had good results with EBC products. For me it really comes down to how much track use. If this is limited to 2 or 3 Lap supersprints you may not get the heat into the brakes quick enough to have a performance advantage. If you are doing longer stints like open track days then there may be a benefit. Stainless brakelines are a good option if you have a soft pedal, they will not improve the perfomance of the brakes as such, just enhance pedal feel due to reduced brake line expansion.

The single most important thing to upgrade is the fluid, this is usually the weakest link in the standard system. Most commonly fade is caused by overheating brake fluid, upgrading pads/rotors can actually make this worse as more agressive materials will generate more heat thus overheating the fluid faster. I've used AP500 and Castrol SRF fluids both with outstanding results.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Matt, you're a driving instructor right? Do you do track days? Who do you instruct for, or do you do it privately?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by janus
    Hey Matt, you're a driving instructor right? Do you do track days? Who do you instruct for, or do you do it privately?

Cheers.
    I've been accused of worse , but yes it's true. I do freelance work for a few different places. The main days I do are for Events O'Neill unfortunately these days are by invitation only as they are booked out well in advance. We do these days in Sydney and Melbourne, I'd struggle to get anyone into the Sydney days, but I could organise a few spots for the Melbourne day in November.

I have mentioned a number fo times that if we can get enough Froggers to put on a day at EC or Wakefield I'll give my time free of charge, and can also organise a couple of other instructors to come along, they'll have to be paid though. A good start would be a skidpan/skid circuit day at EC, followed by a track day at Wakefield.
    Regards,
    Matt
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    The single most important thing to upgrade is the fluid, this is usually the weakest link in the standard system. Most commonly fade is caused by overheating brake fluid, upgrading pads/rotors can actually make this worse as more agressive materials will generate more heat thus overheating the fluid faster. I've used AP500 and Castrol SRF fluids both with outstanding results.
    how about stainless steel brake lines ? Will that help more than the fluid ???

I'm looking into getting the sparco rotor, discs and brake lines at the next rotor change...

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

I beleive many people driving the newer 'gti' type cars (S16, GTI6, 206gti, Clio Sport, Xsara VTR etc.) seem to go overboard in the brakes area, including myself. The Clio's use 283mm disks to stop a car which weights just over 1,000kg. Sure, if the car had 300hp and was maintaining much high speeds into the braking area there would be more issues. I firmly beleive you should upgrade in the following order, Good DOT4+ fluid (fully bled), front pads matched to the way you drive, front disks, rear pads, rear disks, braided lines, uprated calipers etc etc...you get the idea.

The reasons many have opted to go with the EBC or DBA rotors is that they cost the same, if not less then the OEM ones and invariably last longer. This is a double edged sword as the OEM's being softer also create more friction and hence stop better when compared to a smooth aftermarket rotor. The grooves and dimples on the EBC and DBA peg all of this loss back, plus some in lieu of wearing pads out quicker.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I beleive many people driving the newer 'gti' type cars (S16, GTI6, 206gti, Clio Sport, Xsara VTR etc.) seem to go overboard in the brakes area, including myself. The Clio's use 283mm disks to stop a car which weights just over 1,000kg. Sure, if the car had 300hp and was maintaining much high speeds into the braking area there would be more issues. I firmly beleive you should upgrade in the following order, Good DOT4+ fluid (fully bled), front pads matched to the way you drive, front disks, rear pads, rear disks, braided lines, uprated calipers etc etc...you get the idea.

The reasons many have opted to go with the EBC or DBA rotors is that they cost the same, if not less then the OEM ones and invariably last longer. This is a double edged sword as the OEM's being softer also create more friction and hence stop better when compared to a smooth aftermarket rotor. The grooves and dimples on the EBC and DBA peg all of this loss back, plus some in lieu of wearing pads out quicker.
    I think the OE brakes are good on the road, the issue lies on drive days that braking is more often than usual, usually by the end of the day the car suffers from a minor degree of brake fade.

It's interesting to compare how much does it shorten the pads' life by using slotted rotors, and how does the aftermarket pads + slotted rotors compare to OE in road conditions, since the temperature does not increase as quick comparing to track and drive days.

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    how about stainless steel brake lines ? Will that help more than the fluid ???

I'm looking into getting the sparco rotor, discs and brake lines at the next rotor change...

Jason
    As I said in my previous post the braided lines will not help any fade issues, just improve pedal feel.

I'm 100% with Brad on this subject, the Clio has some of the best brakes of ANY production car I've driven in terms of performance and resistance to fade. The main reason people deviate from standard is probably cost and the perception that an aftermarket "performance" product will be better. In some cases this maybe the case but it ultimately comes down to the type of driving you do.

The minor fade you are experiencing on track days will more than likely be solved by some quality brake fluid with a higher temp rating. Like I said I have had good results with AP500 and Castrol SRF.
    Regards,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    Like I said I have had good results with AP500 and Castrol SRF.
    Aren't these both DOT5 fluids which are not suiable for day-to-day use given they do not absorb water, causing pockets of compressable water/steam under heavy braking?

With Castrol DOT4+, EBC Greens and DBA slotted, I have driven down the back of Mt Glorious (very long steep fast tight corners with no let-off of brakes) with these and pushed the car and brakes as hard as I could to see if I could get them to fade and they didn't one bit. Granted the fluid was stuffed the next time I did this and they did fade (which was also after 2 track days), but on the day they were great. Just goes to show how important the cheapest part of the braking system is. $10 for a full flush.

I'm in the same boat of having to replace front discs soon. As has been said the stock items are pretty damn good. I wouldn't consider anything aftermarket in regards to 'hardware' other than the fluid, unless the car was seeing a lot of track work or as Brad said had a bit more power. Save your 'performance' dollars for track practice and rubber IMO.
    If all you have is a hammer, treat the world like a nail.

Ok I know nothing about brake fluid.

Whats the best to get for the Clio for everyday driving, ie Lasts a while. Brand and type ?

I think the place I get Elf oils from sell Elf brake fluid as well. Zat any good ?

10 bucks is that what a garage normally charges for a flush ?

Castrol Super DOT4+ (silver 500ml bottle) from Supercheap is about $10-13 depending on what weekend sale is on. This will be fine to just bleed through into the system. If you are not confident doing it yourself, it will probably take a mechanic 1/2 hour to do it.

If the oil has never been changed and you want to do it properly, it would be best to do a full flush whcih will require 1 and a bit bottles as the ABS uses a bit in it's valving. This is more complicated and would probably take an hour but will give best and longest lasting results. Supercheap sell a brake bleeding hose kit which works well and allows you to bleed the system yourself. It's abotu $26. If you do it yourself, make sure there is always fluid in the resivour as you DO NOT want any air getting into the lines. I did on my first attempt and it took ALOT of wasted fluid to clear out the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Castrol Super DOT4+ (silver 500ml bottle) from Supercheap is about $10-13 depending on what weekend sale is on. This will be fine to just bleed through into the system. If you are not confident doing it yourself, it will probably take a mechanic 1/2 hour to do it.

If the oil has never been changed and you want to do it properly, it would be best to do a full flush whcih will require 1 and a bit bottles as the ABS uses a bit in it's valving. This is more complicated and would probably take an hour but will give best and longest lasting results. Supercheap sell a brake bleeding hose kit which works well and allows you to bleed the system yourself. It's abotu $26. If you do it yourself, make sure there is always fluid in the resivour as you DO NOT want any air getting into the lines. I did on my first attempt and it took ALOT of wasted fluid to clear out the air.

Ive got EBC Rotors and pads on my RCS now and they are sensational and they look pretty good behind the 17" wheels to. I had EBC Brake fluild in my car and changed it to Motul RF600 damm great stuff and it about 30 bucks per 500mls. If you are going to change fluild for something better make sure you get rid of all the old crap in your lines i used a full bottle to flush out the crap. Good luck

Grant
    Yah its friday!!!!

Thread Information