205 Overhaul
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 Overhaul

Tadpole

Icon5 205 Overhaul

Hi Puggers

Advertisement

New here, but have been reading alot in the background. Now it has come to the time i need you help. So here goes my first post.
    Having planned to do a bit of work on my car (87 GTI 230 000kms) for over a year now, yesterday i liffted the thing on some axle stands and start pulling things of her. With a general clean-up and replacment of broken stuff in mind. Now i have most of the engine out i'm thinking of doing a overhaul, which was the plan for later on, but doing it twice is just silly. My question is what to do? Was thinking of just the usual rings, seals, gaskets and bearings. Something of intrest is that there is about 50mls of clean oil on the indside of the intake manifold. Is this just what comes thru the breathers or is there something wrong? Now where do i go for parts? I know peugeot parts is the best, but man the price is beyond me. Also i would like to do most myself. I have bit of knowledge and have changed the odd headgasket on friends cars, just don't know what to expect here. Really would like to say i've done it. So what are the pit falls and what sould be done? (eg honning, etc). Also the front suspension is past the use by date. The shocks had it the last 20 000kms and the bushes are all worn. Where do i go for these? Steering also a bad rattle. Is this the rack itself or just rod ends (maybe even the universal joints)?
    Well this sould do for now. Thanks in advance. You guys r great help.

Default Mi16 TIME!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Willi
    Hi Puggers
    p.
    I wouldn't bother with that enging... peugeot built them to go really hard indeed...though only to 200K Kms... if i were you i would get my hands on a Mi16 engine to slap in there. you have obviously put in the time to taking the car apart...

if not then i would raise the comp. get a lumpyer cam, balance the crank, give it a port & polish job, get a S3 gearbox and a 4.06 or 4.43 diff for neck snapping acceleration. to Quote some other members on the forum... a K&N 57i cold induction kit, and a larger fuel pressure regilator, to start.... if there are any more complaints about not enough speed then i would go for the Mi16 straight up and work that instead...

Cheers, GOOD LUCK, jus

Mi16 is an option, but not if you want an original car. The 8V is a reasonably simple engine but there a few things to watch out for which will determine your course of action:

Liner wear - if there's a ridge at the top of the bore, you'll need a piston/liner kit. Good value at approx. $1200. No ridge means it's been well looked after and a cheaper rebuild. The liners need to be clamped if your not touching the bottom end. Use the old head bolts and some water pipe/large washers etc. I'd do a compression test first. 180psi is healthy. I don't agree with oo-heh. These engines can go for 300-400K if well looked after. Piston/bore wear can be very savage in these engines if it's been flogged. Once the head is off you'll soon know.

Corrosion - this happens under #1 liner, at the back of the block (distrib. end), where flow is least.

Head - you'll need bronze inserts for the guides, a quality 3 angle grind and valves faced, if the head is virginal. You can skim up to 2mm if necessary.

The oil in manifold indicates some blowby is happening, but normal for age. These could be from faulty valve stem seals (very common), or rings.

There's obviously heaps more, but that will get you started.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Thanks Guys
    Don't really want to go to deep into things just need to make it feel fresh again and nice and clean. What r my option on a replacement engine from say a later model or am i barking up the wrong tree here? Would love to go faster but the pockets just aren't that deep. My worry is that when I pull the head off it can be a potential can of worms with an endless drain on the pocket. What about parts and where to go to get them?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willi
    Hi Puggers

New here, but have been reading alot in the background. Now it has come to the time i need you help. So here goes my first post.
    Having planned to do a bit of work on my car (87 GTI 230 000kms) for over a
    year now, yesterday i liffted the thing on some axle stands and start pulling things of her. With a general clean-up and replacment of broken stuff in mind. Now i have most of the engine out i'm thinking of doing a overhaul, which was the plan for later on, but doing it twice is just silly. My question is what to do? Was thinking of just the usual rings, seals, gaskets and bearings. Something of intrest is that there is about 50mls of clean oil on the indside of the intake manifold. Is this just what comes thru the breathers or is there something wrong? Now where do i go for parts? I know peugeot parts is the best, but man the price is beyond me. Also i would like to do most myself. I have bit of knowledge and have changed the odd headgasket on friends cars, just don't know what to expect here. Really would like to say i've done it. So what are the pit falls and what sould be done? (eg honning, etc). Also the front suspension is past the use by date. The shocks had it the last 20 000kms and the bushes are all worn. Where do i go for these? Steering also a bad rattle. Is this the rack itself or just rod ends (maybe even the universal joints)?

Well this sould do for now. Thanks in advance. You guys r great help.
    the rattle in the front suspension is most likely the shock mounts,i have just done new shockers and shocker mounts[shocks-$145 each- alanquant sachs brand] peugeot shocks are-$195 each. shock mounts -$130 each,also control arm bushes[$40 each by 4] tye rod ends $37 each -moog,sway bar links $66 each quinton hazell.
    the suspension is awesome now.
    the steering rack is where youre gonna have fun[NOT].i priced a new rack for my 87 gti and peugeot wanted,are you sitting down?,$1050.no thats not a typo one thousand and fifty dollars.
    i didnt want to pay this amount so i had my rack reco'd for $380 by prestige power steering in thomastown melbourne but have been back 4 times and still its not right,gotta go on fri again and if they dont get it right am going to demand a refund
    .maybe i should of saved time[not money] and got the new one?lots of tales about very limited success in recoing 205 steering racks.the first time i got the reco one back i couldnt turn hard right only half right along with general notchy feeling and far too stiff action.
    and it has not got better in fact now feels worse than before they worked on it .
    the only reputable firm in melbourne closed down last year due to retirement and prestige are the next best recomendation.if ya got the coin do it ,if not maybe wait till you have.i reckon thats what im gonna do if i get no satisfaction on friday
    hope this helps-BAZZ

Fitting time for this thread.

It would appear from initial compression tests that I have a stuck valve.

If this is the case, how much are the replacement valves?
    I would like to start getting the things required for this rebuild to save the 205 from sitting in the garage for too long....

Thanks!
    -- DJ

Tadpole

Hi DJ

When your done can you please tell me what you have learned (what to do, not to do, where to get stuff, prices, etc)? My pug is still standing on axle stands and not much has happened. Have cleaned a few things and the layers of oil have kept everything in good nick . I have however stumbled across the old drive shaft problem. Had the LH one reconditioned about a year ago for $450!!. But now its time for the RH 1. Yesterday i called around and a guy in town could do it for $240, i was a happy man, but today he called me to say that his suplliers can't supply him with parts for these shafts anymore, because there is no demand for it anymore!!!!!!!???? Now i'm stuck with a worn shaft. Don't realy want to send the thing down to Sydney but it seems that is going to be the only way. Any 1 know of where we can get these done? I know this question has been asked before by other members but i'm still without an answer.

Have fun with the rebuilt any way DJ

Will

Icon6 drive shafts.

yo man,
    i got new drive shafts for about 400 a side direct from regan motors(peugeot).this is the best was for drive shafts if your paying 240/300 for yours to be reco'd.

i just rebuilt my engine in a series1.i got the head reco'd, pistons and liners(only b'coz 2pistons where cracked)new rings,all gaskets and just about everything else around there!done the most part of it my self but just needed it back on the road so i got it finished off ny alpine in melbourne.

good luck with your mess, it get cleaner whne you put it back together!

hahahaha jords

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mi205
    yo man,
    i got new drive shafts for about 400 a side direct from regan motors(peugeot).this is the best was for drive shafts if your paying 240/300 for yours to be reco'd.

i just rebuilt my engine in a series1.i got the head reco'd, pistons and liners(only b'coz 2pistons where cracked)new rings,all gaskets and just about everything else around there!done the most part of it my self but just needed it back on the road so i got it finished off ny alpine in melbourne.

hahahaha jords

mate, no offense but can you put all that into english at all
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

yo man,

hahahaha jords

I didn t have any problems reading or understanding the above......I think his english is fine......he s not writing a thesis.....its only a reply to a post in a car forum...have I missed something.....

cheers

dino

ps...please don t force me to stand in the corner of the classroom sir.....

(dino....you can be a real cheeky bugger, ...you know that)...saves you bothering with the reply....

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mi205
    yo man,

hahahaha jords
    PugWreck has remanufactured driveshafts from France for less than $300, can't remember the price exactly.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    PugWreck has remanufactured driveshafts from France for less than $300, can't remember the price exactly.
    Graham

yep ,grahams right ,you can get reco ones from france at pugwreck in bayswater melbourne.they are $275 or i should say were,that was at the beggining of the year,might be higher,no one in melb will touch a peugeot 205 shaft ,they say they can fix it but when they pull them apart they soon re neg.
    hayden is a nice fellow out at pugwreck[just dont get the female ofsider on a bad day or youll know about it.]
    new shafts from peugeot are about $440.
    when they deleverd the drive shaft ,they sent the wrong one[end spline too big]so instead of leaving me in the lurch,hayden went to peugeot and got me a new one and HE paid the extra so i wouldnt be stuck,what a nice guy[nearly $200 bucks]
    so try him first-BAZZ[im sure they could post one]

Thread Information