Which gearbox oil for Mi16?
  • Register
  • Help
    Cal

Default Which gearbox oil for Mi16?

I have just replaced a cv boot on my Mi16. In the process I lost quite a lot of oil from the gearbox. It needs changing anyhow. I was going to use Castrol Syntrax full synthetic. However, as I don't know what is currently in there, won't I need to flush it? If so, what do you use and how do you do it? I was also told I could use Castrol EPX 75W/80. I have only been able to find it in a 20L drum. How important is the viscosity? Because I can get a Valvoline 75W/85. Also, where do you fill the gearbox? There is a sensor that goes in from the top, which looks like the spot. Any advice would be appreciated, like always.

Advertisement

Cheers,

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Cal

Thanks, any other opinions?

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Cal,

FWIW, I have been told by countless people overseas NOT to use synthetic in a BX16V gearbox under any circumstances and your Mi16 has exactly the same gearbox in it. They all report gearchanges getting progressively notchier until eventually, they drain & refill with straight 80. Others have gone 85/95 mineral with the same results.
    I've found of late that using my favourite mix of EMS80 + 125 mls of Nulon G-70 followed by a drain after say 5K klms and another refill withe the same mix, seems to flush all kinds of crap out of the gearbox and makes them slip through like never before.
    I've had a couple of PMs from people who have tried it & are amazed at the results. I think Jason20 may have also had good results from it too.
    This is from an overseas site; the guy is an engineer and in conjunction with another has written other guides on maintenance on French cars so he knows his onions.

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/...ransmissionOil

To fill the gearbox, I usually go in under the passengers side front guard.
    The drain plug is attached to the final drive so it appears to be away from the main gearbox and takes a 19mm socket

Repeat: a 19mm socket

The drain plug points towards the rear of the car - NOT Downwards.

The reason I'm spelling it out like this is that there's a 16mm bolt on the bottom of the gearbox and it holds the reverse idler in place, and if removed and the gearlever moved, wheels turned or engine started, can cause some major dramas; I won't go into the gory detaisl, it'll only give you nightmares... so regardless of what anyone tells you... Don't touch that one!!!
    The level plug is also 19mm and will be looking at you from the RHS of the end plate of the transmission. I usually buy the Castrol gear oil, 80 grade in 1 litre bottles as they come with a spout that will fit into the level plug hole.
    Pour about a half litre in & remove the bottle. Put the Nulon in with the remaining 500mls and shake up & then pour the rest into the transmisision. Pour enough from the second bottle until it starts to dribble out of the level plug hole and replace the plug.
    The gearchanges will improve within about 10 klms and any strange noises about the same time.
    Synthetics in these as I say I have been constantly told are a waste of money and make things worse. It apparently has something to do with the metals the synchros are made from; later cars, different story.
    Incorrect rating....absolute bloody disaster!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Also if your drian plug needs a new washer dont hesitate, I didn't renew mine & then it started leaking..

I followed Alans instructions using the nulon G70, fanstastic stuff, my g'box was very notchy before, I had to fight it when it was cold. now it's silky smooth.

Cal

Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks guys, off to Supercheap.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks guys, off to Supercheap.

Cal.
    Give us a report after you've done it; if you're not rapt, you'll be the first not to be.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Cal

I finally got around to putting the gearbox oil back into the Mi16. I used Castrol VMX80 with 125mL of Nulon G70. It is easier to get into 1st when cold. Haven't really noticed to much difference other than that. The gearchange has alway felt fine though. So it wasn't like I was trying to fix a problem or anything. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Thread Information