S16 questions
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: S16 questions

Default S16 questions

Ok like most Pug people i have done all the basics to my s16 like EBC turbo groove front discs, full induction setup and 2.5' mandrel exhaust system among other small things.

I have grown used to the performance and wondering what i can do next! In my many trips to UK each year i have noticed that popular upgrades include inlet cam adjustable pulleys and also inlet cams. Whats is the benefits of each and/or both done at same time? If i did one or the other or both what settings/specs should i be looking at implementing? I'm not too concerned about getting the parts cause my parents live in UK and i have a parts hotline going lol!!!

Advertisement

Also i would like to know what the correct offset is for my car, i think it is like 28mm but not sure?

Is it possible to fit 307 or gti180 rims to my car and what sort of money would i be looking at if i could find a set?
    S16 ownership is like a fine french wine, perfection personified

Quote Originally Posted by QIK-516
    Ok like most Pug people i have done all the basics to my s16 like EBC turbo groove front discs, full induction setup and 2.5' mandrel exhaust system among other small things.

I have grown used to the performance and wondering what i can do next! In my many trips to UK each year i have noticed that popular upgrades include inlet cam adjustable pulleys and also inlet cams. Whats is the benefits of each and/or both done at same time? If i did one or the other or both what settings/specs should i be looking at implementing? I'm not too concerned about getting the parts cause my parents live in UK and i have a parts hotline going lol!!!

Also i would like to know what the correct offset is for my car, i think it is like 28mm but not sure?

Is it possible to fit 307 or gti180 rims to my car and what sort of money would i be looking at if i could find a set?
    Personaly I think 2.5" is too big for an exhaust system, 2 1/4" is better, but thats personal. GTi-6 headers/extrators made 4hp all the way throught the rev range on my S16, but they are expensive and rare.
    PETER T (peter taylor) sells, here on AF, a excelent exchange basis cam that works very well and has excelent gains. I would also have the basics checked, and make sure they are running well, by a good reputable pug expert.
    Next would be tyres, im asuming you are runing factory 15" rims, so your choice is excelent, do a search for tyres here on AF, keywords are tyres gti124 or lincon.
    Gti-180 rims bolt straight on but will scrape under heavy load, mainly on the inside plastic lining of the wheel arch and some on the front lips, but minimal.
    How much? ring peugeot spares... they are an OEM part/s.
    I also removed the interior and the spare,... ahff carpets are woosy any way...lol.-Chris

ps. Forget things from the UK we have great products here that actually work.... or is that the OZ coming out in me?
    ... ptui!

Thanks for the reply Chris!

I know all the basics are fine and everything to do with the car is spot on cause it has always been worked on by Pug experts either at my dealer (the mechanic there is old school and has 20+ years experience with pugs) and also Northshore Rally sport.

These cams sound like a good thing, i read somewhere else on here that they can 10kw which is impressive, but do you get a noticable loss in torque for a huge gain on top end? or is it a consistant power curve?

As for my rims yeah i am running standard 15s but i have upgraded to 205/50/15 tyres from Michelin and they are awesome in all conditions. They do rub under heavy loading in rear (mainly cause inner guards have warped from heat i assume) but clear front easy!! A problem i am about to fix anyway!

This is why i am not concerned about 180 wheels rubbing cause this is a easy fix anyway I have enquired with Peugeot on price and that quoted me 550 to 600 a rim for the wheels! I was mainly asking what sort of money they change hands for when people upgrade etc (if they do) and also do the 307 17's fit straight on?

Thanks for giving me a start anyway, hopefully some other members have something to add?

I found 205 tyres too wide for my S16 and went back to 195/50/15. Excellent choice of types and you get a better tyre for the same money as they are narrower.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Good luck mate, the charactesristics of PeterT cam is pretty linear, but his the best man to private message to.
    205/50/15 is in my 2c opinion a bit of a miss match for the factory 15" the palce the sidewall at an obscure slant and make the tyres slip angle okward and somewhat a little upredictable, but as the say its all what you feel.
    ... ptui!

Zen

I agree with Chris and Brad on the 205 tyres. I have them on my S16 and on the street they are good, less traction loss but on the track the sidewalls just flex too much as they have a bulge in them already. Wouldn't mind throwing the 195 semi slicks on the S16 and taking it out on the track for the hell of it and see what it's like.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Good luck mate, the charactesristics of PeterT cam is pretty linear, but his the best man to private message to.
    205/50/15 is in my 2c opinion a bit of a miss match for the factory 15" the palce the sidewall at an obscure slant and make the tyres slip angle okward and somewhat a little upredictable, but as the say its all what you feel.
    Have a look at these before/after figures for a 1.9L. It will be even better with a 2.0L.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/taylor/p...cam_change.htm

I use Yoko AO32 195/55/15 on my track car. Definitely awesome. You need wider rim than 6" to run 205/50/15.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

QIK-516, yeah I've noticed the UK guys do quite a few cam mods to their cars. I'd advise you to leave the 15's on. 17's would be way too big and the handling would suffer with the 306's suspension setup I reckon due to increased wheel weight and also less compliance in the tyres itself.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Have a look at these before/after figures for a 1.9L. It will be even better with a 2.0L.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/taylor/p...cam_change.htm

I use Yoko AO32 195/55/15 on my track car. Definitely awesome. You need wider rim than 6" to run 205/50/15.
    Peter, those gains are pretty impressive. Do you know if the cam gives any gains on the XU10J4RS engine too?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thanks for the feedback guys, has really helped me out

I agree the tyres i have on are not right for the track but i only put them on for street use, which as Zen said has made a big difference! This is part of the reason i would like to put the 180 wheels on as they will be for just day to day driving, and serious driving will most likely have the original 15's on with some sticky 195 rubber

Peter i am really impressed with that cam, especially as what i can find from searches on here it is just a matter of slotting it in and driving away so to speak? I didn't think anyone in this country actually had anything for Pugs and thought i would have to go with Kent or Pipercross cams which i wasn't all that impressed with the gains when i went to Pug Performace in UK anyway for money.

Thread Information