Info on Oil specs
  • Register
  • Help

Default Info on Oil specs

Often see people talking about certain grades/brands of oils and when you look at the can you find all these ratings (ie) "Exceeds **** standards" etc.
    Ever wondered what they mean? Just been pointed at this from the EEC who update their tests and test procedures every couple of years and are therefore very relevant to French cars.

http://www.acea.be/ACEA/20020618Publ...lSequences.pdf

Advertisement

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Back in the days when they sold decent oil, Respect Oils used to put out a brief on this couched in layman's terms...

I think I still have a copy somewhere, in fact I'm sure of it, but not here. The quality oils that Respect used to sell are now handled by Cadillac Oils of Regency Downs, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Back in the days when they sold decent oil, Respect Oils used to put out a brief on this couched in layman's terms...

I think I still have a copy somewhere, in fact I'm sure of it, but not here. The quality oils that Respect used to sell are now handled by Cadillac Oils of Regency Downs, of course...
    Ray, is there anything that they make nowadays that you reckon is better than 'back in the old days'????
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

XTC

Where's Jester he tests his oil every 5000kms ... obsessive? Maybe still be interested in the results.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Yeah, sure, jastanis... though your loaded question is miserably ill-informed...

Modern engines are sweeter than anything that existed event thirty years ago, more powerful, more flexible, more economical, many are more durable.

Likewise, oils have improved over the years. Just a look at oil change intervals tells you that, and it goes hand in hand with engine durability.

But this Respect business isn't anything about 'old days' at all... it's all pretty much less than a decade ago. My 'back in the days when they sold decent oil' comment was purely about Respect.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 8th September 2004 at 08:18 AM.

Ray,

Wasn't "Respect" the oil company founded by a woman who from memory was the widow of a crop duster pilot who was taken out in a crash, or am I thinking of someone else?

Alan S

Sorry Ray, my bad. I misunderstood and didn't realise you were meaning to say 'back in the days when Respect sold decent oil...."
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Wasn't "Respect" the oil company founded by a woman who from memory was the widow of a crop duster pilot who was taken out in a crash, or am I thinking of someone else? Alan S
    Nah ... R.E.S.P.E.C.T is a Aretha Franklin song Isn't it ???

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Nah ... R.E.S.P.E.C.T is a Aretha Franklin song Isn't it ???

- XTC -
    XTC!!!

Alan S

Colleen was her name, and she was certainly in agricultural aviation as well as trucking. Or she was from what she told me... but she had another guy in her life if that's the case.

Servicing the trucks and 'planes side by side led them to ask why the oils were different... when they finally got the right answers they started marketing the oils that did the best job under the Respect name. But later another supplier offered them what was supposed to be the same quality for a lower price, they switched to the other supplier and gradually found out (via customer complaints etc) that the quality wasn't the same.

They cared little at that time, as the business was in the process of being sold... and the buyer didn't know, nor did he want to know, as he wanted to make it all a marketing exercise.

Then, when it fell in a heap, PM Lubricants bought them out to give them a non-competitive semi-quality semi-wholesale arm to their business. At that stage George, who had been there as an employee for almost the whole time, got in touch with the original suppliers and started up what is now Cadillac Oils.

That's the story...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Colleen was her name, and she was certainly in agricultural aviation as well as trucking. Or she was from what she told me... but she had another guy in her life if that's the case...
    Colleen was her name,

She started out in truckin',

But when her man was killed by accident,

She branched out into........crop dustin'.
    Last edited by Stuey; 8th September 2004 at 10:10 PM.

Thread Information