Lambda/oxygen sensor
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Lambda/oxygen sensor

Hi, has anybody 'rejuvenated' a O2 sensor - if indeed it would be possible and how? Info would be appreciated as these are usually expensive items.
    JoBo

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Hi, has anybody 'rejuvenated' a O2 sensor - if indeed it would be possible and how? Info would be appreciated as these are usually expensive items.
    JoBo
    I bought a new 4 wire sensor for $100 this morning, as far as I know the type isn't critical.
    Graham Wallis

Some years ago I read about soaking the nose of it in vinegar, to perhaps revive it. The story was normal solvents were too vicious. How do you know it is defective? Have you measured its' output with a decent voltmeter, after the O2 sensor is warmed up?
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

I bought a single wire NGK oxy sensor (sold under the NTK brand for some reason?) for $58 to suit my Feroza last week. Check out their online listing here: www.ngk.com.au

Here's a blurb I wrote about oxy sensor operation, what goes wrong, what can kill them and how to fault find them - it's for a Feroza, but you may gain some useful info from it.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Mo...ic.php?t=24862
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

Icon11 O2 sensor

Not much you can do to repair them. If you buy a new one it is worth getting a good one. You can take steps to preserve them. The main way of doing that is to reduce unburnt hydrocarbon emissions at all engine speeds. Fouling from unburnt combustion by product is one of the reasons they run best above certain temperatures. To burn the crap off. The crap causes the sensor to read innaccuratly, the new wide band sensors have made an effort to correct this problem.

Als

1000+ Posts

Thank you everybody for the most useful answers! The NGK seems the go as Bosch is very expensive.
    It's actually for my nephew's Audi 80 '90 he just bought for $2800.- but it has a hunting idle when hot. The auxillary air valve is ok. The other cause for this problem is the O2 sensor on these cars i've been told.
    Our two R19 are going well.
    However, a few years ago we had an idle problem. It was not hunting but somtimes it would go high to about 1800RPM. I took it to two dealers who claimed to have Renault trained technicians and all the electronic testing gadgets.
    One had the car for a week and then told me - sorry, we cant fix it.
    The other one told me to replace the throthle switch and the trans. potentiometer for about $400 then. When i asked him if that would fix the problem he said that he couldn't guarantee. How sad is that?
    Lucky, after that i asked a mate with an understanding how things work (he only had a multimeter) and after checking for about half an hour he said it is probably a feedback from the alternator - and it was as a second hand one ($125) fixed the idle problem.
    Thank you
    JoBo

Thread Information