205 mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 mi16

Tadpole

Default 205 mi16

hey guys, i am intending on buying a 205 gti in the next 6 months, i will preferably wait until an mi16 is available, my budget will aim to be $20 000 in the short run. What i want to know is how we can make this pug really fly. I have heard of mi16's that accelerate 0-100 in sub 6-second range. So that is my aim. I want to spend 10 000 on the car itself to ensure it is a good quality motor, and the other 10 on mods. Obviously brakes and suspension is top of the list but i just wanna know any ideas u guys had. i posted a similar thread in the general peugeot forum, but i am hoping u guys are a little better.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by pug maniac
    hey guys, i am intending on buying a 205 gti in the next 6 months, i will preferably wait until an mi16 is available, my budget will aim to be $20 000 in the short run. What i want to know is how we can make this pug really fly. I have heard of mi16's that accelerate 0-100 in sub 6-second range. So that is my aim. I want to spend 10 000 on the car itself to ensure it is a good quality motor, and the other 10 on mods. Obviously brakes and suspension is top of the list but i just wanna know any ideas u guys had. i posted a similar thread in the general peugeot forum, but i am hoping u guys are a little better.
    There's a few available at the moment, PeterT is building one to sell which, given his expertise, will no doubt be a good thing.

Even mine will be available in a couple of months (possibly earlier for the right $'s), with the advantage of having most of the hard stuff done already, Koni's, AP diff, Autronic ecu etc etc. Mine is a race car though (road registered) with full cage, race seats etc, so may not appeal, on the upside it is a Series 3, most conversions have been based on earlier models.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ur a maniac

how about u just give me $20K and i'll get my mate to knock off a porsche for you!

u could wallop a lot of cars... bugger it, jet planes with a 205 with that much in it!
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

I wasn't going sell mine for quite that much. It's definitely going to sell as I've commited to something. Have a look at this thread:
    205 Mi16 Makeover
    I get the shell back early next week from the panel shop, so I'll upload some pics. and continue the story. If you're really keen, feel free to come and have a look before I put it all together.

The key to accel'n is gearing. Most 205 GTi's are over geared.
    Last edited by PeterT; 30th August 2004 at 07:58 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

yeh, i know the ones which are for sale but the reality is i wont be starting the project until early to mid 2004 when i have some more time on my hands... i am deferring from uni for a year to get a part-time job, relax, and build one hell of a peugeot.
    i also had gear ratio's in mind. how are the stock gear boxes in the 205's though, i mite go get a better one... but my question is to u guys, what do u think are the most cost effective engine modifications?
    the idea would be to get a car which has already had the majority of the work done ie. had the mi16 engine transplant, and perhaps the brakes and ssuspension and take it just to that next level.... by the way, has anyone ever seen the euro spec mi16 engines in australia... they go alot harder.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by renn_205
    ur a maniac

how about u just give me $20K and i'll get my mate to knock off a porsche for you!

u could wallop a lot of cars... bugger it, jet planes with a 205 with that much in it!
    wouldnt u love to see a 205 race some poseur in his brand new carrera and smash him???

wouldnt u love to see a 205 race some poseur in his brand new carrera and smash him???
    yeah sure would. but what is also funny is as if u'd give me $20K, and if u did, thats a pretty crap trade for me, especially if i was doing dodgy trading. i would take ur $20k and the Porsche!
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

... but my question is to u guys, what do u think are the most cost effective engine modifications?
    the idea would be to get a car which has already had the majority of the work done ie. had the mi16 engine transplant, and perhaps the brakes and ssuspension and take it just to that next level.... by the way, has anyone ever seen the euro spec mi16 engines in australia... they go alot harder.
    Inlet cam and compression, assuming everthing else is healthy. The catch is you can only increase cam timing so much without more compression. There's various ways to get extra compression, depending on how deep your pocket is. My previous Mi16 was a personal import with the 160hp engine. The engine for the car I'm building will have the same power.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by renn_205
    yeah sure would. but what is also funny is as if u'd give me $20K, and if u did, thats a pretty crap trade for me, especially if i was doing dodgy trading. i would take ur $20k and the Porsche!
    well now, thats just plain dodgy isnt it... if you werr in tht sorta trade though then wouldnt u.... good thing im not into dodgy trading i spose

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Inlet cam and compression, assuming everthing else is healthy. The catch is you can only increase cam timing so much without more compression. There's various ways to get extra compression, depending on how deep your pocket is. My previous Mi16 was a personal import with the 160hp engine. The engine for the car I'm building will have the same power.
    when will that be finished??? will u be doing suspension and brakes??.... how old is the motor???

hmmmm..... early interest.... how much?? (since this is a project which me and a friend are doing, we have agreed not to spend more than a certain amount on the car)

Cal

Sub $10k 205 Mi16 for sale 205 Mi16 for sale

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

when will that be finished??? will u be doing suspension and brakes??.... how old is the motor???

hmmmm..... early interest.... how much?? (since this is a project which me and a friend are doing, we have agreed not to spend more than a certain amount on the car)
    finished Oct/Nov
    Koni shocks/Bilstein springs
    40 slot Tarox rotors/ Pagid pads
    engine has done 140 000 Km
    $12-13K

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

so guys anymore ideas to make the fastest 205 going around?? i had a look at some websites and i tried to figure out whether it would be worth turbo charging... it would be cool but if i go down that path it would be almost 100% un-sellable, and i think the car would eventually just die... would fiddling with the induction release a few horses? i no every1 seems to be critical of exhausts, but i will probably go down that line as well.... hmmm.... well u guys are meant to be the guru's.

btw, petert, how hard is it to do the work u suggested myself???

You could buy my car for $7k and have plenty to fix up the little things and do the interior etc.

No its not an Mi16 engine but its got more power than a standard one anyway, and thats without the nitrous.

Cal

so guys anymore ideas to make the fastest 205 going around?
    Buying a car would be a good start.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Buying a car would be a good start.

Cal.
    yeh, as i already sed, its a future project, so i am just trying to guage costs, and maybe help some others who want to do similar projects...

Hey while we are on the topic of it. I am going to be bringing an engine home from the uk in about a year or so and have been ringing around to get prices on a gti6 gearbox. Would it be worth the hassle getting the 6speed. And i am aware of the loss of turning circle. Or would it be best to just get a BE3 and put the MI16 diff and forget the 205 mi16 6 speed dream.

Also as Peter T said the regrind on the inlet cam will see you with more HP than doing an exhaust. Of course. (that rymes)

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Default Gearboxes for Mi16's

Quote Originally Posted by cam85
    Hey whil.........Of course. (that rymes)

Cam
    Cammie That sounds like a great idea. You mentioned that you know that you will loose on the turning circle. Just wondering What the difference will be between the norm (S3 turning circle... with 15" speedlines, not S1 or S2 with 14:ers)

Cheers, jus.

I believe it will be a little worse than the s3 turning circle but i would be able to live with it. Just think 6 speed in the 205. Oh the pain of living in london not having a car. Its killing me. But im going to see Luke UKs car tomorrow and watch some rally action somewhere in Kent.

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

mi16's that accelerate 0-100 in sub 6-second range.

Dude if u wanna go fast jus buy a motor bike.. they accelerate 0-100 in 3 seconds for $12k.

Thread Information